Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder with Fennel

500 Posts: 3,177
I started this thread; http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1513919#Comment_1513919
Here is the cook so far. Test fit in a #10 Dutch Oven. The cook is Sunday.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks good so far. I think I'd remove the wrapper at some point though. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'll be watching this. I love fennel. And I love pork :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Yesterday's pic looked much tastier!  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Careful cooking in the bag. Sometimes leaves meat a little gummy.....
    Egg fired at 6am EST. Thank you Keurig for fast coffee.
    Member since 2009
    8am. 8# Shoulder on at 300*, no smoke wood. I hope it's done by 5pm.
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Can't wait to see the results. I've been looking for other ways to do pork too

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Don_Piero
    Don_Piero Posts: 97
    Pork shoulder and fennel!

You are getting very close to one of my favourite Italian dishes - Porchetta (Italian name), or as some call it Porketta. Its a butterflied shoulder with skin on that is seasoned with spices including fennel and wild fennel, and then wrapped and tied with the pork skin on the outside and roasted, resulting in crispy crackling exterior and tender interior. 

Some will wrap a pork centre-loin with the skin on belly with similar results - most recipes are done this way.

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
    Peaked in through the top. Smelling good. 160 IT so far.
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Lookin' good. Bookmarked your fennel thread for future reference. How many bulbs did you end up using?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    5 bulbs of fennel, 2 cups Sav. Blanc, the Egg smelled of garlic fennel porky goodness. I used a gravy separator to get the fat off the drippings. Bottom line it was really tasty. A good change from BBQ pulled pork. I pulled it at 3:30pm after 11.5 hours at 300* ish.
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    edited June 2014
    11 1/2 hrs, WTF!! Far cry from the NITRO butt we were discussing 2 yrs ago :)) That looks oh so tasty!! What was the dominate flavor??

analyze adapt overcome

It had a rich "date night" taste to it. The fennel and garlic and wine was there. The sauce added some moisture and additional richness to it. Added Crash Potatoes of small multiple color taters and a artichoke tomato feta salad with a homemade shallot mustard vinegrette. Invited a neighbor couple over. They brought the wine. Nice dinner. Will do it again.
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Sounds really good. May have to try this one out. Anything that will enhance "Date Night"!!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I knew I was going to try this as soon as I saw your first post. :D  

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Bookmarked!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
    Treated it just like a Butt. FTC at 195*. Never cooked a picnic shoulder before. Mrs. 500 suggested that I do not show the girls what a pig's arm socket looks like. It pulled out clean.
    Member since 2009