Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised and direct??

I am new to the eggheads and have seen recipes that called for "raised and direct" cooking. Like I said, I'm new, so don't fall over laughing. Thanks for any help
Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2014
    Welcome to the forum. 

Raised direct means you raise up your cooking grid to the felt line or higher. 

Indirect is shielding the food from direct heat from the fire.  You can do this with the plate setter.  This turns the egg into an oven.

Don't believe everything you read here, but some good info:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/getting-started/first-timer-tips/

I'm guessing there is a raised grate sold for the LGE.  I will shop around. Thanks for the quick reply
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You can use a couple of bricks turned on edge on the fire ring. Or three empty beer cans. Or you can buy a Woo or Adjustable Rig from the http://ceramicgrillstore.com/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    There's an AR rig, Woo, few other aftermarket raised and adjustable grids out there.  I use bricks and a spare grate.   I don't know much about the AR and woo because I don't have one but there are hundreds of threads on them if you search. 

Tip:  do all your searches on google like "big green egg forum adjustable rig ar woo"

The forum search engine sux.
    edited May 2014
    @gbvinla - Welcome to the forum!

BGE makes a couple of options for raising your grate (these are not very popular here on the forum). With a little more time spent here, you will quickly see items like the Adjustable Rig, Weber grates elevated with bolts and washers, people using fire bricks, beer cans, or whatever to achieve the "raised direct" cooking level. There are lots of ways to do it.

I would recommend you look keep an eye on the forum for a few days and see if you find something that looks like it will work for how you want to cook. The BGE tier systems are not nearly as nice to use as what others have developed in my opinion. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    gbvinla said:

I am new to the eggheads and have seen recipes that called for "raised and direct" cooking. Like I said, I'm new, so don't fall over laughing. Thanks for any help</blockquote
    Here is my set up, 3- 4 inch tall pots and a 18 inch grate

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Grill Dome GE-L Grill Extender, Large http://amzn.com/B004JF60DI A basic and less expensive option.
    Kemah, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Was over at my buddy's place that just got a LBGE Sat night. Doing stuffed burgers and a spatchcocked. He didn't have a raised setup. Problem was quickly solved and the grid was resting on 3 empty beer cans sitting in the plate setter notches in the firering.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @DMW where did you find the beer cans?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @grege345‌ They were full in his fridge. We solved the "full" problem easily. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Atta boy @DMW
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• nolaegghead
    From http://www.biggreenegg.com/getting-started/first-timer-tips/

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MODIFY OR USE NON-BGE COMPONENTS INSIDE YOUR EGG – You may void the warranty and modifications can lead to damage or injury.

Now, everyone, please feel free to laugh.

Note, do not use non-empty cans.
    Another thought... just fill the egg with less lump. For most raised direct cooks, it's not how high the grid is as much as it's the distance between the grid and the lump. I suppose you could run out of lump, depending on what you're cooking. Quick cooks will be fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    I use the bricks and small grate. Would love to one day go AR but for the time being this setup works well for me.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Here is an example.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Here is mine for the XL.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.