Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook Tonight - Rookie question

Options
Large Big Green Egg delivered at 1:30pm, fired up by 4. I read I was supposed to keep the temperature relatively low for the first couple of cooks, so decided to try out a couple of grilled chicken breasts for dinner. I am happy to say I managed not to burn anything and they turned out delicious. I cooked direct at around 350* for about 20 minutes. The wife and kids were rushing me so I didn't take any pictures.

I closed everything up and started the cool down. How low should the temperature get before I can safely put on the BGE cover?

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    The outside of the Egg shouldn't be that hot cooking at 350 for a short time. I don't use covers but my guess would be immediately.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @jeffgrice‌
    Welcome aboard and congratulations my friend. Glad to have you among us. I would wait until is was cool but if you are pressed for time you will be perfectly safe once it hits 125 degrees. Again welcome. That's shell temp not gauge temp.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 30yearegger
    Options
    Welcome to the sickness that is being a egghead.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @‌jeffgrice
    If you can hold your hand against the shell and can count to 7 at a normal pace without having to remove your hand you are good to go. Hope this helps my friend. Be honest in your count or you could get a unwanted surprise.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Don't chance putting it on to quick, let it cool completely, I have had my XL for going on 2 years and I still don't have a cover and it still looks great.
    Chuck King
    Dimondale, Michigan
    www.chuckkingcomedy.com
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I would wait until it is cool to the touch. I often cover mine hours falter the cook or the next morning. Why risk doing it too soon?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Why rush, too much too loose. I cover mine the next morning when the coals are dead out. 
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Welcome Jeff! Get ready for your wife to really fall in love with ya!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I always wait until the next morning. Welcome.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Welcome aboard Jeff!!  It doesn't hurt the egg to be uncovered.  I wouldn't rush putting the cover on.  I let mine cool completely - usually overnight.  It doesn't hurt them at all.  Putting it on too soon could be catastrophic.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Agree with all the other folks.  Put the cover on the next day.  If you cook frequently, you just won't be using the cover.  Doesn't make the food taste better and ceramic ain't gonna weather.

That "keep it under 350F" to set the gasket is an instructional vestige from the days of felt gaskets - days not that far back. 

You're good to go with pizza.
    Options
    Welcome. Leave it uncovered to show it's beauty. Plus, look at it like making a bed. Why cover it if your just gonna uncover it when you use it tomorrow. Just a hint: if you like chicken, don't wait too long to try spatchcock. It's easy and will probably be the best chicken you'll make on the egg.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    How long I wait to put it on is directly proportional to the number of beverages consumed before, during, and after the cook. The higher that number the more likely I am to forget to put it back on until the next morning when I let the dog out.
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN