Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torrential rain and temporary temp drop

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Just had a little storm pass through with a torrential downpour of rain(nothing like what you in the South get) and hail. Egg was cooking along at 330 degrees when it suddenly dropped to 200. Daisy closed with petals wide open. After about ten minutes returned to 330 with no intervention. First thought was water got in and extinguished the fire. But then I thought of you guys that egg in the South, where you get the serious storms and never heard anybody having fires go out because of the rain. It was raining too hard for me to go out and investigate. Anybody ever experience this? What causes it? After the storm lightened up I went and checked on it and nothing seemed abnormal.
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Never had it drop that much but I have seen a 50* drop when a storm came in and lasted more than 1hr

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    I wonder if cold water was running down the thermometer shaft caused it to appear like the internal temperature had dropped.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• stemc33
    Options
    chashans said:
    I wonder if cold water was running down the thermometer shaft caused it to appear like the internal temperature had dropped.

That did cross my mind, but I figured I would ask everyone on the forum. It was weird, like I said when I did check on it, everything seemed normal. Probably wouldn't even have noticed except I stepped out on the porch to watch the storm.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    where in WY?  I am in Scottsbluff NE/

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    chashans said:
    I would say this was the case. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I've seen drop by 50degrees in a super crazy rain. Saw it today while waiting for the storm to pass. Watching on my PC the Stoker log you could see the sudden drop (enough to set off my alarm I had programmed so it dropped around 30+degrees) as the storm hit hard but, the Stoker overcame this very quick with no issue. Without the Stoker I would occasionally see drops in temp during bad storms but, it would come back with no issue normally especially with the SS Smokeware. But, steady rain doesn't much effect the temp for whatever reason.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

One of my favorite Uncles (passed a few yrs ago) lived in Mitchell, NE pretty close to the Monument.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    Options

Sheridan area. Banner if your familiar with the area. It's about halfway between Sheridan and Buffalo.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm from Chadron erniemcclain!! More of us from this area on here than I thought.