Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I cut in half a 20lb Pork Shoulder

Options
Just picked up my Pork Shoulder to do up on the weekend. Its a deboned shoulder @ 20lbs. I'm thinking I should cut it in half before cooking. 2 x 10lb. Plan on putting it in @ 8:00pm ~230deg. Want it to be done no later than 4:00pm next day. Any comments or suggestions? I also have a 8.5lb Brisket(all I could find) that appears to be flat only. I have not cut package open yet. Plan on putting that on ~midnight. I just want to ensure everything is done and I will hold it in a cooler till serving. 

Thanks
Russell

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Have you opened the shoulder? Unless its a whole shoulder (picnic and butt) there are probably 2 in the ppackage, around 10lbs each. I've never seen a deboned whole shoulder.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I would give myself more time. A 10 lb butt may take 22 hours. It's happened. You can ftc for at least 5 hours. The brisket will be done well before 4 o'clock.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sailor71
    Sailor71 Posts: 35
    Options
    DMW said:
    Have you opened the shoulder? Unless its a whole shoulder (picnic and butt) there are probably 2 in the ppackage, around 10lbs each. I've never seen a deboned whole shoulder.
    Sorry just opened it and it is not deboned. Just one solid chunk. Here is a photo. Any help on timing would be appreciated.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would cut it in half for sure. And cook at 250°. Figure on 2 hrs per lb (20 hrs). 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Sailor71‌
    I'm with @DMW. I have never seen a deboned whole shoulder. Not saying that they don't exist or that it's impossible to debone one but I have personally never saw one. Once you know for certain what you have let us know and someone will be able to point you in the right direction. If it is a whole deboned shoulder it will cook the same as a bone in and there are numerous people here who can help with shoulder advice.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Cut it in half.  More surface area=more bark! 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Sailor71‌
    I usually avoid giving times but I will offer what I have personally done and you can go from there. First let me say when cooking meats that size I do not use the egg. I use a massive vertical water smoker so your results may vary. I have seen 20 pound whole partial trimmed shoulders cook in excess of 36 hours when cooked between 200-225 degreed over water. With out water the time will be reduced a little. If timing is a issue I would recommend trying to stay in the 250-275 arena. You are still looking at a considerable cooking time of 1 1/2 per pound give or take a little. If you know how to properly separate a shoulder you may want to consider doing so and cook it parted out. This will reduce cooking time dramatically. I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sailor71
    Options
    Thanks. Looks like I'm going to try my hand at cutting it in half
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I think if you google the original post from Chris Lilly for his championship pork butt injection and rub he gives directions for a 16lb whole butt...........I think he give a time line but its been a long time since I read it.

Dearborn MI
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It's not going to take any longer to cook than a butt. Once the length is greater than the diameter the time per pound goes away.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sailor71
    Options

It's not going to take any longer to cook than a butt. Once the length is greater than the diameter the time per pound goes away.

Thanks I try it whole another time. I've cut it in half and trimmed it. Now I have a 8lb and just under 9lb chunk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dang! That's a whole lot of pork lovin'!image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You will get 20% more bark with it cut in half.
    Options
    Not if you don't skin the picnic beotch

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Not if you don't skin the picnic beotch
    Think about it, in that case, the increase in bark is well over 20%.
    Options
    It's Friday after a **** week. My arithmetic may be non-functional.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Drink more and care less, my Canadian friend.  Twas a long week for me too.
    Options
    I'll debate tomorrow. I'll google some ****.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If you cut in half the bark will be as big as the bite. :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sailor71
    Options
    23:30 meats on @ 230 grate
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Cut in in half and give me one
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sailor71
    Options
    Well it's noon and I'm in the stall @162. Dome temp is 250. Hope the magic happens in the next 4hrs
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Whys your butt green?

XLBGE 
  • Sailor71
    Options
    Night time and flash on camera made the rub look green
  • Sailor71
    Options