Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 lb Butt is going to be done 8-9 hours early

Options
erapp100
erapp100 Posts: 12
Was hoping for a 20-22 hr cook. At hour 4 temp had creeped up to 300 (calibrated egg therm). trying to bring it back down to 225. I know the grill temp is lower however the Butt is pretty high. Cooling down to 225 is going to take a while. Now I anticipate its going to be done 8-9 hours before serving. Too long for an FTC? Should I take it out until I can bring temp back down? FTC for 9 hours and reheat before pulling?
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I really don't think 300 is terribly out of line and doubt it was there long.  I imagine if you foil it, wrap it in a towel and put it in an insulated cooler it will stay warm for several hours.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

You will get the dome temp down and when restabilized at your desired cook temp check out the butt internal temperature.  In addition to that bit of info, you will likely see quite a stall around 160*F (internal) and may get another one in the high 180's or so.  I wouldn't worry about hold duration till the butt is finished.  Then depending on consume time, you can sort out the game plan.  FWIW-

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.