Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dang you Mini-Max!!!

Here is my dilemma folks. I have an XL and a small on my back porch that get plenty of use. Last fall I bought a mini to take tailgating at Alabama games. We had a baby last fall, so we sold our season tickets, therefore I have not used the mini yet. I can't decide if I should sell the mini and get the mini-max when it comes out, or sell the small and the mini, and use the mini-max for grilling at the house and tailgating. I'm sure I am not the only person dealing with this. What are your thoughts?

Or, I could just take out a mortgage and get an XXL...

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I have a kamado joe jr and the mini max will certainly be a green copy of it due to its overwhelming sales volume. BGE had to respond with some thing as they are losing a huge share of sales to the joe jr. That being said I would go with the mini max if I didn't have the joe jr. To me they just make more sense. The mini is to small for most and the small is to large to be easily portable. The joe jr and the mini max split the difference. You get almost the portability of the mini and you get exactly the cooking grid capacity of the small. The best of both worlds in my opinion. Hey they all have there place but the joe jr and the mini max serve a dual role and that's a good thing. As far as which one you should sell only you know your likes and dislikes about each one. But myself if faced with your dilemma I would sell both and go with the joe jr or mini max for reasons already stated. To each his own my friend, but like I said you get two in one with the joe jr and the mini max if it turns out to be a copy of the joe jr. At this point its almost a certainty that it will based on the success the joe jr. BGE has certainly noticed the little red ceramics popping up every where and the mini max is a direct response to this. Again the joe jr or mini max get my vote over the small or mini. Oh and sorry to hear that you had to sell those Alabama season tickets. That's heart breaking my friend. Heart breaking indeed. ROLLLLLLLLLLL Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thanks for the detailed input SGH. As a side note, I feel kinda bad because the mother in law got me a mini Woo for Christmas that I will never use...

And about the tickets, I am still a season ticket holder. I just sold last season's tickets. Roll Tide!

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

And about the tickets, I am still a season ticket holder. I just sold last season's tickets. Roll Tide!

Myself included. Roll Tide!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Sell the mini and the small and buy a mini-max and some nice steaks!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    How much for the mini woo?
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    So the Buckeyes just got an Alabama transfer named Chad Lindsay . . are we going to like this guy?

TRADING CRIMSON FOR SCARLET

Alabama transfer Chad Lindsay could be an impact player for Ohio State in 2014.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Crimson and scarlet have won against us but. GO BLUE
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited May 2014
    NDG said:
    So the Buckeyes just got an Alabama transfer named Chad Lindsay . . are we going to like this guy?

TRADING CRIMSON FOR SCARLET

Alabama transfer Chad Lindsay could be an impact player for Ohio State in 2014.

Not sure if you copied the headline from this article or not.  Go Bucks!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @saluki2007 . . . yes I did, ELEVENWARRIORS.COM is my go-to website!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • You will be impressed with Chad Lindsey. Our starting center went down during the middle of the season and I could not see any dropoff when Chad was starting.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Keep the small
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    SGH said:
    I have a kamado joe jr and the mini max will certainly be a green copy of it due to its overwhelming sales volume. BGE had to respond with some thing as they are losing a huge share of sales to the joe jr. That being said I would go with the mini max if I didn't have the joe jr. To me they just make more sense. The mini is to small for most and the small is to large to be easily portable. The joe jr and the mini max split the difference. You get almost the portability of the mini and you get exactly the cooking grid capacity of the small. The best of both worlds in my opinion. Hey they all have there place but the joe jr and the mini max serve a dual role and that's a good thing. As far as which one you should sell only you know your likes and dislikes about each one. But myself if faced with your dilemma I would sell both and go with the joe jr or mini max for reasons already stated. To each his own my friend, but like I said you get two in one with the joe jr and the mini max if it turns out to be a copy of the joe jr. At this point its almost a certainty that it will based on the success the joe jr. BGE has certainly noticed the little red ceramics popping up every where and the mini max is a direct response to this. Again the joe jr or mini max get my vote over the small or mini. Oh and sorry to hear that you had to sell those Alabama season tickets. That's heart breaking my friend. Heart breaking indeed. ROLLLLLLLLLLL Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you seem so sure that this mini-max is coming...where do you get this info from? just curious!
    Brandon, MS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Sold my Small and bought a Mini (and a couple of Larges) and not ever regretted it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    If you already have a small and a mini I can't see why you would want the minimax. Everybody's all on board with the mini max but no one has even cooked on one yet. I stopped by my local dealer and they called home base and they wouldn't even quote a price for the minimax. The quoted price for the XXL... $3,999.99
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • @td66snrf I want the mini-max because when we tailgate, we are usually cooking for 5-12 people, depending on the game. That can be difficult on the mini when only 3 burgers (i make them kinda small) will fit at a time. I cook for that many people often at the house on the small without much trouble.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I just checked the Small and MiniMax have the same cooking surface area. That's crazy. Both are 13 inches for a total of 133 sq inchs.

Guess my small now seems even smaller lol :( Time for an upgrade haha
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Texted local dealer and told him I wanted the first one they get in.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Kamado Joe Jr. is 149 square inches of cooking area in a compact grill design.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    SGH said:
    you seem so sure that this mini-max is coming...where do you get this info from? just curious!

I live around the corner from the mothership. The Mini Max is a sure thing! I'll be selling my mini for the Max, the max will also come with a carrier/stand.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Sorry for the side pics. Here is the Mini Max
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • I want that!!!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    RLeeper said:

Mini improvement - Yes

Small improvement - Not a chance

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I think I rather have the small from the photos I've seen here.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    WeberWho? said:
    Mini improvement - Yes Small improvement - Not a chance
    I agree.  Since it appears the Mini Max is essentially a small with the bottom lopped off, I would prefer to have my small, and get my food a little bit further away from the fire.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Cowdogs said:
    WeberWho? said:
    Mini improvement - Yes Small improvement - Not a chance
    I agree.  Since it appears the Mini Max is essentially a small with the bottom lopped off, I would prefer to have my small, and get my food a little bit further away from the fire.

I like may XL and it is farther away then the mini max.  I won't be getting a second one for a while though.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    One difference to note, based on the pics, is that the mini-max appears to have a spark shield on the lower vent. The Joe Jr. does not. It hasn't been an issue for me, but I wanted to point it out for those that it will be an issue for. Good looking grill!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • In the short time I have had my LBGE I have learned a ton. I have also learned that while even though in my opinion it doesnt take any longer than a gas grill to heat up, the start up time on a weeknight is a concern of swmbo. This may be in part to me being such a newb. Another thing I have learned is that everyone who has had food cooked on the egg is in love with it. That being said I really like the appearance of portability with the minimax. I understand that you wont get the grid space with one of the larger eggs but I'm thinking for portabilitys sake(the inlaws, tailgating, possibly my office on casual Fridays). I dont know that I would ever cook something low n slow on a mini max but i would definitely crank her up for a bunch of chicken, steaks brts etc. at the family cookout, IMHO.

I've had my large less than a month and I'm already talking about a minimax...I've got issues.

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• In the short time I have had my LBGE I have learned a ton. I have also learned that while even though in my opinion it doesnt take any longer than a gas grill to heat up, the start up time on a weeknight is a concern of swmbo. This may be in part to me being such a newb. Another thing I have learned is that everyone who has had food cooked on the egg is in love with it. That being said I really like the appearance of portability with the minimax. I understand that you wont get the grid space with one of the larger eggs but I'm thinking for portabilitys sake(the inlaws, tailgating, possibly my office on casual Fridays). I dont know that I would ever cook something low n slow on a mini max but i would definitely crank her up for a bunch of chicken, steaks brts etc. at the family cookout, IMHO.

I've had my large less than a month and I'm already talking about a minimax...I've got issues.

Issues? What you've got, sir, is a fever. And the only prescription, is more Green Egg!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

In the short time I have had my LBGE I have learned a ton. I have also learned that while even though in my opinion it doesnt take any longer than a gas grill to heat up, the start up time on a weeknight is a concern of swmbo. This may be in part to me being such a newb. Another thing I have learned is that everyone who has had food cooked on the egg is in love with it. That being said I really like the appearance of portability with the minimax. I understand that you wont get the grid space with one of the larger eggs but I'm thinking for portabilitys sake(the inlaws, tailgating, possibly my office on casual Fridays). I dont know that I would ever cook something low n slow on a mini max but i would definitely crank her up for a bunch of chicken, steaks brts etc. at the family cookout, IMHO.

Issues? What you've got, sir, is a fever. And the only prescription, is more Green Egg!
    This guy knows what's up.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    is that THE Bruce Dickinson?  the guy who puts his pants on one leg at a time like everyone else but when his pants are on, he makes gold records?!