Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

flap meat chimichurri

Options
BYS1981
BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
I've been dying to try a chimichurri sauce ever since setting it on America's test kitchen, I finally got around to it last weekend. I really enjoyed it.

I'm on my phone, but if anyone is interested I can post the recipe.

Comments

• Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    That looks very good. Would like to know more about that sauce.
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • BYS1981
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'm out, but I will post it tonight. @Jackh‌
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Not trying to step on anyones toes, here's one I use and like.

Argentine Chimichurri:

2 bunches Italian Flatleaf Parsley (about 5 cups)

1 head garlic (approx. 20 cloves)

1 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt

1 tsp Black Pepper (freshly ground)

1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper

2 Tbsp Dried Oregano

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp Balsamic Reduction 

4 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar

1/2 cup EVOO

1/4 cup water (approx. - may have been less)

I minced the parsley and garlic together on cutting board with chef's knife until finely minced.  Placed in bowl then added the remaining ingredients.  The water was added last to help acquire the desired consistency.  I didn't measure water so above is approximate. 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks good. I love chimichurri sauces.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • BYS1981
    Options
    HOW DARE YOU @BILLYRAY haha jk

Serves 6 to 8

The chimichurri sauce can be made up to 3 days in advance. Our preferred steak for this recipe is strip steak, also known as New York strip. A less expensive alternative is a boneless shell sirloin steak (or top sirloin steak). We prefer oak, but other types of wood chunks can be used. Flipping 3 times during cooking allows for even cooking and limits flare-ups. To substitute table salt for kosher salt, halve the amounts listed in the recipe.

Ingredients

• Chimichurri Sauce
    • 1/4 cup hot water
    • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    • 2 teaspoons kosher salt (see note)
    • 1 1/3 cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
    • 2/3 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
    • 6 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)
    • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    • Steak
    • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
    • 2 tablespoons kosher salt (see note)
    • 4 boneless strip steaks, 1 1/2 inches thick (about 1 pound each) (see note)
    • 4 (2-inch) unsoaked wood chunks (see note)
    • Ground black pepper

Instructions

1. FOR THE SAUCE: Combine hot water, oregano, and salt in small bowl; let stand 5 minutes to soften oregano. Pulse parsley, cilantro, garlic, and red pepper flakes in food processor until coarsely chopped, about ten 1-second pulses. Add water mixture and vinegar and pulse briefly to combine. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and slowly whisk in oil until incorporated and mixture is emulsified. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature at least 1 hour (if preparing sauce in advance, refrigerate and bring to room temperature before using).

2. FOR THE STEAK: Combine cornstarch and salt in small bowl. Pat steaks dry with paper towels and place on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Rub entire surface of steaks with cornstarch mixture and place steaks, uncovered, in freezer until very firm, about 30 minutes.

3. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal (6 quarts, about 100 briquettes) and allow to burn until coals are fully ignited and partially covered with thin layer of ash, about 20 minutes. Arrange coals in single layer over entire surface of grill and, using tongs, place wood chunks directly on top of coals, spacing them evenly around perimeter of grill. Position cooking grate over coals, cover grill, and heat grate until hot, about 5 minutes. Scrape cooking grate clean with grill brush. Grill is ready when coals are hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above grate for 2 seconds).

4. Season steaks with pepper. Place steaks on grill, cover, and cook until steaks begin to char, 2 to 3 minutes. Uncover grill, flip steaks, and cook on second side until beginning to char, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip again and cook first side until well charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip 1 last time and continue to cook until second side is well charred and instant-read thermometer inserted into center of steak registers 115 degrees for rare, about 2 minutes, or 120 degrees for medium-rare, about 4 minutes. Transfer to large plate and let rest, loosely tented with foil, for 10 minutes. Slice and serve, passing chimichurri sauce separately.