Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomorrow - RIBS (first time)

Hello from Toronto - I'm going to try Ribs tomorrow for the first time.   Would like to keep it relatively simple.  I'd like to do two kinds - some sweet, some spicy.   Can anyone recommend some simple & good recipes to get me going?   I know there's about 1000 posted here - hoping someone can point me in the right direction!   

Doing 5 racks.   Going to set at 250, 3 hours unfoiled, 1 hour sauced and foiled, and about 30 minutes unfoiled to carmelize.  

Cheers and happy cooking this weekend!
Toronto, ON

Comments

• What kind of ribs are you asking about?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Toronto, ON
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2014
    You said "simple" so may I suggest: Baby Back Turbo Ribs 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane, mustard , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

+1 on Turbo ribs,  and Sauce on table,   Plus a nice tip, Heat the sauce up before putting on table,, warm sauce on ribs is better than cold sauce.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Simplest way is to just coat with dry rub and low and slow (around 250*) for about 4 hrs. Use the bend test to check for doneness. I never wrap, spritz or sauce but, that's just a matter of personal preference. You can always have sauce on the side for those that want it or sauce 1 or 2 racks before pulling them off the egg. If you go that route you could go about 1/2 hr. direct on the sauced racks to get the caramelization you want.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I will echo with @Mickey indicated....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@martinhd28 - welcome aboard.  Whereabouts in Toronto are you?  Ontario Gas BBQ sells Bad Byrons Butt rub (that @Mickey mentioned) and Dizzy Pig products (Dizzy Dust et al.)  I think Dickson's has Dizzy Pig too.

If you are looking to make your own rub since you are cooking tomorrow here is a Dr. BBQ rub that looks like it covers the basics...

Dr. BBQ’s rub (combine)
    1/4 cup salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
    1 1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

If you want a store bought sauce you can go with Sweet Baby Rays (available at all GTA big grocery markets).  Some like Bone Sucking Sauces but I find them thin and not as good as SBR.

How many racks are looking to do?  Do you have a raised grid, or are you rib racking?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Another rub that I really like is this one - http://www.basspro.com/Rub-Some-Butt-Carolina-Style-BBQ-Rub/product/10216555/

I've not actually seen it at Bass Pro Shop up here (haven't looked for it there though) but had bought some in Memphis. It's a different style (i.e., Carolina) than I normally use but really did well on baby backs.

I don't have a raised grid (yet) so I'll be using a rack to line them up vertically.  

@BigWader I'm located west of downtown so it's a bit of a haul to get up to Dicksons....Do you know if the Cheese Boutique carries good BBQ rubs too?
    Toronto, ON
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

My best results have come with 2-1-2......two hours unwrapped, wrapped for one hour, then unwrap for the last two hours and lightly sauce about an hour before taking them off if you want to sauce during the cook.  I've found my ideal cooking temp is in the 250-270* range.  I've just done straight five hours too without ever opening which is also good.

And I also like Dizzy Pig rubs that another poster mentioned.  I'd recommend Swamp Venom for the racks you want to have some heat and Dizzy Dust which is a great all-around rub that everyone will enjoy.  Good luck!!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• BigWader

@martinhd28 - I know of the Cheese Boutique but not sure about their selection of rubs. 

I'm west of downtown and south of Pearson.  The BBQ store selection out this way is pretty limited so unless you are trying Crappy Tire for something Ted Reader you could see what the grocery store has.  Bone Suckin' has some rubs if you can find them at Metro I think.

Where did you get your egg?  I got mine at Healthy Butcher but for rubs and stuff Ontario Gas BBQ, Bass Pro and BBQs Galore (Burlington) have some good stuff.  If you can get some "Cluck and Squeal" it is from a guy in Hamilton area and is really good on pork.

Are you adding any wood for smoking?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader said:

@martinhd28 - I know of the Cheese Boutique but not sure about their selection of rubs. 

I'm west of downtown and south of Pearson.  The BBQ store selection out this way is pretty limited so unless you are trying Crappy Tire for something Ted Reader you could see what the grocery store has.  Bone Suckin' has some rubs if you can find them at Metro I think.

Where did you get your egg?  I got mine at Healthy Butcher but for rubs and stuff Ontario Gas BBQ, Bass Pro and BBQs Galore (Burlington) have some good stuff.  If you can get some "Cluck and Squeal" it is from a guy in Hamilton area and is really good on pork.

Are you adding any wood for smoking?

Got the Egg delivered from Dicksons so never actually visited the store. I know the Cheese Boutique has an impressive BBQ sauce selection so I'm sure they have rubs too.   I'll call today. 

For wood I'll be adding soaked chunks of mesquite and applewood. I'll be throwing those on after I light, right before I put in the plate setter and pan to get it back up to temp. 
    Toronto, ON
  • BigWader

Most will tell you that you don't need to worry about the soak anymore.  Also may I suggest to go sparingly or omit the mesquite for pork ribs.  It can have a strong smoke taste that some find unappealing in any sort of amount.

I ran into trouble from the beginning with smoke taste on the egg and my wife.  She is convinced everything on the egg is too smoky.  I only add smoking wood on low and slow and usually cook her dinner on the gas bbq.

If your household hasn't bought into charcoal cooking I recommend going easy initially.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader said:

Most will tell you that you don't need to worry about the soak anymore.  Also may I suggest to go sparingly or omit the mesquite for pork ribs.  It can have a strong smoke taste that some find unappealing in any sort of amount.

I ran into trouble from the beginning with smoke taste on the egg and my wife.  She is convinced everything on the egg is too smoky.  I only add smoking wood on low and slow and usually cook her dinner on the gas bbq.

If your household hasn't bought into charcoal cooking I recommend going easy initially.

Good tips, thanks.   Yes, the girlfriend holds a similar view on "smoke taste" (even when I don't add any additional chunks or chips).   For these ribs I've got her and a few guests geared up for "smoked ribs" so pretty sure I'll charge forward fearlessly.    On your advice maybe I'll just stick with the applewood though, so as not to overwhelm them.   

I did a chicken with heavy mesquite on day 1 that everyone loved and devoured in about 2 minutes. 
    Toronto, ON
  • Just remember, it's easier (and usually cheaper) to replace a girlfriend that it is a wife!  ;)
    Toronto, ON
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    "For wood I'll be adding soaked chunks of mesquite and applewood. I'll be throwing those on after I light, right before I put in the plate setter and pan to get it back up to temp." Yeah, don't soak the wood. Mesquite has a sharp flavor, and will overwhelm the apple. Personally, I'd go just w. the apple. I prefer oak or hickory, but every one in my fammily likes the smoke flavors. Raise the pan off the 'setter. The setter gets really hot, even w. a dome at 250F. I've measured 400+. Its soaking up all that IR from the lump, and will get so hot that the drippings in the pan can burn. Not a good thing.
  • gdenby said:
    "For wood I'll be adding soaked chunks of mesquite and applewood. I'll be throwing those on after I light, right before I put in the plate setter and pan to get it back up to temp." Yeah, don't soak the wood. Mesquite has a sharp flavor, and will overwhelm the apple. Personally, I'd go just w. the apple. I prefer oak or hickory, but every one in my fammily likes the smoke flavors. Raise the pan off the 'setter. The setter gets really hot, even w. a dome at 250F. I've measured 400+. Its soaking up all that IR from the lump, and will get so hot that the drippings in the pan can burn. Not a good thing.
    Thanks - how should I raise the pan off the setter?  
    Toronto, ON
  • I just use 3 copper plumbing tees. Some people just use wadded up foil balls. You only need a small gap to accomplish what @gdenby is talking about.
  • One of the first things I made on my big green egg a couple weeks ago was short ribs. I bought a rub called wicked Georgia heat. The night before I cut the fat off and left the membrane I rub them with mustard and the rub the next morning I put a drip pan and added a bottle of apple juce and 2 stocks of butter put them on the v rack at 200-250 for 3 hours. I took them off set them in the aluminum foil rub butter and Brown sugar on them and put them on the grill for another 2 hours. And then took them out of the aluminum foil raise the temperature up to about 350 and put them directly on the grill and put barbecue sauce 2 minutes on each side. When I got them off the grill I couple of bones fell off when I was trying to pick them up. Better than any ribs I could ever get at any restaurant and a very happy family. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    +2 with @mickey on the turbo ribs. If you want to drag the cook out (and who doesn't from time to time) you can rub them and smoke @250 for about 4-41/2 hrs. Just use the bend test for doneness. And I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub on ribs, nice little kick to it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    I prefer the toothpick test over the bend test to be sure.  Slide a toothpick in the meat between the bones and if it goes in easy then it is done.  
    XL Owner
  • BigWader
    @martinhd28 - update?  How did they turn out?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader said:
    @martinhd28 - update?  How did they turn out?
    Sorry no pics, but they turned out great.  I had them unfoiled for just under 3 hours, foiled them with maple syrup for another ~40 mins and then put them in the cooler for about an hour.   Temp (at grid) was holding steady at about 230 for the first 2.5 hours but then shot up to 270 very quickly when my water pan dried up (I failed to follow the above advice about raising my drip pan above the plate setter).  Anyway the ribs were perfect to my tastes - nice and tender (but not falling right off the bone), good smoke penetration and a nice crisp bark.

After the ribs were done I took out the PS threw on some chicken legs & thighs that I had brining during the rib smoke.   They took about 45 mins at 325 - nicely browned, decent smoke flavour and really moist. 

Guests were beaming, saying it was some of the best BBQ they ever had!   I was quite happy.
    Toronto, ON
  • BigWader
    @martinhd28 - nice way to spend a sunny Sunday I'd say.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE