Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Advice on Cooking Tolopia Tonight?

Options
I'm trying out tolopia on the egg tonight. Should I go direct or indirect, raised or not and what temp. I'm going with raspberry chiplote almond encrusted . I was thinking 350-400 for about 10 minutes. I've not cooked fish on the grill in over 20 years. Need advice please?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Direct for sure.

Cook until it starts to flake.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Not a big fan of Tilapia but, broiled or baked at 375℉ in a shallow pan with 1/4C chopped green onions, half of lemon thinly sliced, 4T butter, kosher salt to taste, ground pepper to taste, 1T chopped fresh parsley and 1/2T shallots. Makes roughly 6 fillets. The lemon can be just squeezed onto the fillets if you like (I just prefer the thin slices).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Forgot to ask but, is this market fresh with skin on or frozen fillets?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    The challenge with Tilapia is it's a very mild fish. Typically farm raised, which I'm ok with given it's sustainable, but flavor suffers. Citrus of any kind helps. Raised direct at 450 or above will result in nice grill marks, just be sure your grate is clean and well oiled to prevent sticking.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Forgot to ask but, is this market fresh with skin on or frozen fillets?

They are frozen and sitting out thawing. The wife likes it so I am trying it out. My neighbor suggests 400 for about 10 minutes. I'm using a new cooking great and putting on yellow and green sliced zucchini first.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I like raised direct on a bed of lime slices.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have done as @dmw suggests and have used lemons,limes or oranges.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The frogmat is a great tool for thin filets

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    Options
    Many ways to cook it. Have enjoyed it but enjoy many other species more. It is cost effective. Much is imported from China. I avoid that.

I have actually done some nice dishes with it coated with cashews, fried, and served with a Thai sweet sour sauce. But never grilled it. Tuna and Mahi all I ever grilled.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have done as @dmw suggests and have used lemons,limes or oranges.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Dinner was ok to me. I'm not a big fan of this kind of fish. I like shrimp, scallops and lobster. The expensive stuff of course. To much work for an ok meal. My son doesn't want to eat it, but has many times before. Sorry worthless phone won't upload pic.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Go blackened. Put your CI In the egg and get it around 550 and toss a pat of butter in with seasoned filets and go 2.5 per side and you should be good.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Ladeback69
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:
    Go blackened. Put your CI In the egg and get it around 550 and toss a pat of butter in with seasoned filets and go 2.5 per side and you should be good.

That sounds like a posibliity, just need CI skillet. Neighbor may let me try his. Thanks for the advice.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌
    If you want to truly enjoy Tilapia next time try this. I know it's not egged but it's far better in my opinion. Soak it in whole milk for 4 hours in the refrigerator then remove and pat dry. Coat with seasoned fish fry and deep fry at 375-400 until golden brown. Don't skip the soak in whole milk. I think you will enjoy it my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    +1 with @TUTTLE871‌
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Sounds like you're already done.  But if there's a next time, tilapia filet is a good substitute for trout in a meuniere amandine - a classic brown butter french dish.   This is very popular here in NOLA.  Very simple dish to prepare although you'll need to do a little frying.

See:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Trout-with-Brown-Butter-and-Almonds-Trout-Meuniere-Amandine
    Options
    I think we may be trying some Salmon next time we do fish. I still want to do some seafood on it. Thanks for all the ideas.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead we eat a lot of tilapia and will be trying that recipe.

Johns Creek, Georgia