Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted red peppers - Need a recipe to use them

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
We had a bunch of sweet red peppers and I knew I would have a hot grill, so I decided to try roasting them.  Learned a few things in the process.
1.  a really hot fire is good - no need to be shy, but wear mitts, even with long tongs
2. don't worry if they even get totally black - it all rubs off
3. the black stuff is way easier to peel than the not black stuff.

Anyways, I now have a mess of roasted red peppers, looking for a recipe to use them.  Anybody have a good one to share?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    edited May 2014
    Options
    ROASTED PEPPER SALAD: DRESSING 1 clove garlic chopped 1/2 tsp coarse salt or more to taste 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar 1 tbsp lemon juice 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley or slivered fresh basil 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts 1. Grill peppers till charred on all sides. Transfer peppers to dish and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool to room temperature. 2. For dressing, mash garlic and salt together. Add vinegar and lemon juice and whisk until salt is dissolved. Whisk in oil, parsley and pine nuts. 3. Scrape skin of peppers. Cut into strips and arrange on a platter, alternating the different colors. Stir the dressing and spread over the peppers.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No recipe, but salsa was the first thing I thought of.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    Soup. Pizza toppings. Or make a Porcetta and put the peppers on the sandwiches

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Actually Pizza on the Egg is planned for Friday, but I won't use that many there.
    Rochester, NY
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options
    Bob, how about some pinwheels using skirt or flanksteak with some spinach, garlic maybe some cheese? Every Christmas I make a large tenderloin roast in the oven with twice baked potatoes and red peppers roasted over charcoal in my weber gold one touch, everyone loves and expects them served as a side with a little olive oil! Theyll be great on your pizzas and anything else! Good luck!!
    BTW next Christmas I'll be making everything in my large!!!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    My favorite thing to do with roasted red bell peppers is... Pasta! It makes a killer sauce. Put in food processor your roasted peppers and some garlic. Maybe some herbs of your choice and purée it. Put it in a pot with some chicken stock then add heavy cream and simmer it till it's reduced and thickened!
    NW IOWA
  • Philly35
    Options
    You can also use your food processor to mash up the peppers and some garlic and add it to mashed potatoes for a tasty side. Roasted bell peppers are also real simple to turn into a sauce for just about anything.
    NW IOWA
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Fiery Hawaiian pizza. Roasted peppers, jalapeno, ham, pineapple, and bacon. Then serve with a bit of tabasco.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I can't believe no one mentioned sausage and peppers. Toss the peppers in with some nice italian sausage, onions, and way too much garlic. Add some of your favorite tomato sauce some penne and you are good to go, brother. 
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Make a romesco sauce. It can go with all kinds of foods.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    You could make a roasted red pepper dip and serve it with pita, veggies or chips as an appetizer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Roasted red pepper Humous. Make a sauce similar to pizza sauce and use it on pies. Makes great Bruschetta in place of tomatoes and drizzled with a balsamic reduction and fresh basil..........all kinds of uses. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    My favorite thing to do with roasted red bell peppers is... Pasta! It makes a killer sauce. Put in food processor your roasted peppers and some garlic. Maybe some herbs of your choice and purée it. Put it in a pot with some chicken stock then add heavy cream and simmer it till it's reduced and thickened!
    This looks like a winner. I will do it tonight with some tortellini and chicken breast.  The egg will not be involved though :(
    Rochester, NY
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    C'mon, the answer is Pimento Cheese Spread.  Red peppers are a substitute for Pimento peppers, although Pimentos are sweeter than ordinary red peppers.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    Paella.

I may be able to submit a photo or two of last nights cook on a Weber kettle later today.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Roasted red pepper and garlic aioli.  Google it.  Then find something to use it with like crab cakes.
    Options
  • Philly35
    Options
    @Cookinbob‌ I won I won! I don't think I would use the egg for this either. I used to work at a high end restaurant and on pasta bar night people would come in and the first words out of their mouths were always "What's the feature sauce of the evening?" I always got a lot of request for this one. Let me know how it turns out!
    NW IOWA
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    @Cookinbob‌ I won I won! I don't think I would use the egg for this either. I used to work at a high end restaurant and on pasta bar night people would come in and the first words out of their mouths were always "What's the feature sauce of the evening?" I always got a lot of request for this one. Let me know how it turns out!
    Yes you won @Philly35.  It was REALLY GOOD.  I started with a good pile of the peppers, added about 2 cups of home made stock, then hit it with the immersion blender.  Dried basil and oregano plus a little salt. I added diced sauteed chicken breast (gotta have my protein).   I used evaporated milk instead of heavy cream (saves a bunch of calories and works great).  Only shortcoming was time as I was a bit rushed and did not get it cooked down as thick as I wanted.  So I dipped bread in the sauce and ate what was left with a spoon like soup - it was that good! Sorry no pics, but it did happen!  I will do it again.

@Womaus,  your Paella looks like a work of art!  Nicely done, mine is never so symmetric.  Tell me about the lemons, They look great, but I have never added citrus to my Paella.  Also curious as to what is the 3rd protein.  I see shrimp and mussels - are those chicken thighs?
    Rochester, NY
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Goulash. Lots of (chopped) roasted peppers in a beef stew with paprika and caraway seeds (buzzed in a grinder or they look like mouse turds). Flambe the beef with Aquavit when searing for even more caraway flavor.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

@Womaus,  your Paella looks like a work of art!  Nicely done, mine is never so symmetric.  Tell me about the lemons, They look great, but I have never added citrus to my Paella.  Also curious as to what is the 3rd protein.  I see shrimp and mussels - are those chicken thighs?
    Indeed they are chicken thighs, also a couple sticks of chorizo...think of it as a Valencian style Mixta paella (otherwise known as a bastardized paella by the purists). I trim the thighs, then usually halve them with a cleaver. Toss all of the trimmings into a pot with the shrimp shells, onion remnants, tomato skins, parsley trimmings, saffron to make the liquid stock to add during the cook. 
    I got a good socarrat this time, though it could have used another 5 minutes on the flame. Lemons go on when the disk is foiled for 10 minutes.
    Getting better with each attempt...this was probably my 12th or so.