Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Let's talk coolers for camping

Options
I just purchased a condo (tent) to go camping as our old tent was old. Bought a Coleman hampton which sleeps 9 and is something like 6'-something all the way across the tent so no more bending over. It's pretty nice!

Anyways, now I'm looking for a nice cooler to compliment it. I'd like to get something that will last a long time and hold ice for at least 4-5 days if possible. 

I'd like to hear some real world input on the coolers you have.

TIA

Comments

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    YETI
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pelican - cheaper than a yeti, just as insulated, lifetime warranty.  Plus I like the styling and latches better.  They make most of the military cases for the US forces.
    Options
    I can't speak to the Pelican, as I don't own one... but, I love my YETI.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Any input any of you can add besides the names?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have a Pelican 65qt. It is fantastic. 2 inch insulation all around, freezer-grade gasket for sealing tight. Great latches. You can hook a hose to the drain plug. Metal hinge. Much better handles than Yeti. Rubber no-slip feet. Bear proof, lockable.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

I enjoy the 35qt Pelican.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HGKJXM/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Size wise, worked out best along with the 120qt Igloo ATC for the big trips.  Quality made, very sturdy hinges, clasps, and handles.  Only downfall would be weight when full.  The key I found to the hybrid coolers, is precooling 24hrs before using.  On Friday night, dumped my icemaker box into the Pelican.  Saturday, filled with dogs, steaks, sausages, bacon, canadian bacon, brats, burgers, eggs, and a case of beer.  Then added a small bag of ice from the store, was $1.16.  Kept everything cold, even dumped out ice on Sunday night.  Temps were in the 80s and sunny during the day.  Cooler stayed exposed in the truck bed entire trip.  Paid $190 new for the Pelican, it will pay for itself in several years of use.  To ease loading, I take the cooler out to the truck, then add items and ice.  I looked at Yeti too, but couldn't get over the extra price and goofy locking clasps.  I'm sure they perform equally.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Worked in an industrial coatings plant for 5 years.  Used a Pelican Mitylite to flush blenders.  The damn thing was bulletproof, would get drenched in Xylene, MEK, and Toluene regularly.  Still works like a champ, bright light. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Yeti 

Dearborn MI
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2014
    Options
    As soon as they make a yeti with wheels I'll get it. Until then I have several Coleman max in different sizes that work fine. None of them will hold ice for 3-4 days if you plan on opening and close it. The 4-5 day coolers you have to pre cool and not open to get them to last that long.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like both Pelican and Engel as I have both. When it comes to high end coolers one really doesn't offer any advantage over the other. They all serve and meet the same purpose. They do have different features and latches but that's about the only difference. As far as real world performance you will not notice any difference in any if them. All that being said chose the size and features that you like and don't concern yourself to much over which brand as they are all at the top of the spectrum. Pelican, Yeti, Engel, and Bear just to name a few will all meet and probably exceed your needs and expectations in both performance and durability. As always I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Just curious if anyone knows why this thread don't bump when commented on?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I didn't know about the divider in the yeti. You got a pic of that? @mountaindewbass‌
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    "OT:" in the title is my guess.
    Options
    Here is what we have for our two Yeti coolers, pricey but they do work!! www.ramblerwheels.com And yes we love our Yeti coolers!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    I have Colemans. My beer don't last as long as the ice.
    Flint, Michigan
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Quite simply, I buy the high end coolers because I am sick of replacing cheap ones. Ice does last a bit longer but the durability is what draws me to them. I can stand on any of mine and use them for sight casting In the flats. I have a 65qt yeti and 20qt yeti that is 10years old ( only 1/2 they made as prototype).
    A 65qt grizzly (us made)
    A 30qt and 50qt k2 cube.
    I sold 2 yetis this year I had sitting in garage.

All in all if I buy a new one now. It would be the Orca (identical to yeti and USA made) or another engel like I had years ago
    Beaufort, SC
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Nothing beats a good ole styrofoam cooler. I'm partial to the ones sold at 7-eleven personally.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings