Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spices online

Ktim
Ktim Posts: 364
Where do you people order your spices online? I have a place that I like but I would like to know more.

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Penzy's.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited June 2014
    dizzypigbbq.com   Great rubs.  Not really for other spices however.   Good website too!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Ktim
    Thanks@jhl192 I almost forgot about that but I am looking for spices to make my own rub.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a local place called the Spice Mill that usually has what I need. They have online ordering, but I've never used it since it's 5 miles away.

The two that I most often see mentioned are Penzeys and the Spice House (which was the original before a brother (or sister?) split off and opened Penzeys.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Penzeys or The Spice House.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Your local Indian and East Asian shop....cheap.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Those previously mentioned are great, I have been getting many bulk spices from here for several years.

• Carolina Q
    edited June 2014
    Little Steven said: Your local Indian and East Asian shop....cheap.

Good point. I was in my local Indian market
     the other day. Selection was quite limited, but what they did have was well priced. Have more trouble in the huge Asian market. Can't read the labels!  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    edited June 2014

Your local Indian and East Asian shop....cheap.

Good point. I was in my local Indian market the other day. Selection was quite limited, but what they did have was well priced. Have more trouble in the huge Asian market. Can't read the labels!  :D [
    1. Aniseeds, Fennel Seeds – Saunf
    2. Asafoetida – Hing (good for digestion)
    3. Basil Seeds (sweet basil) – Sabja Seeds, Subja, Falooda Seeds, Tukmaria
    4. Bay Leaf – Indian Tej Patta, Tamalpatra. Tej patta leaves are commonly called as Indian bay leaves. But they are not related to the Bay laurel leaves. Both have different appearance and aroma. Tej patta has an aroma similar to that of cinnamon bark while bay leaves have a lemony aroma.
    5. Big Mustard Seeds – Sarson
    6. Black Cardamom – Badi Elaichi
    7. Black Cumin Seeds – Kala Jeera
    8. Black Mustard Seeds – Rai
    9. Black Pepper – Kali Mirch
    10. Black salt – Kala namak (used in shinkanjvi – indian lemonade or you can add them in fruit juices. it has a sulphric taste and add a lot of zing to the drink.)
    11. Caraway Seeds – Shahjeera
    12. Carom Seeds, Thymol Seeds, Oregano, Bishops Weed – Ajwain
    13. Chilli Powder – Lal Mirch Powder
    14. Cinnamon - Dal Chini
    15. Clarified Butter – Ghee
    16. Cloves – Laung, Lavang
    17. Coconut Desiccated – Sukha Nariyal ka Choora/Boora
    18. Coconut Dry – Sukha Nariyal, (Copra in Marathi and Gujatari)
    19. Coconut Fresh – Nariyal, (Chobra in Marathi)
    20. Coriander Powder – Dhania Powder
    21. Coriander seeds – Sabut Dhania
    22. Coriander, Cilantro – Dhaniya, Dhania
    23. Cumin Seeds – Jeera
    24. Curry Leaves – Kari Patta, Kadipatha
    25. Dry Fenugreek Leaves – Kasoori Methi
    26. Dry Ginger – Saunth, Sounth, Soonth (saunth chutney recipe is posted in the blog)
    27. Dry Mango powder – Amchur (very often added in punjabi recipes like chole, rajma.)
    28. Fenugreek Seeds – Methi ke Dane
    29. Fenugreek – Methi
    30. Garlic – Lasan, Lahsun, Lahsan
    31. Fresh Ginger – Adrak, Adhrak
    32. Dry Ginger – Saunth, Sonth
    33. Green Cardamom – Hari Elaichi , Choti Elaichi
    34. Green Chilli – Hari Mirch
    35. Ground Nut, Peanuts - Moongphalli, Mungphali
    36. Holy Basil – Tulsi
    37. Jaggery – Gur
    38. Palm Jaggery – Tara Gura, Sharkara Tada
    39. Lime – Nimboo, Nimbu
    40. Cocum, Kokum – Bhirinda, Bhirnda
    41. Lime peel – Nimbu ka Chilka
    42. Mace – Jayitri, Javitri, Javntry (click to see pic of mace)
    43. Mango Powder – Amchur
    44. Mint – Pudina, Podina
    45. Nutmeg – Jaiphal
    46. Onion – Piaz, Peeaz or Pyaaz
    47. Onion Seeds – Kalonji, Kalaungi
    48. Pine Nuts – Chilgoze or Nioze
    49. Dry Pomegranate Seeds – Anardana
    50. Poppy Seeds – Khus Khus
    51. Raisins – KisMish.
    52. Red Chilli – Lal Mirch
    53. Rock salt – Sendha Namak (normally used in religious fasting as the common salt is not allowed during fasting/vrat).
    54. Rock Flower or Stone Flower - pathar phool (in hindi), kalpaasi (in tamil) and dagad phool (in marathi language…in marathi dagad means stone)
    55. Sesame Seeds – Til
    56. Saffron – Kunkuma, Kesar
    57. Star Anise – Chakriphool
    58. Sultanas - Munacca (easily available in north india).
    59. Tamarind - Imli
    60. Turmeric – Haldi
    61. Vetiver – Kewra
    62. Vinegar – Sirka
    63. Water Melon Seeds – Magaz ]

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    +1 to what LS said. An Indian /Pakistani grocer will have certain spices for a fraction of what Penzey's charges e. g. cardamom, cumin, coriander, cloves, cayenne, star anise, etc.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I buy a few favorite ready mixed items from Penzeys such as their Arizona Dreaming and their Old English Prime Rib mix plus some peppers. I buy in quantity to take advantage of free shipping and then divide the quantities and seal in Food Saver material and freeze it. That works for me. I learned long ago that buying and mixing my own rubs was a waste and a folly after I found Dizzy Pig.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    caliking said:
    +1 to what LS said. An Indian /Pakistani grocer will have certain spices for a fraction of what Penzey's charges e. g. cardamom, cumin, coriander, cloves, cayenne, star anise, etc.
    And the East Asian will have everything else. Including really cheap herbs and leaves.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Penzy's. My wife has serious allergies and they dont put filler in them. Just pure spice. Yum.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • Carolina Q
    RRP said:
     I learned long ago that buying and mixing my own rubs was a waste and a folly after I found Dizzy Pig.
    Funny, I STARTED mixing my own rubs after I found DP. Nothing wrong with their stuff, I just prefer to mix my own. Less expensive too.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ktim
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate the responses. I just love this place.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463

One of my favorites for pre-mixed rubs is Oakridge BBQ. They have a great deal on a sample pack - $4.95, which includes shipping - which is a great way to try them out.

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Ktim
    Thanks bodski, It looks like a good site.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/informative-links.html

check the bottom of the page on the link above.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Ktim
    Thanks, @ofcman29,looks good.
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    Penzy's is good, but if I had a good Indian Grocery Store nearby  there is no way that I would buy  from them. Expensive compared to the cost and quantity available in an Indian or Asian Grocery.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Penzey's has some great premixed, like DP - used for different things. English Prime Rib, Arizona Dreaming, Mural of Flavor. Other good buys include rubbed sage and savory. 

Oregano (Turkish and Mexican) from Penzey's is much better than my local Asian market where it is simply listed as oregano - no idea where it came from. Asian market is usually very good, just not for everything. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!