Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finished rebuilding Egg Table after fire. Pics then and now

JRWhitee
JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
I finally finished the rebuild of my table after a cracked Egg almost ended in disaster. Last October while smoking some Boston Butts I noticed smoke coming from the bottom of my egg, when I looked under my Table was smoking. They replaced my base within a week and this weekend I was able to finish the table and get the Egg back in its home. When I bought the Egg and table in 2006 I never thought of putting something under the egg in addition to the feet but now sits a thick piece of granite. 

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments

• Lots of table casualties lately. It is certainly making me consider making a change to my setup.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Nice looking table. I did a thorough inspection of my egg and table this weekend. Other than finding a crack in my firebox everything looked in good shape. I did see what may be the beginnings of a crack in the paver stone on which the egg sits so I will have to keep an eye on that.

Glad your's did not lead to a more serious situation.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I plan on paying close attention to the table from now on.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    edited June 2014

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm

I would seriously take a look at this article

• JRWhitee
    Thanks @serial griller, I should go find some firebricks. I did check at my Lowes and Home depot and they did not have any. I will check a fireplace store.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    Thank you TOTN. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    JR, good looking table. I bought my fire bricks at Boral bricks in Smyrna. Not that close to you I know. I think they were $2-3 apiece.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    JRWhitee said:
    Thanks @serial griller, I should go find some firebricks. I did check at my Lowes and Home depot and they did not have any. I will check a fireplace store.

Lowe's usually carries these as a seasonal item.  You won't find them in the store now, but come winter they will start stocking them again.

Living Large and XL

• JRWhitee
    Thanks @tulocay, road trip...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Very nice work. As I've posted elsewhere, my table has been repurposed as a potting bench.
    Kemah, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Solid. Nice job. Don't let all the house fire fear mongers get to ya. Just make sure your homeowners is paid up, be prudent and enjoy.
    edited June 2014
    Thanks Nola I am with you now go catch a Raccoon.  :ar!

Thanks @jllbms

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited June 2014
    Wow! I have a crack in the bottom of my base that just happened last week ! I have sent BGE some pics of mine and trying to get the warranty going and have been still cooking with mine. I agree with @nolaegghead‌ I am going to have my set up on a wood table.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • JRWhitee
    @kosko no over nights.....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Thanks for the info bro! I would've never thought about it and after seeing your table I am a believer!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • JRWhitee
    That was me too, never thought about it. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Feel that granite when you're cooking to see if it's heating up.  I've found the concrete pavers you find at HD or Lowe's work great which is what I use, but not sure about the granite. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nests for me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I just put mine back in the nest. Also put the new base on I had sitting in the garage. I think I'm going to put a tile or concrete top on instead since that part was really hot to the touch on a semi turbo butt cook. My house already burned down once...
    Dunedin, FL
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    For firebricks, go to a full line masonry supply lot that sells concrete blocks etc.  Our local lot is King's Material but I would suspect most larger cities have a similar business.  Much cheaper than big box stores and many will cut them for you for a small fee or free.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jshillin
    jshillin Posts: 42
    Good job on the rebuild, looks good!!!
  • JRWhitee
    edited June 2014
    Thanks all, I still need to put on the utensil hooks and bottle opener.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466

I did a test last night.  My set up: Lg BGE in Pressure treated Pine. egg on table nest, table nest on 3" paving stone. Ran the egg at max temp 850+ degrees for 4 hours. Then I took my handy dandy laser thermometer and measured how hot the paving stone was under the egg.  It was a cool 95 degrees.  I don't think there is any need to fret as long as you have proper spacing and a paving stone under the egg.

The article posted on Naked Whiz site is interesting and having the firestones "integrated" in the table is a nice touch. But a simple nest and paving stone is all that is required

Keep in mind...fires don't happen when everything is working as designed.  They happen when things go wrong...like an egg cracks, or a tile cracks, or an ember that wasn't supposed to get out...get's out.

I think those wood tables look beautiful and I know 90% of them probably don't even see darkened wood under the egg after years of use, but it just doesn't make sense to put something that holds fire, and has been shown to crack, inside a wood case.  Those tile/stone/stainless tables would be the way I'd go.

Right now mine is in a nest on my wooden deck...and I'm nervous about that!  I'm just torn as I know the further I move it from the kitchen the less I'll fire it up for quick weekday cooks (which frankly have been the unexpected fun ones as a new egg owner). 

I appreciate the discussion here, though, and that's the nice thing about this forum.  Lots of sound reasoning and good feedback on all issues.  So sorry your thread is getting derailed a bit JRWitee, but it's an interesting topic either way.  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • JRWhitee
    edited June 2014
    No problem at all, that is what the forum is all about different thoughts and ideas just like the wiener licking ketchup thread...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Heat + fire + wooden table + wooden deck + attached house + one burned table already. And you still built another of wood? Without even a table nest or a fire mat? And parked it on your deck again? It's a beautiful table, but, well, you dodged a bullet once...

I hope it works out for you. If it were mine, I'd move it off that deck and away from the house. If the table burns again, all you lose is a table.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JRWhitee
    @carolina Q I usually drive over the speed limit too.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    I'm glad I have a slab patio off of the wood deck.  It gets a bit hot in the afternoon sun, but I have no fears of burning the house down. I really, really like the look of your table.  What did you use to finish it? and do you expect the finish to stand up to the elements?
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Have a cypress table that I got from the dealer who set up my table with the three green "feet" only under the egg. After a couple of yrs of eggin" I was gonna do a clean burn and one of our egger friends asked if I had a paver under my egg. The answer was no and he said check the wood under the egg. I did. and found a hole burned through the table about as big as a softball. Got a paver under the egg now and the ceramic feet but I'm ready to put the metal nest that goes under the egg and on the paver. Lucky to have the help of this forum.   :)>-

Opelika, Alabama
  • JRWhitee
    edited June 2014
    I think it will hold up, I used Sherwin Williams Deckscapes, the top is pressure treated deck boards, I ripped both sides to make them square. The side facia boards are Cedar. 

My deck is mostly shaded from trees and the house in the evening. I plan on getting a cover for it as my Green Egg cover is now too small. I added about 10" or so to the length of the table.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    @JRWhitee - there is a fire place store on Peachtree Industrial just north of the 141 split.  I'd check there.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA