Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice from the wizards among us.....

Options
2»

Comments

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    @SGH thank you sir... thats exactly the stuff i didnt take into account. I can fit both on upright without them rubbing the dome....i guess its each individual. So to get this right guys......party at 6 

first butt on (8.5lbs) at 6am run till it hits 205IT and FTC correct? I always run mine til 205 usually...
    HOW LONG can i ftc this guy and then i guess put in fridge? how about reheating before the party?
    second will be noon ish till 5 i guess.....ftc till party

Beaufort, SC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mickey said:

I do BB's then mustard and BB's again. Love BB's.
    Oh boy...should we clarify that Mickey's great great great great great ( times ???) grandmother was Lott's wife from biblical days?? So he has salt running out his ears? LOL!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mickey said:

I do BB's then mustard and BB's again. Love BB's.
    Oh boy...should we clarify that Mickey's great great great great great ( times ???) grandmother was Lott's wife from biblical days?? So he has salt running out his ears? LOL!

=))
    Beaufort, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH thank you sir...

You are more than welcome my friend. Good luck with your cook.  Just a note, I love my joe jr. Going to get a mini/max when they hit the market. I hear that big green egg has solved the head room issue that I spoke of on the mini/max so it should be a little superior to the joe jr for larger meats. Time will tell my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options

@plumbfir01

Sir I responded to your private message. If you didn't get my response let me know and I will try again. Im not real computer savvy. Sorry.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Updates....once the jr cooled off from earlier cook, I tried to fit both butts on cryovac'ed  they wouldnt fit on edge or flat...looks like singles...
    @SGH
    Options
    #1 is on at 325....check
    coffee for two.....check
    breakfast in bed for the wife.....check

thx for the help guys, but i still want to know should i fridge this on after few hrs ftc? then how to reheat? i have seen rootbeer suggested
    Beaufort, SC
  • SGH
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Once it has been pulled and has time to cool you certainly can refrigerate if you choose. As far as reheating there are many ways that yield great results. One of my favorites is to put the pulled pork in a large pan and add a little Carolina vinegar sauce and heat at 250 degrees until warm. You can even use water or your sauce of choice instead of the Carolina vinegar sauce. All work equally well. At this point you are not trying to add flavor. You are only trying to preserve moisture. You also can put the pulled pork in a large zip lock plastic bag and throw it in a sink of hot water. This works great as well. You can even warm it in your crock pot. Remember it's already cooked . You are only trying to get it to serving temp so it really doesn't matter how you do it as long as you don't over heat it and start drying it out. Hope this helps my friend. And as I said at the beginning I'm certainly not one of the wizards so proceed at your own peril.

Status- Standing by.

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    If u have more than 1 temp probe, leave the probe in the meat for FTC. That way you can monitor the temp to make sure you stay above 150, and thus out of the danger zone. If you fill the cooler full of hot water first, then FTC, you can keep it hot for HOURS. I've had them in the cooler for 3 hours and the meat is still too hot to pull when you unwrap it.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    after a busy night and a lost wallet, I didnt have time to lowNslow the first one so we prepped with mustard then bbbr and covered for fridge. I had already prepped the grill so i woke up at 530 started it up and tossed one on then started breakfast for the wife.  By noon, the first one was done at 205 falling off the bone and the lump was empty.... i filled it to the max and even had to put wedges under the "spyder" legs to keep a gap there when i started so its sitting off the firer ring about an inch. 
    First butt is wrapped towel and cooler'd.  Second one was on by 1 and we are rolling turbo... this is the first eye candy...

thanks for all the help and advice guys!
    Beaufort, SC