Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Pork Butts

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
1st time cooking two butts at the same time. I was hoping for 8lbers. Butcher gave me a 9 and 10lb. butt. Had a little trouble squeezing them on the LBGE. I know some of you are masters at stuffing a 100lbs on the Egg. Not me. No electronics or pit controllers. Started a bigger fire than needed. Used a half chimney starter of lump burning good. Egg temp never climbed above 280 degrees, but it was steadily climbing as I kept closing the vents. I think I got it stabilized at 250 degrees with plate setter in place. Butts on at midnight. Hopefully it won't snuff out. I've never had the vents closed this much. Spoke too soon. Just checked it and it was down to 210. I don't think it was from meat drain either. Opened it up some. Maybe I need a pit controller. Here's some pics of the start of my night. One rubbed with a coffee rub and the other with mustard and BGE seasoning. Both rubbed at 1700. imageimage Lightning imageimageimageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I think you'll be fine.  Putting that much pork on will make it drop.  I've had the vents closed like that to where I thought the fire was out, but it was fine.
    NOLA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I think you will be fine.  Next time start a smaller fire.  I usually start with a dozen or so pieces in the chimney, can catch my temp on the way up.  I have to comment on the high price of pork butts in Sheridan.  I bought two yesterday at $1.79, they went on at 7 this morning, cooking at 275.  I will be taking them to the beach as dinner for the first night for a large family group - sadly it will be reheated then.  Plenty of room on the XL!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • stemc33
    Update:

Butts on at midnight. Egg at 260.
    250 degrees @0030
    210 degrees @0100 Dome opened to check on fire. Vents adjusted
    250 degrees @0130 No changes
    225 degrees @0200 No changes
    220 degrees @0230 Vents adjusted
    245 degrees @0300 No changes
    255 degrees @0345 No changes
    260 degrees @0430 small DFMT adjustments
    240 degrees @0700 meat rotated and small DFMT adjustments. Butts at 155-165 degrees.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks like it is dialed in. Could be another 7-9 hours depending on the butts.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • stemc33
    8 more hours would be perfect. Dinners at 5:00.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tulocay
    Looking forward to the final results. I have been wanting to try Mickey's coffee rub on a butt.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • I just got 2- 6lb butts. Any idea how long to cook them.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    OK......now I'm hungry.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tulocay
    @PhillyBoy‌23 if your dome temp is 250' you can estimate 1.5 - 2 hours per lb. mine seem to be more near the 2 hr per lb mark.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    They look good. I'll have my vents choked down that much if I have a hot fire i am trying to contain. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't go down! judging from your past post you're up baby sitting the meat anyways :)
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    no controller is necessary, I just put on 3 butts totalling 22 pounds on Tuesday night at 10pm. Egg was stabilized at 250 for an hour before putting on the butts and then went to bed, woke up the am and the egg was still at 250, done at 1230pm next day, pulled and off to a work luncheon. The dome temp always drops with all the cold meat but comes back up with no issue.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• stemc33
    @PhillyBoy23‌ about 1.5 hours per pound at 250 degrees. You also could go turbo. You'll have to look at other post to see the approx times. Ultimately, they're done when they're done. 1.5 hours is just a guesstimate. Pull when it probes like butter. Temp when done will be somewhere around 200 degrees, but go by feel not temp.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Yep @wpendlegg‌ I'm a day sleeper anyway, so no big deal. As you can see the checking gets less as it gets closer to sunlight. Next check will be at 1130. I'll post an updated cook log at that time.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    I hear ya. As much as I like the hands-on experience of BBQ'ing something on the egg, I'm going to invest in a Maverick just so I don't have to worry about something getting done quicker than expected or egg temperatures passing some threshold of acceptable temperatures.

Good luck with it! I would love to see some finished pics.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • Thank you @stemc33‌ and @tulocay‌ . I'm going to put them on Friday night and bring them to the beach Saturday afternoon.
  • stemc33
    edited June 2014
    Update from 0900 thru finish: 1500 now and party starts at 1700. Whew! 250 degrees @0900. No changes. 245 degrees @1130. Butts are between 175-190. Like butter in pockets. No changes. 260 degrees @1400. 195-200 degrees 9lber. done. Like butter. Wrapped and put in preheated cooler. Adjusted vents. Going to try bringing up temp. Waiting on 10lber. to finish. 10lber finished @ 1500. A few stiff spots, but a thunderstorm is rolling in. Hopefully those will soften up in the cooler. image
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Looks like a homerun to me.. =D>

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Proverbial you nailed it! :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tulocay
    Great looking butts.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • stemc33
    Both were a success :)>- Coffee rub was liked more than the BGE seasoning. Here's another pic right before shredding. Thermo was 172 degrees after almost 4 hours in the cooler. The other butt was 171 degrees after almost 5 hours in the cooler. It seems like I'm always reading about egg to pull time so I thought I'd show a pic with the thermo in it. Wasn't worried about it, just took for reference. Just a regular cooler, no Yeti or high tech cooler. image
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    The pictured Butt has incredible coloring and bark. Was this the coffee rub or BGE seasoned butt? The last butt I did with Mickey's was incredible! Fantastic looking butts!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stemc33
    @NPHuskerFL‌ that's the Mustard and BGE Down and Dizzy pic.

Here's the coffee rub no mustard pic. image
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    @stemc33‌ I figured the coffee rub to be the butt toward the hinge section of the egg on the one pictured with both butts on the egg. I know the butt I did with Mickey's had crazy bark and was definitely darker in color.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tulocay
    Looks great. Nice pic after 4-5 hours in the cooler.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    well done
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!