Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texture of Tri-Tip? Wife says too chewy

Options
BigWader
BigWader Posts: 673
edited June 2014 in Beef

Tried a tri-tip last night for the first time.  Cooked at 300-350 until internal was about 110 in the densest part, but nearing 125 in the thickest.  I pulled and held it while the temp came up to 450 and heated my griddle.  Put the tri-tip back on the griddle to sear both sides and brought in.

I cut it in half then cut slices across the grain and served.  The interior was a beautiful red-pink colour so I think I got the timing right.   I liked it - but did note that it has more chew than a strip or rib steak.  Wife didn't like it at all and said I shouldn't cook that again.

Did I mess it up or is Tri-Tip a denser more chewy meat?  Should I try sous vide?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    Sounds like you did everything according to plan, especially slicing against the grain and all.  The slices should not be very thick however.  I wouldn't blame tri tip in general though.  I have bought a few tough ones over the years.  If you can find them, the best ones are the black angus tri tips.  I have always found those to be very flavorful and tender.  Sam's club out here on the west coast carries them.  Give one of those a try if you can find one.

Living Large and XL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the grain is very strange on tritip, it actually wraps around the thicker side by 90 degrees from where it was extending down the tip so as you slice it thin you have to start rotating it as you go
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @BigWader Tri tips are not a tender cut of meat. They do have good flavor but they are not any where as tender as a rib roast. I suggest cooking it a little lower and slower and forget the searing. I agree with @lilwooty‌ about slicing it thinner.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@lilwooty @td66snrf maybe slice thickness was the culprit.  I sliced about 1/2 inch thick (maybe as low as 3/8) but definitely thicker than say a Sharpie marker.

I liked the meaty flavor.  I rubbed with Bovine Bold and before the sear dried the surface again.  On my slices I sprinkled a little more rub and the sweetness + heat was really good. 

I sopped up my daughters leftovers which she had dragged through ranch dressing.  I'm going to eat the leftovers on a salad with blue cheese dressing and a little more BBQ rub.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    IMO, 110 is too rare. I pull @ 135 then do a reverse sear for about 45 seconds per side. Let it rest for about 15 minutes. By then the IT is @ about 150 ... and again IMO, a perfect tri-tip Santa Maria Style of course done the Santa Maria way. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

SoCalTim said:
    IMO, 110 is too rare. I pull @ 135 then do a reverse sear for about 45 seconds per side. Let it rest for about 15 minutes. By then the IT is @ about 150 ... and again IMO, a perfect tri-tip Santa Maria Style of course done the Santa Maria way. 
    It's a steak, I think you should cook it however you like your steak cooked.  I've not heard it gets more tender as you cook it to medium.  Maybe more firm and that helps chewing?
    Options
    I did two tri-tips sous vide at 131 for 6 hours and seared on the grill. They were outstanding and very tender.

Duncan, SC
  • morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    Options
    A tri-tip is a roast.  A tri-tip is not a steak unless it is noted as a tri-tip steak.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A tri-tip is a roast.  A tri-tip is not a steak unless it is noted as a tri-tip steak.
    You can cook it either way.  The label doesn't force you to cook it one way or the other, that's your free will.
    Options
    You can cook it either way.  The label doesn't force you to cook it one way or the other, that's your free will.
    Or are you pre-destined to cook per the labeling? ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited June 2014
    Options
    That piece is the very reason I bought my 48 blade Jaccard! Work the meat over with it and it will be nice and tender!

Here's a link - not pricey at all - and you can tenderize all sorts of lesser cuts of meat! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Tri-tips are kind of tricky that way.  They aren't always super tender, but they are very flavorful.  A lot of it has to do with the particular cut you got.  Angus is always a good move; they tend to be a littler more tender.  Slice thin and against the grain as best you can.  That should help.  But no matter what you do a tri-tip will never have the texture of a filet.  
    Southern California