Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about a SRF brisket

Options
I received a 17lb SRF brisket yesterday to do for the 4th of July party we're having. I'm going to keep it simple with just s&p and chunks of oak done at 250-275 on my large.

Here's my question - in the past when doing choice or prime brisket, I can expect about 1.5 hrs/lb before it's done. Should I plan on a SRF brisket taking a longer or shorter time? I don't want to screw this up by miscalculating the time. We are supposed to eat at 6:00 on the 4th and I'd like it done by 3:00-3:30 so I can FTC for a couple of hours.

Thoughts?
Large BGE

Neenah, WI

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Stoogie-Congrats on the SRF brisket.  I have only cooked one of those (Father's Day self gift) and it was 13.5#'s before trimming.  Figure it ended up somewhere a bit above 12#'s when trimmed.  I was alerted thru the forum members who have cooked them in the past that it would likely finish (smooth probe of the flat) at a lower temp than other cuts.  They were right-I started checking once in the low 180's and it was "done" around 188*F.  This is most probably due to the extensive marbling of the beef.  The cook (at around 260*F +/- on the dome, LBGE) took around 13 hours.   Hope this helps.  Maybe @cazzy will be along as he has done them, along with @nolaegghead and @Cen_Tex and a few others.  Enjoy the journey and Happy Birthday USA.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I only cooked one and it cooked faster than choice and select briskets I had cooked in the past. Lousubcap is right about checking for doneness earlier.
    Congrats on the srf! Got one coming also soon from daddy's day. Following this one close. Am thinking mine will be around 12 lb on arrival. Please post results on time and temp. Gonna go s$p as well but unsure on timing since this will be my virgin brisket. Have a safe an Happy 4th! USA!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @marysvilleegger-that is quite a way to jump into the brisket pool!  You may want to "practice" on a "training brisket" before casting your lot with the SRF.  That way you will also have a taste and texture comparison.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    Thx @ lousubcap! Brought this exact same argument up to swmbo last night and her rebuttal was if yer gonna do it lets do it right! What can I say....I gotta winner! Might try and sneak one in before but who knows :P
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Gonna be a fun ride for sure-best of luck...and if you can "sneak in a brisket cook" then you are running in a different SWMBO world than I am eggsperiencing. :)>-
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I would have not started checking it until it hit 190* otherwise. I'll make sure to take pictures and update the post. Thanks again!
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    +1 for probing earlier but they don't always finish earlier.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited July 2014
    Options
    My SRF finished in low 180s so I was say think early instead of late. You will enjoy it that's for sure!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There is so much fat in an SRF brisket that it's more resistant to "over cooking" than your typical brisket. They're all overcooked - the fat and collagen turned gelatin make them seem moist.
    Options
    Well, I can say without a doubt in my mind that was the best brisket I have ever had. It was so flavorful, so tender and damn good!

I started this bad boy at about 11:00PM on July 3rd, hoping to pull it off at 4:00PM July 4th. I started with the temp on the Egg at 260* and the IT started out at 55*. 2 hours later, I'm staring at an IT of 140 and climbing. I'm freaking out because it rocketed so fast. So I cut the temp down to 230* and prayed for an early stall. The IT slowed down, I calmed down and hit the rack at about 3:30AM.

I woke up at 7:30AM and the IT was 157* and it stayed there until noon. At 2:30, the IT hit 180*, so I started probing. Only the very outer edges of the brisket probed like butter. I bumped the Egg temp back to 250* and waited until the IT hit 185*. It was better, but not where it needed to be, so I waited until the the IT hit 190* and checked again. Closer, but the thickest part of the flat was still not probing like butter. My other problem was that I needed the Egg because I had prepared 80 pig shots and those needed to start. So, I bumped the Egg to 300* and once it reached 300*, I took the brisket off and FTC'd it. This was at 4:30. When I took it off, there was still just a little resistance, but I could live with it.

I didn't end up slicing it up until almost 7:30 and it was great! I had a lot of compliments. I'm definitely a fan of SRF brisket now and now know that the hype matches reality.

Some general thoughts.....I seasoned with only s&p....cut maybe a half pound of fat off before seasoning, so I'm calling this a 16.5lb brisket.....it was too long for my Large, so I put a rib rack underneath it, which might have contributed to the temps rising so fast....I took the rack out from underneath it at about 11:00AM.....I definitely agree with what people who posted above said regarding starting to probe at 180* for two reasons - one, the SRF brisket does cook much differently than a "choice" brisket and - two, this is an expensive piece of meat and deserves that kind of attention.....I wish that I could afford to do SRF briskets every time, but from now on, there will be a SRF brisket done at least once a year in this house!

Sorry for no finished pics....when I was ready to slice it up, there had to have been 10-15 people around me watching what I was doing. imageimageimageimage
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • lousubcap
    Options

Glad it was a success and to your point, the quality of meat does have the biggest impact.  Thanks for the detailed write-up as well.  I too would like to spring for SRF for every brisket cook but I think you can do quite well with a nice prime cut.  But definitely a once (or maybe twice) a year treat. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My first brisket cook on the egg was a SRF.  AMAZING!!!  Finished faster than expected and IT was around 197.  Thanks for the write up.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Cooked a wagyu brisket Saturday night/Sunday (not SRF -- bought at a place called Meat House and the price made me feel like a meathead).  Short answer:  it was the best brisket I've ever cooked or eaten, hands down.  

Had a fair amount of issues getting it done, though.  It was huge -- close to 16 lbs; I planned for at least 15 hours on the egg and it was basically done in 11.  Used IT as a guide (shooting for 203), but the probe was sliding in and out like buttah at 195.  Figured with all that marble, it'd be fine at 203, 205 and it was.  Pure awesomeness.  

Longer story and pix here if interested:  

It's a 302 thing . . .