Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
Bwill
Bwill Posts: 102
Calling all pros out there.  I am going to attempt ribs for the first time.  What tips and tricks do you suggest to avoid first timer mistakes?  Any sauce recipe's you can share?  Appreciate all feedback.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Lot's of different ways to cook ribs. Google search car wash mike ribs. That is a good one. Also, check out the naked whiz website. There is a good one on there also.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options

Depends on the ribs - Spar ribs I like a 3-2-1 method at 225. 3 hours smoke, 2 hours wrapped tight in foil with butter, dark brown sugar, 1 hour to set sauce. The last hour I always shut down the egg and just let the meat set.

Baby back ribs I like to just go straight through for about 5 - 6 hours until they pass the bend test. CWM recipe is very good, lots of steps and very well written out.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is the way I do them. And will do this weekend.
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub.
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited July 2014
    Options

I hate to sound like a broken record - oops forgot, no one knows what a record is. Anyhow for a first try at ribs, go turbo. It is simple, and the ribs turn out great. 3 hours total time including prep vs.6-7 hrs. Turbo ribs are great, and they are easy. I have never had one person say that they were less than excellent. I highly recommend them for someone who is in the early stages of learning temp control on the egg. Here's the drill:

• Trim ribs as necessary
    • apply light coating of rub
    • apply French's yellow mustard spread evenly with fingers to a thin coating
    • apply coating of rub and press in lightly
    • stabilize egg at 350 with smoking wood as desired, plate setter, drip pan (no liquid) raised with aluminum foil wads, and grill in place
    • Place ribs on the grill bone side down
    • set timer to 1 hour 45 minutes
    • leave it alone until timer goes off
    • Check (bend test or toothpick) - they will be done
    • apply sauce to ribs if desired for 15 - 20 minutes (not foiled!)
    • amaze your friends

While there are as many ways to cook ribs as carter has pills, this one is so easy.  If followed without alteration, the ribs turn out excellent and you look like a star.  When you are just starting why make it complicated? 

Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    Options

Here are a few hints that may also be helpful - tried to edit my last post, but denied by Vanilla.

This recipe is actually perfect for both St. Louis style spare ribs and baby backs.  Baby backs are usually completely done at 1:45, so sauce a little before if desired. 

The membrane covering the bone side of the rib should be removed - prior to applying the rub.

After applying the sauce, leave them on the cooking grid at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes.

I think baby backs are easier - little or no trimming normally required.  Purchased from Costco, the membrane is already removed.  St. Louis style require trimming to do right - do a search on trimming St. Louis ribs.

I don't claim to be an expert - this is how I do them.  It is simple and it works.  Mickey actually knows what he's talking about. His photo above shows how the ribs should bend when done.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Bwill
    Options
    Good stuff guys.  I went with St Louis by the way.  Not sure if that will change anything.
  • tksmoke
    Options

It doesn't change a thing.  But check out this video  (there are a bunch on you tube) for how to trim them.  It isn't difficult - lotsa folks just throw them on the way they come.  I've never received any that were correctly trimmed.  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gYOLV66XukY but it depends on where you buy them.  Most of mine come from that little boutique meat market named Costco.

If they aren't perfectly trimmed it won't really matter.  What happens is that the thin pieces take under an hour at 350, and would be way overdone at 2 hours.  You can wait an hour to put the trimmings on, or put them on when you start, and use them for snacks (I can't because I fill up on the snacks).  Or you can save them and cook them some other time. 

Enjoy!!! 

Santa Paula, CA
  • Bwill
    Options
    Good call on the trimming tip.  I would have never thought of that.  

Do I need a v rack?  It seems like a lot of people just put them on the grate and cook.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Bwill said:
    Good call on the trimming tip.  I would have never thought of that.  

Do I need a v rack?  It seems like a lot of people just put them on the grate and cook.  
    The main advantage to the rack is fitting more racks in the same space.
    Options

You don't need a V-rack unless you don't have enough grid space.  Depends on the size of the egg, and how many racks of ribs you are doing.  V-racks work ok - I like doing it directly on the cooking grid.  When you see photos from @Mickey, pay attention.  This ain't his first BBQ...

Having said that, be aware that there are a huge number of ways to do things.  We develop what we like or dislike based on our experiences.  I've made some really good ribs in v-racks.  When you start adding stuff to your egg, you will see all sorts of multiple grid setups.  They allow more flexibility in planning how to fit everything you want onto the available cooking surface.  Or, become buddies with @badinfluence - just fire up 8 or 9 eggs at a time.  Learning to take advantage of the available equipment is part of the enjoyment of egging.

Santa Paula, CA
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Another vote for turbo method! image
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • tksmoke
    Options
    @chainsaw19 - Those ribs speak for themselves - very nice!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Bwill
    Options
    Turbo is gaining ground.  3-2-1 was recomended to me by a couple of people.  Decisions, decisions...
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • tksmoke
    Options
    @Bwill - I want to let you know that unless you invite me over to share whatever you cook, it doesn't matter to me how you do them.  You asked for suggestions, especially regarding how to avoid first timer mistakes, and I provided advice to exactly that end.  Turbo ribs increase the odds of success, as they are easy and straight forward.  Hopefully these will not be the last ribs you prepare.  It's good to get successes under your belt before attempting anything complicated.  I wish you a good outcome no matter how you choose to prepare your ribs. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @tksmoke‌ said: No one knows what a record is.

Almost no one my friend. I to this day still listen to Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Dean, Conway Twitty, Johnny Horton and Charles Pride. All on my old vinyl records. There is just something about the sound of old country music and the static in the background that's records produce that is touching to me. Fixing to put on a 45 of Big Al Downing as we speak my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I'll be doing spare ribs on the 4th.  350 Turbo. Peach wood and either Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust or Three Little Pigs or both. 1 hour bone side done, flip, then 1 hour bone side up.  Once I see the pull back and they pass the bend test then sauce with 50/50 mix of Blues Hog and Sonny's sweet sauce.  Then it's off to enjoy single bite through tender ribs before going to the fireworks show.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Low and slow bro...5 hrs 230-250.
    imageimage
    Seattle, WA
  • Bwill
    Options
    Today is the day!

Thanks again everyone for your input.  I am going with turbo today.  I doubt that these will be my last ribs. 

Thoughts on Cosmic Cow for my rub?  I also have Whirly Bird but was thinking of Cosmic for today.  OR something else?  I will be picking up a few things later today I can pick something else up if it will be better.

Sauce or no Sauce?  I realize I probably just ignited World War 3 on here but thought I should ask for input as I am a rib newb.  I don't have any secret sauce recipes so I would probably just grab something from the store later.   
  • Desertegghead
    Options
    Should you let the ribs sit at room temp for a bit before putting them to cook if using the turbo method?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter how you cook them, letting them warm up to ambient doesn't make any difference.
    Options
    @bwill. No right or wrong answer as far as sauce or no sauce. Just personal taste. Sometimes I don't sauce at all, and sometimes I sauce for the last twenty minutes. Depends on what I feel like. Both are good. I like Bad Byron's, Mickeys Coffee Rub, and Dizzy Pig Rubs. Again, you can experiment with different sauces, rubs, and cooking methods. Most are good. That's what makes Egging so fun!
    GWN
  • Bwill
    Options
    Coffee rub???  Wow that sounds very interesting. 

@desertegghead good question thanks for asking.  I would not have thought of that. 

I think I will try one rack without sauce.  I think it would be good to be able to taste the meat/rub more.  Hell I might find out I prefer it to the sauce.  It's all about trying new things right guys?

A couple more hours before it's on!  I will try to post some pics once I figure out how.  
    :D
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Turbo for me also. As far as rubs, I personally like Dizzy Pig Rubs or Salt Lick.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• tksmoke
    Options

I try to keep the ribs cold until I throw them on the grid.  After applying the rub, I stick them back in the fridge. 

There are so many great rubs available, and it's fun to make your own.  Mickey's coffee rub is excellent.  I also like Meathead's Memphis Dust from the amazing ribs site http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

I've started using Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Dust, and their Dominator rub - but not everyone likes their ribs that spicy.  I generally do some mild ribs for folks who can't handle spicy.  As you experiment, you'll come up with combinations of rubs and sauces that give you a flavor profile you like.  For commercial sauces, I like Blue's Hog mixed 50/50 with Hot Thick Bone Suckin' Sauce.  Again, everyone has a preference, there isn't a "best" sauce.

Enjoy!!

Santa Paula, CA