Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Skillet Burgers - Direct or Indirect?

kbutler84
kbutler84 Posts: 140
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Should I use my platesetter and go indirect for cast iron skillet burgers, or go direct? What temp is optimal? 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    direct.  Heat up the skillet before you toss on the burgers.  If you want a good sear, I'd shoot for 400-500 range.  That skillet could get hotter than the dome thermometer says, so just keep an eye on them.
    Man, you guys are good!! Hope y'all have a great weekend!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Most definitely direct.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    +1 on Nola's recommended setup and temp. Be prepared for a sear crust on that burger that will be eye candy and flavor that will Wow even the worst critic. Enjoy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Damn good burgers. Thanks all
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited June 2014
    While I was too late to help this time, I will pass along what my experience has been. When I am using a cast iron skillet or the Dutch oven, I always go direct. I tried doing several cooks like this indirect and the extra stability you get having the Platesetter in is a doubled edged sword. You do get more even temps and more even heat across the grill grate. But should you need to adjust temps up or down it takes longer for the temps to react due to the mass of the Platesetter. Plus it is easy to overdo the adjustment because of the slow reaction time.

The other thing I do is check the pan or Dutch oven temperature by shooting it with an infra-red thermometer. This way is more accurate than guessing at the grate temp, since I am taking the actual temperature of the pan I am using.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @jfm0830, I've been thinking about getting an IR thermo. Which one do you recommend?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2014
    First off I will tell you what not to get. My first infra red thermo was a Bonjour Laser Probe Dual Thermometer. I actually bought it because the other part of it was an instant read thermo hat was almost as fast as a Thermapen. This thing had a warrantee that it would work when you opened the box. After that you were on your own. I was aware from comments on Amazon that many people had issue with it failing. But I took a chance because I play nicely with my toys. I paid $90 for it. I didn't buy it for the infra-red portion but I found I was using that capability far more than the instant read. Cutting to the chase the laser targeting beam soon failed. Now that I own a Thermapen I also found out "almost as good" as a Thermapen leaves a lot to be desired. So I have nothing good to say about this unit.

I bought another expensive unit from Sur La Table that didn't go high enough for my needs. The last one I bought was half the price, but I had decided I'd had enough of the fancy ones. If this one failed I was not out a lot of money. It is called a "Laser-Sighted Grill and Oven Thermometer". It is sold in various colors by various venders. I got mine in grey at a grill store for $39,95, Steven Raichen sells a version of it in grey too for $39,95. The BGE store has a green version of it:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/tools-thermometers-and-cleaners/infratherm/

I would not pay a penny more than $39.95 for it, because other than being green and BGE branded it is identical. I have had this last one for 3 years now and it has served me well. One nice thing about an infra red thermo like this is if you are using a CI skillet, Dutch oven or half moon grill griddle you can shoot the beam down the chimney of the Egg and take a reading without opening the lid.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited June 2014
    @jfm0830 whats your target cast iron temp for sear? I got an IR therm but havent really used it bc I don't have any reference points.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2014
    Thanks @jfm0830. Do you find the 800*F max limiting? I assume not as you probably don't intend to cook at or above that range.

What happens if you direct at a heat source that is hotter?

@kbutler84, sorry to hijack your thread.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2014
    @ NDG I find the good cook book tells you their definition for Low, Medium, and High and their recipe times are based on using that temp. So this is where I start. It seems like most of the cookbooks I have use 400 - 500 degrees as Medium High, with High being 500 - 550. If I am not told I usually use 450 - 500 degrees as my starting point. I've made some 1/4 burgers at 550 degrees and they took only 2 minutes per side and some 1/3 pound burgers at 450 that took 3:30 per side. Both gave me good sears. When I do paninis using my two half moon cast iron griddle grids I use 375. For wok cooks 600 degrees.

@TexanOfTheNorth‌ 800 degrees is about 100 degrees hotter than I ever cook.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I have a thermo works infrared and its great. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @TexanOfTheNorth, Princess Auto has a $29 unit that works for the light duty we need for egging. It also takes AAA batteries. High temp limit is 550ºC. Emissivity is set to .95 which is OK for CI and most seasoned pizza stone temps. 

Have never tried cooking burgers in a pan on the egg, I do reverse sear with the sear done in a CI skillet on the gasser side burner. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!