Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest or table?

My table is falling apart. I've found a new nest on craigslist and thinking about getting it for my large for a quick fix.

What do y'all think? I love my table for prep area but know many of y'all use nest and mates

XLBGE 

Comments

• Gotta say I love having a table.  It saves me a lot of time and provides an excellent workspace.  Mine is about 3'x6' and has a stainless steel top.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Nest for sure!
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Got both at times like table the best but nest don't take up near as much room.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have mates and a side table. Perfectly happy with that combo and have no interest in dropping an egg into a hole in a table. Need a nicer side table though. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've always like the portability of the nest so I can move the Egg depending on where the sun is shining down (especially as it goes down), which way the wind is blowing (so you don't end up sitting in a fog of smoke when doing low and slows) and I can move it under the patio when it rains. But I always wanted a prep area. I finally just built a seperate table for prep and left the Egg in the nest. Best of both worlds. And yes, I know you can move a table with an egg in it, but that's a lot heavier.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nest and handler, as close to calikings ATE you can get.
    Seattle, WA
  • Pgrnfarm
    Pgrnfarm Posts: 18

We made a table before we even used our egg for the first time.  Love it, and it can be move around, as we have wheels on it.  Each persons circumstances are different....there is no right or wrong answer!  Good luck!

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Table with wheels!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I started out with a nest and eggmates because I couldn't decide on a table setup. Now I have my table and love it for the storage, prep area, durability, stability and I know it'll be around even with FL weather because it's SS. But, I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. It is for sure a personal preference thing.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jaime_Doug
    Jaime_Doug Posts: 57
    Great looking backyard RAC...
    Doug/Jaime in Tucker, GA   Could almost walk to BGE Mothership  LBGE
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    I agree with @RAC. I had a table that caught fire. Now I'm using a nest plus a SS side table, just like his rig (minus one Egg!).
    Kemah, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mine is in a table. Mobile around the house. If I did it over I think I'd either have a side table or design a table that I could roll the nest into a cut out. Lots of times I wish I could either take it with me or down the street to a party. Hopefully @Caliking will post a pic of his setup.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    jllbms said:

I agree with @RAC. I had a table that caught fire. Now I'm using a nest plus a SS side table, just like his rig (minus one Egg!).

I triple dog dare ya to try to burn this one
    >:) But, in all seriousness as many wooden tables as there are out there only a small % that end badly. That being said precautions shouldbe taken for obvious safety concerns.
    A Christmas Story - Tongue Stuck to Pole: http://youtu.be/_RgCbcT8eEUimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I made the guy an offer for the nest. I'm thinking I can fix up my table into just a nice table. The small will go into the egg carten and just be around for travel. Just bought an SUV so egg travel is going to be so much easier!

XLBGE 
  • NPHuskerFL
    That scene cracks me up every single time I see it! Back in the early 80s my dumb ass and my buddy did this on a flag pole at my home in North Platte NE. Thankfully slobber is a plus to release your tongue. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Nest and side table for prep works for me.
  • I have a compact Sol'e table which, from my experience, seems to be the best of both worlds. Very sturdy table. Just enough room to work, with a small footprint. Great  200 lb high quality casters. Can move it easily anywhere on the deck. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Tjcoley said:

Nest and side table for prep works for me.

I love that prep table! Uniqueness is a wonderful quality. And to repurpose like this is very cool!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jllbms
    @NPHuskerFL‌ Don't be making me covet your table! The sin is on you! O:-)
    Kemah, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    @jllbms‌ this one fell into my lap. Luck as it be ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jllbms
    You are far too modest. I read the thread where you put it together! You merely inherited the raw material.
    Kemah, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    @jllbms‌ thanks :\">
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I own and much prefer a table myself.  If you go that route and want portability, just add casters. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    My ATE setup can be seen in my profile pic. I like the one for the small better, since it was based off the nest, and easier to build. I have a table next to the eggs for storage and prep. Sam's has steel tables for reasonable prices.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    You could always buy the nest and use it while you fix up your table or get a new one.  I imagine that you could sell the nest in a year for about whatever you pay for it now.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    I know tables are nice and I've seen some really great setups.
    But, I have two BGE's both in nests.  It makes it very easy to move them around. Sometime I roll them from under the patio to an open area or to different locations in my yard depending on weather conditions. If I had them in a table it would be too staionary for my needs.
    I love the nest!
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• NPHuskerFL
    caliking said:

My ATE setup can be seen in my profile pic. I like the one for the small better, since it was based off the nest, and easier to build. I have a table next to the eggs for storage and prep. Sam's has steel tables for reasonable prices.

Described in one simple word. Portable. Very nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Yep. I like that I can wheel the eggs around the patio or pool. The patio and pool deck are flagstones, so the stock wheels on the nest would have inevitably resulted in scrambled eggs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.