Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asparagus ideas

I'm thinking of doing some asparagus in the Egg.  I thought I would use a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil over direct heat - maybe 350 degrees - and toss them like I was sautéing every 3 - 4 minutes tip cooked.

Has anyone done this?

Any other suggestions?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I usually coat the asparagus with olive oil, salt and herbs de provence and roast on some aluminum foil.  Lots of ways to cook.
    Sure. Or just lay 'em on the grid. Sideways of course. :) Some folks use oversize stainless clothespins (can't think of what they're called) to clip several together. To me, just something else to wash. Others use bamboo skewers. Add a little s&p or other favorite seasoning and you're good to go.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    I'm with Nola except, I don't put any foil down, I just spill them perpendicular onto the grill, and cook about 10 to 15 minutes, depending what the temp is.  
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited May 2014
    I just pin 4 or 5 together like a raft using two toothpicks. Then I drizzle with EVOO, S & P and then lay them either directly on the edge of the grate so not direct or actually on top of the meat I am cooking. They cook fast!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Tossed in EVOO and season of choice (swamp venom) and tossed straight on the grate on direct heat.  Make sure to roll them around to cook all sides, and depending on thickness, only takes a couple minutes to be ready(when you pick one up with tongs and the stalk starts to be a little floppy, its done.)

I actually have no problem doing these on the gasser though if the Egg isn't already lit or is full, as its easier to start and the asparagus cooks so fast, the Egg offers no benefits as an alternative.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Carolina Q , I put them on the grill sideways so they don't fall through. I go direct raised at 400 degrees. For prep, I use a heavy duty zip lock bag where I put in the asparagus, EVOO, and rub to mix all together.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I just lay them cross ways as well, I first coat them in olive oil and salt and pepper cook until just tender.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    I torched quite a few bundles of asparagus before I started cooking the on foil. Works like a charm.
    Kemah, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm a big fan of the oversize SS clothespins. Dishwasher makes cleanup easy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    DMW said:

LOL - but I bet you or somebody washes them - right? Me...I just throw away my tooth picks used to make my rafts!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I'm with the oil, rub, direct on the grate folks. Really only takes a couple minutes over some blazing coals. I just roll them along the grate to turn. The high heat gives them an amazing flavor and they can actually be juicy and crisp. Easy peasy and not to be over thought, and never overcooked.

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    RRP said:

DMW said:

LOL - but I bet you or somebody washes them - right? Me...I just throw away my tooth picks used to make my rafts!

The dishwasher at our house is run pretty much every night. A few clips tossed in there is zero additional effort. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I put them in a bag with olive oil and some Italian season for bread dipping. Then cook on grid or in grill pan. If cooked at 400 to 600 it should only take about 3 to 4 minutes. They are great on the grill.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited May 2014
    wrap bundles of 4 wrapped with a strip of bacon and a slice of swiss cheese.Tie with 3 pieces of butchers twine.  Brush with EVO and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook direct until the bacon browns.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Creamed asparagus on toast was a staple at our house in the spring. Would be great smoked I'll bet.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eggLaTech
    eggLaTech Posts: 28
    @RRP I never thought about toothpick idea. Thanks. I do the same though ..EVOO, sea salt n pepper. On top of what I'm cooking for last 15 min.
    Baton Rouge, La - I'm going to quit procrastinating.......starting tomorrow.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I use a vegetable grid so none fall into fire.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    4 or 5 stalks drizzled with EVOO, a little dizzy dust, roll in a nice prosciutto ham slice, toothpick the ham together, put on egg at around 400/450 direct, turn a couple of times till ham starts to crisp up, eat and enjoy!!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    They work great cooked on a cedar plank. In this pic I added feta cheese on top.
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • Dutch_egg
    Dutch_egg Posts: 28
    I do them direct for e few minutes, in EVOO, S&P and some herb de Provence, I serve them with shaved Parmesan, makes for a nice contrast.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    I apply a light coating of EVOO and season with Lemon Pepper seasoning & place them on a CI griddle. Usually @ 425 or 450 high in the dome for about 10 minutes or so.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Farbuck said:
    I'm thinking of doing some asparagus in the Egg.  I thought I would use a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil over direct heat - maybe 350 degrees - and toss them like I was sautéing every 3 - 4 minutes tip cooked.

Has anyone done this?

Any other suggestions?
    2 words

BACON WRAPPED
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited May 2014
    prosciutto oil and rub on the grill is like candy, my asparagus is just starting to break thru the soil this spring
    :) we have a platter of these pretty much every family gathering

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited May 2014
    I like to take asparagus and coat with canola oil, kosher salt, cracked pepper, fresh garlic, and some balsamic vinegar.  The balsamic gives a sweet tang and also some carmalization.  You can also wrap in bacon a couple of spears and cook till done. 

Around 400° till tender. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site