Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bottom up lighting

Options
Especially when using a lump reducer, I often light by pushing a lighter square in the bottom of the Egg. Seems to work fine and doesn't need any extra help as with top down. Anyone else do this?
Kemah, TX

Comments

• CLT_BGE
    CLT_BGE Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm interested in the replies here. I've got nothing to add though (I'm only 2 weeks deep with mine).
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I'm sure that some will say that this is wrong, but it works well for me.
    Kemah, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have had good luck doing this for higher heat cooks but didn't like it for sub 300* cooks.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I used to advocate that for anyone using a small. I coined a silly term of "light it low for high and light it high for low" meaning a fire started underneath seemed to develop a better high temp fire since it created a natural updraft via the bottom vent and lit the lump above. Conversely a fire started on top had to burn downward to get really rolling and therefore a low and slow cook benefited for starting on "high".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    RRP said:
    I used to advocate that for anyone using a small. I coined a silly term of "light it low for high and light it high for low" meaning a fire started underneath seemed to develop a better high temp fire since it created a natural updraft via the bottom vent and lit the lump above. Conversely a fire started on top had to burn downward to get really rolling and therefore a low and slow cook benefited for starting on "high".
    I like it!  It definitely makes sense.  

Although that is a phrase, not a term :-B :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have been an advocate of bottom lighting for several years-regardless of low&slow (one spot, forward of bottom dead center) or hot&fast (two or more).  Even though an air-flow limited environment, all the fires I have seen (volunteer firefighter for more than 12 years) prefer to burn "up" for fuel before burning down.  Now jinxed, but have never lost a fire.  FWIW-YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    I use the oil and paper towel trick and light from the bottom vent every time. Works for me.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I bottom light with paper towel and oil for hot cooks (pizza, steak). Have noticed an interesting thing happen a few times now. Lots of bad smoke, temp not going above 250 after about 10 minutes or so. Burp the Egg, VERY carefully. Got a huge flashback, all the bad smoke went away and temp rose to 600 or so immediately. Ready to cook.
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options

Although that is a phrase, not a term :-B :P
    Aye Aye, Sir! I stand corrected! The one thing I forgot to add was starting from below definitely consumes more lump if any body cares to know that!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I never light through the bottom but I always make a cave in the middle of the remaining lump and put the cube in there and then build lump around it. I do it for low and slow or high temp cooks both come to temp much faster than lighting from the top.
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I do what @Lit said...  At first I was opening the bottom draft door and placing a weber wax cube in there, and that worked great.  You get a very tall flame, and it easily goes up thru the fire grate.  But then I changed my technique and tried burrowing down thru the remaining lump all the way to the grate, and placing the cube directly on the grate.  You get great airflow to the cube this way.  I light it and wait a few seconds for it to really get going, then pour new lump around and on top of it.  Then I will take the ash tool and kinda open up the charcoal abit over the cube, so I can see the flame come thru the top of the lump pile.

It seems to get going faster this way, maybe cuts 4 or 5 minutes off?  Might be because the cube is surrounded by charcoal, and I am getting more heat into the coal from the cube.  Where when it is down in the ash collector, a lot of heat is absorbed by the ceramics in that area.  

For low and slow cooks, I pull out the bow drill and get my tinder bundle ready.  Or if I'm in a hurry, I will just put the cube in a crevice on the top of the lump pile.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I use the paper towel and oil trick and light from below on my Mini.

Weed burner for the large.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    with the mini vision kub i light from below with papertowel and oil. sometimes light from below when doing hot cooks with the large, but have had problems developing color and bark on some cooks with low and slows on the large so have gone back to lighting on top with low and slows on the large
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I have always used Weber paraffin wax squares to light with , put them at the bottom and build a teepee of sorts over the top

Maybe i should try lighting on top for low and slow

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited July 2014
    Options
    When I bought my first egg the dealer told me to stick newspaper in the lower vent. I did that a few times and realised that I was burning way more lump than I should have. If you fill an egg to the top of the fire ring and do a short cook, then remove the lump that has been ignited, you will find most of the lump has not been on fire at all.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Options
    My question is how do you burn off the VOCs if you light from the top? Aren't you burning them off as the fire burns down while you are cooking?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you light it from the top, like a candle, the lump (say you have an 8" deep pile of lump) below is out of the hot effluent from the fire.  Most VOC driven out by heat from the lump below the fire goes through the active fire and burns, getting consumed.

Contrast that to lighting on the bottom.  The heat cooks and outgasses the unburned fuel above it.  You're cooking unburned lump.  

Options
    That does not make any sense. As the fire burns down it lights completely unburned lump. At least from the bottom it has had 300 degree temps going through it.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @Lit . I concur (!) with @nolaegghead. The VOCs are burned off by the heat above, effectively sucking them out of the firebox, to burn cleanly as the fire gets lower.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Lit
    Options
    We all know heat rises obviously. I'm not sure on a low and slow how heat could go down around lump and burn off vocs. That's just always been my thinking. I was on the forum for a good 2 years before I even realized others were lighting from the top.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Lit, it goes up.   Think about a candle made with sawdust and wax what would happen if you light the top versus invert it. 
    Options
    Both fires are burning at the same temp how is one outgasses and one consumed? What temp do VOCs burn off at?
  • nolaegghead
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I dunno.  But I don't want unburning wax above this with all the wax fumes going into my food.  The VOCs (wax) are going up into the flame and being burned.  Turn that upside down and you get smokey wax fumes because the heat travels further than the fire. 

Options
    Lit said:

That does not make any sense. As the fire burns down it lights completely unburned lump. At least from the bottom it has had 300 degree temps going through it.

I agree with Nola too. VOCs are released long before the lump lights. They start being released at 300ish degrees, not burnt off(consumed).
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Some guy who used to post here named 'stike' once said "the VOCs aren't remnants of the fire we are cooking with, but actually from the process of making charcoal in the first place. it's a minor difference, but it explains why there are VOCs in the charcoal even if your fire isn't lit. and it explains why your fire (which is heat, plus a draft) can help drive out the VOCs early in a cook, so that your unburnt charcoal isn't still laden with VOCs later at the end of a cook, or as the fire ignites new charcoal to be ultra picky, "volatile" doesn't necessarily mean "flammable", just that they readily evaporate. " Not sure who he is but I had this bookmarked.
    Options
    So if they are released at 300 lighting from the bottom means pretty much all the lump has been subjected to 300 plus degrees if the dome is 25o and the VOCs have been consumed before the food goes on. If you light from the top the lump a couple inches down has never made it near 300 and wont until your food is on and then the VOCs are released. That's how I have always thought of it. Who knows it doesn't seem like it matters either way since people have done both with no issues.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I use a small amount of lump in a lump reducer, but enough for most cooks. With bottom up lighting, I quickly get to a state where all the coals are lit.
    Kemah, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I started out lighting from the bottom because I thought it made sense. But, immediately noticed a boat load of bad smoke and for a long time especially if I was doing a L&S. Similarly on higher temp pizza, searing etc. That was before I really grasped the VOC concept (sight and scent). I too noticed my lump didn't seem to be lasting very long.
    I now light from from the top. Whether I light in 1 spot or 3-4 the VOCs dissipate quicker and lump lasts longer.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @SenacaThe Younger must be estivating at camp. He would have a treatise on this (or any other) subject.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Options
    The one true way of lighting the egg is with a weed burner.  I bought one of those that take a small gas bottle off Amazon. Somebody here recommended it. 

It's awesome. I used to light from the bottom when I was in a hurry to eat, but I no longer need to.