Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever done a pork butt like this?

Options
500 Posts: 3,177

Found this recipe, and wondered how it would adapt to the Egg, as a change of pace from BBQ style;
http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/recipe-search/chefs-recipes/2014/5/slow-roasted-pork-shoulder-with-fennel/
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks interesting, wonder where to get fennel bulbs...

Also, you would want to use picnic shoulder, not butt. At least that's what they used, and includes the skin.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Look like a picnic with the skin on. Should make for a great meal. Just score the skin and do not go to deep.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
    Options
    I find fennel at Kroger.  I'm thinking I'd just throw everything in a roasting pan smoke it with some apple, like a butt but in a pan.  The wine and everything will reduce for a sauce it looks like.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks and sounds damn good to me.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Options
    I've been texting with Mrs. 500, who is at Sam's right now.  I sterered her away from the butts, and she got a 8# picinic.  This is happening Sunday, as long as I can find enough fennel.
    Member since 2009
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wow! That's a LOT of fennel!!! 10 bulbs!! And a 12 lb shoulder. Gonna need a BIG pot... like a Mad Max turkey. :) And roasting at 212°F for only 8 hrs. Slice to serve, I presume.

An interesting cook. Bet it would taste great! Different, but great!! Might have to try this one... haven't had a fennel cook yet that I didn't like!

DMW, I see fennel all the time in stores around here. Might have to visit several stores to find that much of it though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

Options
    I got an 8# picnic, so I'll scale this back. 
    Member since 2009
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DMW‌ Dagumnit! I thought I was good on just a BB. I could simply Google but, what is the difference between a BB bone in VS Picnic? Haven't done one of these either.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @DMW‌ Edit: Ok I see the difference now. What's the general consensus BB vs Picnic on flavor etc considering I've never L&S smoked a Picnic "yet" have just done one BB (Which I really liked).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Options
    My first picnic as well.  I've done a number of butts with success.  I'm approaching it the same way.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @DMW‌ Edit: Ok I see the difference now. What's the general consensus BB vs Picnic on flavor etc considering I've never L&S smoked a Picnic "yet" have just done one BB (Which I really liked).
    As I'm sure google told you :)...the picnic and butt are just two parts of a whole shoulder.  The butt is the upper part of the shoulder, and the picnic goes down the front leg.  For some reason the picnic usually has skin on the "leg" side.  

I have done picnic a couple of times and it is good.  Generally a little less fat I suppose so perhaps not quite as moist, but it has a sweeter flavor sort of like ham.  

Once I got a butt and a picnic and cooked both and that was really good.  I mixed the meat and made pulled pork. It gives it different flavors and textures- sort of "whole-hog-esque".  One of these days I want to get my hands on a whole shoulder just so I can smoke a 22ish lb chunk of swine. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I don't really notice much difference in flavor. Last pulled pork I did was a picnic because it was half the price of a butt!!

Have never cooked either for anything other than pulled pork. At the time and temp for this cook, I wouldn't think it's going to be pullable. But mighty tasty, I'll bet!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    With the Picnic not having the marblized fat that the BB has do y'all find it necessary to inject or to add moisture to the Picnic to assist in moisture retention during a long L&S?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds great. I'd go light on the smoke for this one, though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @DMW I regular see fennel bulbs at Wegmans
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Sounds great. I'd go light on the smoke for this one, though.
    Good advice.  I was thinking apple, but maybe nothing but the natural lump.
    Member since 2009
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ my road name is Fennel named for its wild fennel. It grows like wild fire and is hard to tame even with a steel blade weed eater. Do you only use the bulb of the plant or do you use the stalk and bushy leaves also? I've never tried it and it's all around our property. Just the same we have wild blackberries (wild life loves them and with the briar thorns it makes getting them challenging ;-) ).
    Edit: I understand this recipe calls for fennel seeds and 10 bulbs halved. Just curious if the stalk and bushy leaves would be of any use?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The bulbs, leaves, flowers and seeds are all commonly used.  I would discard the stalks, but if they're not woody, they also can be eaten.  Fennel is awesome.
    Options

The bulbs, leaves, flowers and seeds are all commonly used.  I would discard the stalks, but if they're not woody, they also can be eaten.  Fennel is awesome.

They get crazy out of hand growing as tall as 8'-10' in the summer months. Looks like I might want to dig some up to try them.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    According to this, wild fennel doesn't have bulbs. Dunno.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    Last Thursday I egged a shoulder which I have done before, but this one had such a heavy fat cap under that skin that I found it too much fat and too gross. By the time I was through whacking on it my 8 pounder dropped 2+ pounds! In the future I will inspect the shoulders I buy or go back to butts!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

According to this, wild fennel doesn't have bulbs. Dunno.

Interesting. I'll have to dig to find out I guess. Never really thought about using it. But, this recipe sounds pretty darn good.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've slashed picnics and work rub into them. Works very well. I haven't cooked w. fennel bulb more than a few times. Perhaps because the taste and texture was somewhat strange, I thought it was only OK. I suppose if I was more used to eating fennel bulb, I might have liked it more. For me, small quanitites goes a long way. Fennel pollen tastes really good, but is sort of gritty. Picnics are more common at the market where I shop. They can benefit from injection. The meat is more compact than the shoulder, and the injection doesn't run out so easily. But the picnic doesn't need the injection to remain succulent, and I think it tastes a little better than the butt.
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I first discovered fennel in this recipe, and we love it. The fennel gives the dish a slight sweet anise flavor.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pork-chops-with-fennel-and-caper-sauce-recipe.html

Member since 2009
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thanks @Eggcelsior I have fennel seed, never seen bulbs before. Then again, I haven't looked for it...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    RRP, you could always make Chicharones as an appetizer if you get another one like that.
    Dearborn MI
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    We should call this "The Fennel Thread"! :)

My first fennel recipe, and one I haven't had in quite a while, was this side dish of haricots verts, fennel and shallots. Time to try it again!

Another delicious main dish is chicken breasts with fennel and tomatoes. The first time I had it, my son cooked it from a recipe in one of my cookbooks. Wonderful!! 

Recipe from the Mayo Clinic Williams-Sonoma Cookbook 

Definitely going to try the pork n fennel!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut