Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed pork tenderloin

Options
Did this from one of Smokin meat Forum recipes. Came out good. Butterflied half a pork loin. Put in some Peach pie filling, sprinkled some rub with rub, some crushed pecans, spinach. Rolled and tied, more rub on outside. smoked with some hickory for at 250 for 3 hours or so. Was not sure about the spinach with peach but it worked. Made a sauce with some canned peaches, fresh mango slices, brown sugar, and some sweet soy.

Need to improve my butterfly technique a bit. I started it way too early - did not expect it to cook as fast as it did but overall tasted decent. .

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The roll looks good. What was the IT after the 3hr cook?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Cooked to 165. Just finished it an hour early and so i foiled it and held it an hour. Will not make that mistake again.
  • SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Options
    You pulled it at 165 or it rose to that temp? My first one I pulled at 160 and it was overdone. You can pull around 145.
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    Options
    Yeah... It was moist but would have been better if I went to 145 - 150 and not right to 165;
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Try pulling at 135 and let it rise to140 and see what you think my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Looks like a nice cook.

I've found that after pulling off the heat, if I let the meat cool down on a rack so that it doesn't keep cooking as rigorously as it does when immediately foiled, I can minimize that overshoot.  If you want to keep it warm, after the outside cools down to the touch, tent with foil or put in a warming oven.
    Options
    With respect to temperature I am good with 145 or so. Wife likes stuff cooked a bit more. the 165 was just plain way too high. Going to cook the other half of that loin tomorrow without butterflying and will just bring it up to like 140 or so.I usually cook tenderloins to about 150 and eye rounds to 115. Eye rounds I stick right in the fridge and slice the next day. Loins good sliced thin too for cuban sandwiches.