Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gumbo recipes?

Options
Bring 'em on!
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's one in here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1164143/saturday-crawfish-boil-and-makin-gumbo#latest

Traditionally you use what you have or what's good at the time.  So any recipe is a general guideline.  Don't burn the roux!
    Options
    The one time I made it, I pieced together a seafood gumbo recipe based on the info in these two videos:

I made it on the stove in a cast iron pot. It seemed like making a roux for the gumbo didn't lend itself well to the BGE since you have to stir nonstop for a long time. I guess you could move it to the BGE after making the roux and adding more liquid.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    I was suppose to send you a gumbo recipe. Sorry that I haven't done so yet. Been back and forth to Providence hospital in Mobile Al. Have really had my plate full the paste few days. Will try to send it tonight when I'm home. Again I apologize for the delay.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I may have a very distorted view of what gumbo should be (I am a Yankee, after all.) When I think of gumbo, I think there is supposed to be some kind of seafood and sausage in it. I made one once that everyone raved over, but of course I was riffing off of several recipes and can't remember what the heck I actually did. I do remember that it took like....FOREVER until the roux was the color that I thought it should be. (I'm going to be cussed for being a Yankee heathen, but I'd rather not add the okra...spent more than a decade at Ft. Bragg and still never developed a taste for that particular...whatever it is. Also am not sure about file')
    Sandy
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    USUALLY, seafood and sausage go in different gumbos (although limiting the seafood to shrimp with sausage is pretty good).  Meat gumbos usually use different stocks then seafood.

Many gumbos don't use okra.

Really the nature of gumbo means you can do whatever you like, but there are certainly some things that work better than others. 

Use thyme.
    NOLA
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @‌SGH Don't you dare apologize, sir! You take care of whatever life is serving you right now, friend...and please let me know if I need to be sending healing thoughts out toward you and yours. I will be here waiting patiently in the interim.
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Well, then, what exactly makes a gumbo a gumbo rather than, say, a stew?
    Sandy
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    Chop up 1 large white onion, 1 green bell pepper & 3 stalks of celery.

Peel & devein a pound of gulf shrimp (put shells and heads, if you have them, in a pot with water, some of your onion and celery debris and boil it up to make some stock - you'll need at least 3 cups of stock, maybe more. You can supplement with chicken stock if necessary). Season shrimp with Chef Paul's Seafood Magic (or something else you like) and put in fridge. Slice a half pound of andouille sausage into quarter-inch rounds and then brown them in a nonstick pan for a few minutes until crusted just a bit. Remove and set aside on paper towel.

Assemble your spice mix in a cup: Half a teaspoon of cayenne, quarter tsp of white pepper, half tsp of black pepper (all three peppers are critical). Teaspoon of Kosher salt. Tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves (or half tsp of dried). 2 or 3 Bay Leaves.

1 cup of canola oil. Heat in a cast iron pan at high heat until starting to smoke just a bit. 1 cup of flour, vigorously whisked in. NEVER STOP WHISKING. And keep whisking until Roux turns a milk chocolate color. If you feel it is starting to scorch during this process, remove it from heat for a bit bit NEVER stop whisking.

When roux turns color of milk chocolate pour in a full bottle of beer, preferably a black lager, Abita Turbodog or Amber of some kind. Whisk that for a few seconds and then throw in all of your trinity (onions, peppers and celery). Toss in your spice mix. Stir with a wooden spoon until everything is coated with the roux.

Meanwhile, boil stock in a stock pot and then gradually spoon in the roux & veggie mixture, stirring each spoonful until well disolved into the stock. Dial heat on the stock pot down to medium. Let simmer for a bit then add andouille and shrimp. Check viscosity of gumbo and add more stock if necessary to make sure you are serving Gumbo instead of Etouffee.

Serve over rice (or potato salad).

• buzd504
    edited June 2014
    Options

When making a shrimp stock, toss the shells on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven until pink before boiling them (about 10 min).  Leeks and orange peel will also give the stock some nice flavors.

Also, cook your onions a bit so they caramelize before you add your peppers and celery.  Then garlic after that.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    edited June 2014
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    The roux, for the most part, but also the trinity (as opposed to a mirepoix, which has carrots) and the general profile of the ingredients and seasonings.

It could (and often is) certainly be argued that there is some crossover in definitions.
    NOLA
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    Sometimes I add crab to it. I'm not an Okra fan, but you might be. If adding Okra, you are on your own.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    edited June 2014
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    The difference is the roux, of course. You can make it like above till your arm falls off or you can put equal parts of oil and flour in a covered heavy enamel DO in a 375 degree oven for a couple of hours, stirring every twenty minutes until dark brown chocolate color.
    I make enough for 5 mason jars worth and keep it.
    It won't make your house smell for the next two days either.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's cajun and creole gumbos and there are seafood and non-seafood gumbos.  Occasionally you'll see, especially with creole versions in New Orleans, seafood and non-seafood in the same batch.  The roux and stock are the most important parts, in my opinion.  Focus on the roux and stock and keep it relatively simple, like andoille sausage and turkey, or shrimp and crab.  The stock should reflect on the main proteins - make it from seafood or fowl carcass, etc.
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌ The last time I truly took the time to make a dark, dark, roux, that's exactly what I did - made more than enough and kept the leftovers in the fridge!
    Sandy
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Try making the roux in the microwave. Easy. Just need to stir halfway through.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    In Chef John Besch's, My New Orleans Cookbook, he gives some great roux advice and since I've read it I haven't gone back to conventional roux making.  Basically, as long as your constantly whisking, you can have a dark roux in 15 min as opposed to an hour.  Get your 1:1 ratio of fat to flour (I prefer canola oil), heat the oil hot......hot hot hot. Toss is the flour to where the flour is basically shocked.  Keep whisking on high heat until you get before the color you want and then drop the temp and through in your onions. The sugar in the onions will carmelize with the heat and darken your roux even more.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I'm always open to new ideas - will give this a go. Although it'll be a while with 5 pints of roux put aside. Thanks - much appreciated.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    It's too hot to eat gumbo now. It Must be below 60 degrees.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Never too hot for gumbo!  Especially if you run your AC low.  :-)
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @cajuncook‌ Our low today is supposed to be 49 ;)
    Sandy
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    cajuncook,

Re: "It's too hot to eat gumbo now. It Must be below 60 degrees."

I eat gumbo weekly. I make 5 gallons at a time and freeze it in containers.

WHO DAT!
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• cfwilen
    cfwilen Posts: 27
    Options
    apinion said:
    In Chef John Besch's, My New Orleans Cookbook, he gives some great roux advice and since I've read it I haven't gone back to conventional roux making.  Basically, as long as your constantly whisking, you can have a dark roux in 15 min as opposed to an hour.  Get your 1:1 ratio of fat to flour (I prefer canola oil), heat the oil hot......hot hot hot. Toss is the flour to where the flour is basically shocked.  Keep whisking on high heat until you get before the color you want and then drop the temp and through in your onions. The sugar in the onions will carmelize with the heat and darken your roux even more.
    Came in to add this.  Worked in a couple restaurants while at Loyola in New Orleans in the early 90s.  Definitely not the way we made a roux then, but this is all I do now.  You definitely have to keep stirring, but you can go through all the stages - caramel, peanut butter, dark chocolate coloring, etc.  I use lighter roux for seafood gumbos (and now that I'm back in the NW - Portland on the weekends, and Seattle during the week, I love making gumbo with NW seafood), through really dark roux for andouille, duck, wild game gumbos.  As has been said, the roux and the trinity are your constants.  Beyond that, you make gumbo with whatever is available and the flavors follow the crops and harvests.  Don't try to stick to specific recipes - doesn't fly with NOLA cuisine.  Spice it until you like it as you won't spice a lighter seafood gumbo the same way you'd spice a gumbo with andouille. 

You don't have to use okra, although I think some darker gumbos benefit from them.  Okra is going to help thicken up your gumbos but you don't want to add it early and overcook.  If not using okra, you should use file'. 
    Portland, OR
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    this is the recipe/ techniques i follow
    from richards files

Stew, Gumbo, Chicken & Sausage, Chef Wil

INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups Peanut oil
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 large onion, 1 med. Bell pepper, and 2 ribs of celery (chopped)
    2 lbs Fresh pork sausage (cut in 3 in. lengths)
    1 lb Smoked sausage (sliced)
    2 49 1/2 Ozs Can Swansons chicken broth + 3 cups water
    6 boneless chicken breasts ( cut in fourths and seasoned with salt and pepper )
    1 Bunch Cut green onions
    1 Bunch Chopped fresh parsley
    8 hungry people or 4 cajuns….(wink)
    I used an 8 qt. dutch oven

Procedure:
    1 First you make the roux
    2 cups of peanut oil and 2 cups of all purpose flour
    3 (the peanut oil has a higher smoking point and a nutty flavor )
    4 Heat oil until it is about 350 degrees, add flour, being careful not to burn yourself because the flour does contain moisture, stir constantly and lower your fire so it does not scorch. Cook roux until it looks a little darker than peanut butter. Add chopped veggies, lower your fire to low and cook until veggies are partially caramelized. It will look like a nice cocoa color at this point.This really needs to be done on the stovetop so you can have more control over it. If you burn or scorch this, throw it away and start over, it’s the most important part of gumbo and the least expensive to throw out if need be. Move pot to the BGE that has been pre-heated to about 350. Add your fresh and smoked sausages in the pot and cook them for about 20 minutes. Add stock and water and cook until it starts to boil around the edges of pot. Add chicken and cook for about 1 hour or until meat is cooked. Adjust seasonings to your taste. Add green onions and parsley. Skim off any oil that may have surfaced. Greasy gumbo is not too appetizing. Serve in large bowls with white rice. A side of baked sweet potato or potato salad with crusty french bread is a must. Using this recipe for the roux, you have the basics, from here you can make seafood gumbo, shrimp and okra, duck and andoouille, really any combinations work. It is even common in South Louisiana to mix meats like chicken, sausage, shrimp, and oysters.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Chef Wil, 2003/10/28

Any questions feel free to e-mail me so as not to clutter the forum.

Note:. If using bone in chickens or hens, water is used instead of stock, too much chicken flavor may not compliment the gumbo and thus hides the taste of sausages.

I prefer using fresh hens, the flavor is more intense and the meat is firmer, you can also add an extra 2 hours of cooking time using hens instead of chicken.
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it