Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swing grate or adjustable rig

I'm curious to get some feedback on this from the forum. I'm considering an adjustable rig or a 2-tier swing rack for my LBGE.

I currently just have the stock grate and placesetter. I've been perfectly happy with the placesetter and stock grate but kind of want some extra cooking area for baked potatoes, corn on the cob and things like that.

Is the AR overkill? Is the swing rack not enough?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I picked the swing grate because it fits my needs and works great for the way I cook.

Either one will be a great tool. I'm sure you be happy with either one. Both seem to have great customer service.

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited May 2014
    I have both the 2 tier  Swing Grate by CGW and the Vision AR spider combo by CGS (which fits the large  BGE perfectly) I have cooked on both of them for almost two years.  I use the AR almost every time I cook. I use the Swing Grate for Tri Tip and Steak cooks that require a reverse sear. I have also used it for spatchcocked chicken with a pan of veggies used in this manner. I put the cut of meat on the second tier, and an enameled CI pan of root veggies or apples and onions on the main grate. The pan cooks the veggies and acts as a deflector to give me two heat zones. You could do the same thing on the AR but it just seems easier and more correct on the Swing Arm. If I could only have one, I would probably pick the AR Spider combo with the extender. They are both quality pieces of equipment and very well made, but I think the AR is,  in the end, more versatile  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    AR will be more versatile if that is what you'll need.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    i went with AR for versitility as eggcelsior  said. both are grate products. pun intended.
    Beaufort, SC
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I have swing grate. Its great for pizza raised inderte. , spatchcock raised direct. Ribs and brisket not so much. But then again the top pops right off so you can do everything else at felt line. Either one is my vote
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    One more thing. I have a ps woo and spider as well. I'm covered for all cooks. I don't wish I had an ar I wish I had another egg tho
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    I'm curious to get some feedback on this from the forum. . . . Is the swing rack not enough? Thanks for the help!

A minor point regarding the swing rack:  IF you're picky about your deck's surface, you might end up with some dripping of grease when you swing the grate away from the Egg. 

Of course, a mat will protect your deck, but even that will need to be cleaned off when you're done with your cook (unless you don't mind the dog, flies, and ankle-biters licking grease drippings off your grill mat.).

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Good point. Hadn't thought about that. I'm on a brick paver patio so not as concerning but not exactly trying to attract critters.
  • ktm101
    ktm101 Posts: 61
    I made my own swing grate to see how I would like it before I bought an AR and it is nice, just used a city grate I had from an older grill. I think I might still buy an AR.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    AR is more versatile than swing grate so I'd recommend AR. Plus, AR allows more real estate in my LBGE (3 tier instead 2 tier).

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    adjustable rig. 

I have both and the AR rocks! 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I went with the Swing rack and love it.

Here is a discussion that I posted a few pictures on that might help you decide. I like being able to easily move it out of the way and get to the bottom rack. Both are well made eggcessories and you will be happy with the extra real estate in your egg. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    AR R&B Oval.  Get the stone and foil ring.  

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    I have both. The AR, no contest. Much more versatile and does not warp in high heat.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I am a proud new owner of a Swing Grate, by chance does anyone know max temp when searing? I sure don't want to warp it.

Tim 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    The main grate to my XL swing grate warped badly after a clean burn where I had it up to around 750 degrees.  I have since purchased an AR and am happy with it but truthfully, really miss my swing grate.  I use my AR for large cooks - multiple racks of ribs, multiple butts, lots of chicken, etc... but just really like the ability to swing that top grate to the side to get to the bottom grate.  They both have their selling points.  

Last I heard, Franco was working on redoing the XL swing grate to avoid the warping issue at high heat.  Would love to get my main grate replaced.
    XL BGE
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Yeah, I heard it might warp @ high temps. Glad I still have my 'stock' grate, will use that when I need to sear.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    @SPRIGS....XL 2 tiers will be back in stock shortly.  Send me a PM so I can get you taken care of.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com