Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - can i weld stainless with a mig welder?

Options
busmania
busmania Posts: 414
The house fire thread got me to thinking its time to ditch the old wood table.  Frankly, im shocked BGE even sells them.  Im sure that being a grill company comes with a HUGE liability. Anyway, I digress.  Looking at some tables on craigslist, none seem to be exactly what I would want.  I have a mig welder.  Can I weld stainless with a mig welder?  If so, ill just buy one and customize it. 

Comments

• busmania
    Options
    O, and does any one have pictures of any custom egg stainless tables?
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    You will need stainless wire for the mig but it can be done
  • busmania
    Options
    Is it more difficult than welding regular steal?  I assume a TIG weld is best but I don't have a tig welder.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Mig welding stainless is just as easy as mild steel.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @busmania‌ It's definitely an art form to be able to stitch in a weld to where it is seamless looking.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can buy stainless wire and weld it as easily as steel.  Like steel, thin gauge needs to be stitched together or you'll get a lot of warping.  That's a lot of work, I'd consider buying something first.
    Options
    You can buy stainless wire and weld it as easily as steel.  Like steel, thin gauge needs to be stitched together or you'll get a lot of warping.  That's a lot of work, I'd consider buying something first.

ive mig welded vehicle body panels by stitch welding to avoid warpage.  id love to buy something but I like to build things and I have been looking for excuses to break out the welder.  Its been a while.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    mig can weld stainless.  you need 308 wire and 75/25 or tri mix gas. 309 wire if welding stainless to carbon steel.  Your weld shop will know what you need.  You'll need to make sure the welder has the capacity to weld the metal thickness.  Most mig welders have a chart to use as a starting point to set wire speed, wire thickness and amps to the metal thickness and type.

I've looked at building metal tables, just to big a project for us right now.  Will say, if you plan to make the table out of stainless, you better be sitting down when you call for material prices.    Another option is to build it with carbon steel then get it powder coated.  Most towns now days have a powder coat company.    

One last thing, because most stainless has a higher tensile strength than carbon steel, it's harder on tools, blades and such......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Metalmaker
    Metalmaker Posts: 16
    Options
    I made mine by welding a steel tube frame then painted it. then I made a stainless steel piece for the table nest to sit on and I made a stainless steel top. All stainless would have been cost prohibitive even though I have my own shop
    Cookin' outside in central Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Metalmaker - that's smart.  Nice table.  My buddy has a metal shop and he buys lots of rust colored paint - if it goes outside, that's the color he uses.
    I thought long and hard and went with a steel build.  Dad had a welder so we ran to the steel supplier and loaded up on material.  It's sturdy as all get out.  I'm just waiting to bring the top to my work where I can water jet a hole in it for the egg.
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Options
    @Metalmaker - that's smart.  Nice table.  My buddy has a metal shop and he buys lots of rust colored paint - if it goes outside, that's the color he uses.
    I've always been a fan of dirt colored carpet. I've also found it's best to drive a pavement colored car to (help) avoid speeding tickets. Coffee colored shirts are good too.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Don't forget the brown underwear.
    Options
    One thing you might try is checking with some scrap metal dealers. Some of them not only buy scrap, but sell it to individuals as well. It doesn't matter what the object IS, only what it's MADE OF and how much it weighs. If someone decided to scrap a SS table or cabinet, it might have a few dings - you might even have to replace a bent or dented part, but it would cost you pennies on the dollar. 

If I were looking, I would call around and see if they sell metal and how much per pound. If that's acceptable, you'll probably have to go there to see what you can find. Might be a wasted trip (or 2 or 3), but you might get a great deal! I used to have one right here in town that often had stuff I could use. Unfortunately, the guy retired and sold the biz to someone who won't sell stuff. Oh well.

Worth a couple of phone calls, no?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• busmania
    Options
    I was just going to alter a already made restaurant style table (they are cheep on craigslist).  But, maybe I will just make a steal one and powdercoat it.  I have a guy who powdercoats car parts for me. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Either of those options sound good.  Powder coating is an excellent finish, you just have to watch the ends, you get a little rust and it can grow.  I have a powder coating gun and a big oven.  The pros have walk-in ovens.
    Options
    @Metalmaker‌ what did you use around the hole penetration (the black stuff)? I sealed mine with clear silicone high temp Rutland caulking and I like it. That's s clean design. Very nice work.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Just my .02 but, it would make financial sense to find an existing restaurant prep table and then do your mods. Just remember it should be a minimum of 30"W & the length is up to you on how much prep area you want and height I wouldn't go much more than 30"-36" w/ casters (total height).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    @Metalmaker‌ Great looking rig!
    Kemah, TX
  • Metalmaker
    Metalmaker Posts: 16
    Options
    NPHuskerFL  I sometimes order supplies from McMaster Carr and they had this high temp trim. Best hardware store ever.
    Cookin' outside in central Minnesota