Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs?

What is the best setup up and process for baby backs and also for a pork loin?

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited May 2014
    Baby backs are best removing membrane, rubbing down with a  dry paper towel, applying a thin coating of yellow mustard, then your rub of choice, indirect for approx. five hours at 250-270*.  I prefer doing 2-1-2 (two hours unwrapped, one hour wrapped in foil and maybe adding some butter or honey or apple juice or brown sugar or any combination thereof, then another two hours unwrapped to finish).  Or you can just go straight through five hours without ever lifting the lid.  That works too.  My wood of choice is generally hickory for ribs along with a compliment of either apple or cherry. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Dr. BBQ has a pretty cool ribs iPhone app complete with rubs and sauce ingredients.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• rdcollum
    rdcollum Posts: 6
    Legs up or down
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Legs up on the plate setter for indirect cook.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited May 2014

I just don't have 5 hours , I go 350 dome indirect for 1.5 to 2 hours. until they pass the bend test and meat has pulled back. And I use a couple of pecan chunks  family loves them.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    No foil ever. Remove membrane,rub with mustard, apply rub, cook on Egg at 250 dome temp for about 4 hours. Check with bend test. If you want sauce do it the last 30 mins. Do not forget the Budweiser. :)>-
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    You don't need mustard for the rub to stick.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Ribs are a little like having babies......they are born around the world in hospitals, houses, tents, huts, so and so forth. Pain medicine or not, mothers have babies in all kind of conditions and situations. Guess what...most grow up to be adults, no matter what.

Foil, no foil, low and slow, turbo, sweet rubs and sauce, wet or dry, memphis style, so on and so forth. Let's face it, cooking ribs is one of those things that everyone has a way they do it and NONE of them are wrong. 

In the end, do whatever you think gives the taste and texture you want and don't let folks tell you that what you are doing is wrong, cause it ain't!

I bet everyone who has commented in this thread makes great ribs....period.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    If you don't mind foil I do 2-2-30-30 using a few TBSP of pineapple juice while foiling if you want them fall off the bone. If you want them to stick a little more cut back on foiling time. Spares I'll do 3-2-30-30
    Dearborn MI
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Springram said:
    Ribs are a little like having babies......they are born around the world in hospitals, houses, tents, huts, so and so forth. Pain medicine or not, mothers have babies in all kind of conditions and situations. Guess what...most grow up to be adults, no matter what.

Foil, no foil, low and slow, turbo, sweet rubs and sauce, wet or dry, memphis style, so on and so forth. Let's face it, cooking ribs is one of those things that everyone has a way they do it and NONE of them are wrong. 

In the end, do whatever you think gives the taste and texture you want and don't let folks tell you that what you are doing is wrong, cause it ain't!

I bet everyone who has commented in this thread makes great ribs....period.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    Resurrecting an old discussion here... Best words (above) I've seen on this topic in a long time. 
    Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]