Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs without the foil wrap?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
I have a 3 pack of Costco Baby Back ribs that I'd like to smoke today.  Will be my first on the BGE.  Last night I scoured the internet looking for BGE rib recipes and it seems the majority of folks wrap them in foil after a couple hours. (or put them in a foil covered pan)  I used to use that method as well, but was kind of hoping to avoid the hassle today.

Does anyone just let them smoke the duration on the egg?  It's a nice day out and I wanted to spend it with the kids and doing some yard chores...other than watching the Egg temp I was hoping for a low fuss cook.

Any tips if I smoke them without a wrap?

Thanks!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Turbo ribs @350 will be done in 2 hours or less. @250-275 will cook 3.5 -4 hours. No foil. Allow 15-20 min for sauce at the end.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    In the Egg, no really reason to foil unless you want to infuse sweet liquid while in the foil. Sort of a pre-saucing. Rub, raised grill, indirect w. a drip pan, nothin' more. You choice of time/temperature.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I've only cooked ribs three times. The last time was without foil, but I did spritz occasionally. After reading some of the other post on he forum, next time I won't spritz. I think it extended my cook time. Also, I didn't really notice any flavor difference.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Phew!   That's great to hear a chorus of folks telling me I don't need to foil.   Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, Texan...chores.  But not too many.  ;) 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Phew!   That's great to hear a chorus of folks telling me I don't need to foil.   Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, Texan...chores.  But not too many.  ;) 
    I actually don't mind doing yard work myself.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I second the "remove the membrane" statement.  I learned that from the guy who owns Pat's Pig in Topeka Kansas - a great BBQ joint.  I don't wrap them but more tent them.  I put aluminum foil under my rib rack, stand the ribs up in it and then fill the bottom of the rack with a bath of India pale ale and apple juice.  Then I loosely place another piece of aluminum foil on top.  Still sops up lots of smoke.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    I have always removed the membrane but the last two packs of ribs I've bought...no membrane.  Has anyone else found this?   I tried hard to find a corner of membrane to pull on this set of Costco ribs, but it looks like it has already been removed.   Any chance processing plants are starting to do this as part of their trim?

Okay...lighting egg now.  It is also my first smoke with the FOGO charcoal!   Thank you Amazon Prime for delivering me an uncrushed bag of hard to find charcoal.

Going with the no-fuss method today I was going to skip a drip pan as well and just let it drop on the placesetter.  Unless someone shouts I need it to put some fluids in under the ribs.  But again, when I made my brisket many folks here said that on the egg, you don't need it.  Things stay moist.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    I find wrapping is okif you are heavy on the sauce,but I usually just do salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and onion and a little bit if brown sugar. So I never bother wrapping, just the bend test after 4-6 hours and that's it.
    HFX NS
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2014
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    I have always removed the membrane but the last two packs of ribs I've bought...no membrane.  Has anyone else found this?   I tried hard to find a corner of membrane to pull on this set of Costco ribs, but it looks like it has already been removed.   Any chance processing plants are starting to do this as part of their trim?

Okay...lighting egg now.  It is also my first smoke with the FOGO charcoal!   Thank you Amazon Prime for delivering me an uncrushed bag of hard to find charcoal.

Going with the no-fuss method today I was going to skip a drip pan as well and just let it drop on the placesetter.  Unless someone shouts I need it to put some fluids in under the ribs.  But again, when I made my brisket many folks here said that on the egg, you don't need it.  Things stay moist.

I generally add a drip pan with no liquid to catch the drippings.  There is a school of thought here that says that scorched drippings can add an acrid flavor to your meat.  I haven't noticed it, but I don't chance it, and I like to keep the goop out of the egg.  I would put a raised drip pan on the platesetter, but that's me (I use sockets from an old ratchet set to raise it).

But no foil, no spritz, no water pan, IMO.  Just put them on and let them go.

Oh, and FOGO is awesome.  You will love it.
    NOLA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I use (an empty) drip too... forgot to mention that.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I agree that drippings do not really put off acrid smoke. Not indirect at 250 anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Allright, ribs are on. I'll let you know how it goes!

I put a few of the JD Whiskey Barrell smoking chunks in.  I haven't had luck getting flavor out of them yet in the BGE.  Sometimes they just burn and char the meat, so I put them under the arms of the place setter, just in case that happens.  I'm hoping to get enough of a smoke flavor from the FOGO, but we'll see.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Turbo ribs @350 will be done in 2 hours or less. @250-275 will cook 3.5 -4 hours. No foil. Allow 15-20 min for sauce at the end.

I agree. I did my first ribs turbo at 300-350 in 2 hours a few weeks ago, no foil and they were the best.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Another option for determining "doneness" with ribs is the toothpick test-insert a toothpick in the thickest rib meat and get no resistance either way and you are there.  This is especially handy when you have to cut the full slabs for the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Another option for determining "doneness" with ribs is the toothpick test-insert a toothpick in the thickest rib meat and get no resistance either way and you are there.  This is especially handy when you have to cut the full slabs for the cook.  FWIW-
    I found a funny description of that here;

The toothpick test. Jack Waiboer, a champion cook from South Carolina likes the toothpick method. "You poke a toothpick into the meat between the bones. When it slides in with little or no resistance you have a done rack of ribs. It's best to test various parts of the rack to be sure you have them done to your liking. With a little practice you can better judge the doneness of your ribs than the bend test. I hesitate to use the word accurate in a barbecue conversation. After a few beverages accuracy seems to depend on the quality of the bourbon."

Ribs smell great.  I'm shooting for 225 but right now the egg seems happy to sit at 235 which is okay with me.   They've been on for two hours.  Look at the disparity between dome and grate temps-

LBGE/Maryland
  • BugCollector
    Options
    I used to foil and had good results, but I found the the ribs were too mushy for my taste.  The last few racks have been naked and they come out fantastic.
  • grege345
    Options
    I dangle the bbq probe thru dfmt. No dome temp/ grate temp for me. Always dome temp

• KiterTodd
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I dangle the bbq probe thru dfmt. No dome temp/ grate temp for me. Always dome temp

:))  ...sorry, you typed that.  I saw this. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @KiterTodd-The above delta T is no big deal.  The issue many have is "temperature information overload".  Too many temp differences within the BGE so "what is truth" becomes a driver unto itself.  Get comfortable with your calibrated info and use it to manage your cooks.  BTW-the generally accepted practice is that if the temperature of a cook is given without any modifiers, it is dome temp.

BTW-a trick I learned a while ago with the dome thermo, I rotate the thermo (pull it slightly away from the BGE when turning so you don't mess with the calibration) so my target temp is at 12 o'clock.  That way a casual glance lets me know what's trending.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks Lou....  funny stuff.   30 minutes after I took that picture the grill temp (which is what I'm going with) dropped to 232 degrees, but the dome temp was showing 250! 

Who knows what is going on inside that egg, but it still smells good and neither temp is out of line.  ;)  BUT, I did learn that it is not always going to be a consisent pattern of "dome is always higher/lower by X degrees."
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    On Costco loin back ribs, the membrane is always removed.
  • KiterTodd
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Just checked them after 4 hours and they look goooood!!!  First time I've opened the egg.

They didn't pass the bend test...but they looked like they would have passed it if they were full rack ribs (more weight).  I'll let them go another 30 and check again.   They look perfect now to sauce but I tend to like a dry rib with sauce on the side...maybe I'll sauce one rack just for fun.  :)

LBGE/Maryland
  • grege345
    Options
    Great pic

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Another way to check for doneness is to slide a toothpick in the meat between the bones. When it slides like butta, they're done.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Well, the ribs came out awesome, thanks for the tips!  

I let them smoke with no fuss for 4.5 hours and then I took two racks off to FTC and left one on to sauce.   AND, I have to say while both were great, I liked the sauced ones better on the egg.   The egg gives the ribs a very rich flavor (which I like) but it balances out perfect with a sweet caramelized sauce on it.  Also for those who don't have tolerance for a really rich flavor (my wife) the sauced ones are better.  

But we were all still just happy to tear off meat and dip it in sauce on the side.   I'd have to say this is one of the best, if not the best, batches I've ever cooked.  The meat would very easily break free of a white bone underneath, but didn't fall off the bone on it's own.  The right amount of tenderness, moistness and smokyness.  For my next trick I have to figure out how to get 6+ racks on a large Egg because I know I'm going to want to make these again for a party!

PICS!

Here are the two racks I took off to FTC-

Here is a sample I cut just off the grill to check things out.  Wanted to see my smoke ring and give it a taste.  As you know, once it sits...it looks like the next picture...

...and here's one of the sauced ribs.  Just awesome;

LBGE/Maryland
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    I never foil. 4 1/2 hrs into CWM Ribs. Almost pulling time

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• grege345
    Options
    Amazing lookin. I want some!

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Lately, I've just been going without foil. I foiled them for many years and one day I thought I'd try them without. It's just plain easier. I still like the low and slow over the turbo approach. About 250 for 5 hours works for me.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Fantastic pictures!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy