Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flies are out of control

Does anyone have this problem and or a solution to keeping the flies away or at least under control when cooking on the egg.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Rudy's in Austin hangs bags of water (with a single shiney penny in it) from the rafters, and says it keeps the flies away.  I think it's an urban legend and they use a powerful pesticide.  Maybe try both?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a powerful fan.
    We have an inordinate amount of mosquitoes by me and I use a lawn spray.  I use the kind that hooks up to your hose and just crank and spray.  Works really well for me and you can probably find it in your favorite hardware store.  Side note: most brands are kid and pet safe once they dry.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have never seen a fly while grilling. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Our house is stucco finish and the back faces southwest. Early in the year we are inundated with cluster flies. Guy sprays for them and we are good all summer. Cluster flies don't really land on stuff they just buzz around but they are very irritating.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    I have the same problem. No flies until I light up the egg and then they come out of nowhere.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Agree....no flies until smoke starts!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I have flies and mosquitoes. My lawn co. used something last year and it lasted for about 3-4 weeks. It wasn't applied for the mosquitoes but definitely repelled them. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Mosquitoes aren't a problem in AZ, but flies can be.  I go to pretty much any pest control section at WalMart, ACE, Home Depot, or Lowe's and they sell these bags that you cut a hole in, put a little water in them and they emit a stanky fish smell. Hang from a tree away from the egg.  Also get the rolls of fly paper strips and hang them nearby when you're cooking.  It'll take a little time but you'll have a fly-less environment in which to cook.  the fly paper strips usually last a couple of weeks and the hanging fly trap with the smelly attractant usually lasts about a month,
  • Not too bad here yet. Last night I got 1 male and 2 females.
  • I hate mosquitoes more. And junebugs too! I hate those things!
    Flint, Michigan
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    A few years ago I found a yard spray that was garlic based. The whole yard stink stank stunk of pure garlic for a few days, but I never saw a mosquito that entire hot and muggy Atlanta summer.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2014

Being a river rat, we have a huge gnat problem due to the amount of rainfall we've had this spring.  When on the roadie by the river, moving helps.  But camping, they(gnats) are on from early morning until night. 

During Memorial Day weekend, we sprayed our corner lot twice at the campground.  The Buffalo Gnats bite, it was miserable.   Then we were given a bottle of Bug Soother.  We all sprayed it on our necks, arms, legs.  Gnats disappeared.  This sh!t is magical. 

This all gnatural product from Columbus Junction, IA is a game changer.  Being a health nut/snob....ingredients are water, vanilla, castor oil, soya lecithin, lemon, vitamin E.  One could easily take some lemon juice, vanilla, oil and replicate.

Another trick horse owners around here use is a roll-on that is 4% menthol called Absorbine Jr.  Should be able to find it at the local pharmacy.  It too, is magical, and gives a pleasant warmth to the muscles.  A 2 in 1 product.

002.JPG 998.8K
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    For Mosquitos, burning piñon (or pinion) wood in a chiminea or fire pit really helps. The Off repellant with the candle and rectangle of treated cardboard above it in the holder also work well. We surrounded an outdoor wedding with them and had no bug issues.
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited June 2014

Maybe no one has mentioned this because everyone knows better

than me.

A coupla months ago, I read several items claiming high efficacy of certain herbs in repelling flies (and mosquitos).  I figured it couldn't hurt to try 'cause at least I'll have herbs when it's all over.

Soooo . . .

Two or so weeks ago, I potted several herbs and placed them on the deck - primarily around the food prep area and the grills.  The seating area only has two or three pots of basil near it.

We've grilled exactly five times since then and have noticed no problem with flies.  On Memorial Day most, if not all, guests ate on the deck.  I didn't poll anyone, but I didn't notice folks waving bugs away from their plates.

I'm not proclaiming myself Lord of the Flies or anything like that.  I'm just relating our experiences re herbs vs. flies . . . so far.

A source:

http://herbgardens.about.com/od/herbrecipes/f/What-Herbs-Repel-Biting-Flies.htm

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    The "harsh" winter didn't seem to phase the FL bugs. This year we have the added pleasure of swarming yellow flies (I call em horseflies). But, now that I think about it I haven't seen them around my egg or property for that matter. But, in swampy areas they'll carry your a$$ away. Dislike very much.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

Maybe no one has mentioned this because everyone knows better

than me.

A coupla months ago, I read several items claiming high efficacy of certain herbs in repelling flies (and mosquitos).  I figured it couldn't hurt to try 'cause at least I'll have herbs when it's all over.

Soooo . . .

Two or so weeks ago, I potted several herbs and placed them on the deck - primarily around the food prep area and the grills.  The seating area only has two or three pots of basil near it.

We've grilled exactly five times since then and have noticed no problem with flies.  On Memorial Day most, if not all, guests ate on the deck.  I didn't poll anyone, but I didn't notice folks waving bugs away from their plates.

I'm not proclaiming myself Lord of the Flies or anything like that.  I'm just relating our experiences re herbs vs. flies . . . so far.

A source:

http://herbgardens.about.com/od/herbrecipes/f/What-Herbs-Repel-Biting-Flies.htm

Something I may try
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Focker said:

Being a river rat, we have a huge gnat problem due to the amount of rainfall we've had this spring.  When on the roadie by the river, moving helps.  But camping, they(gnats) are on from early morning until night. 

During Memorial Day weekend, we sprayed our corner lot twice at the campground.  The Buffalo Gnats bite, it was miserable.   Then we were given a bottle of Bug Soother.  We all sprayed it on our necks, arms, legs.  Gnats disappeared.  This sh!t is magical. 

This all gnatural product from Columbus Junction, IA is a game changer.  Being a health nut/snob....ingredients are water, vanilla, castor oil, soya lecithin, lemon, vitamin E.  One could easily take some lemon juice, vanilla, oil and replicate.

Another trick horse owners around here use is a roll-on that is 4% menthol called Absorbine Jr.  Should be able to find it at the local pharmacy.  It too, is magical, and gives a pleasant warmth to the muscles.  A 2 in 1 product.

Your mention of tiny Columbus Junction brought back a flood of memories! In the 1940's my parents, grandparents and my aunt & uncle built a cottage on Cone Lake near Columbus Junction. I remember how CJ was the last town where supplies could be bought before heading to the cabin as we called it. Having no electricity at the cabin we would buy blocks of ice for the ice chest and as a royal treat we might get a 6 pack of Coca-Cola if we had been good! CJ still has a historic 200 foot swinging walk bridge over a deep ravine and my sister and I would pester our parents to let us walk on. It would swing like crazy and scare the crap out of most people. I Googled it and see while the original was built in the 1800's it has been replaced a few times since. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you don't know who this is you're too young...or we're too old.
    fly.jpg 15.6K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    This thing works wonders, just keep it  on the edge of your property because it does contain spoiled egg and can smell if the wind is just right.

felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    @Jaymet73‌ are they reg flies or sheep flies. I have sheep flies and they are some mean jokers right now. I have found a brimmed hat keeps they out of your face. But they will stil bite other areas. Good luck
  • Jaymet73
    Jaymet73 Posts: 24
    Thanks everyone for the advice I may try several of your ideas.