Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Family heirloom skillet......

GeorgeS
GeorgeS Posts: 955
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
I was down in Florida last week finishing my fathers last wish's and was talking with my aunt about the Egg. She has seen many of my Facebook posts about cooking and I was sharing with her the many things that can be cooked on the Egg. My wife piped in that she loves scallops on the grill but wants a little crisp on the outside. I told my aunt I was on the hunt for a cast iron pan or griddle and she told me she had something for me. She brought out a griddle that as far as she knows belonged to my great grandmother and was used by my grandmother a lot. It was unfortunately covered in pet hair and smelled of smoke so I am working on stripping it and will re-season it once it's clean. I am trying to find some info on the manufacturer and time period. I have a general idea that it is pre 1900 but no clue beyond that. I cannot wait to sear some scallops on it! The handle isn't bent it just looks that way I guess from the photo angle. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• That will be nice to have in your arsenal once seasoned.

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Very nice! I love my griswold griddle for pancakes on the stove.
    Dunedin, FL
  • GeorgeS
    I can't wait to get it clean and ready to use! I am very fortunate to have a few treasured items that have been passed down through my family! I guess I'm the responsible one in the family so I get the good stuff! Before my dad passed he sent me home with a 1955 pre model 27 Smith and Wesson revolver that was the first pistol I fired. He used to love to trick people by loading .38 then .357 mag then .38 then .357 mag all the way around. It puts a smile on my face every time I fire it! Miss him a lot!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014

Beautiful piece George.  Definitely pre 1900, could even be mid-ninetienth century, and European.  Remember seeing that anchor logo once before.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    That is really awesome- love family stuff. Not to be Debbie downer but does putting a family heirloom on the egg hurt it in anyway? Sorry but just want to make sure it is okay to pass to the next generation. That is an awesome gift with a better history- better still you got to hear the story of the piece instead of finding later and not knowing. Enjoy it- and sorry for your loss.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Focker
    edited April 2014

I agree with @Wolfpack.

Either leave the original patina or strip with lye, then remove the flash rust with Bar Keeper's Friend.  Get a nail, coat with USP mineral oil, and hang that proudly on the wall.

And find a Lodge griddle to use. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Congrats on a great family heirloom and I'm sure it will continue to serve you well. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• GeorgeS
    @Focher I joined up on a CI forum to try and find some more info, love to know the whole story! I haven't gotten anything on the mark yet but one guy was thinking 1870-1890 by the design. @Wolfpack thank you! I have asked that question on the CI forum and looked on line and it would appear that as long as the skillet is brought to temp slowly that it's not an issue. It seems that if it's brought up to temp too quickly that can be a problem. If I see too much info that points in the direction of possible issues I won't use it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Wolfpack said:
    That is really awesome- love family stuff. Not to be Debbie downer but does putting a family heirloom on the egg hurt it in anyway? Sorry but just want to make sure it is okay to pass to the next generation. That is an awesome gift with a better history- better still you got to hear the story of the piece instead of finding later and not knowing. Enjoy it- and sorry for your loss.
    I'd bet dollars to donuts that that piece has survived higher heat and abuse than a BGE can throw at it! Besides it has lasted all these years so if there were any cracks via inferior casting then that piece would have been trash years ago! My advice is clean it and use it and LOVE it like I think he already does! Using a heirloom is better than putting it "away"!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Awesome find!! I have my grandmother's CI skillet and I think she would kick my butt if I put it on the wall and didn't use it. Use that thing and enjoy it!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Wolfpack
    @GeorgeS‌ would definitely use it- that's what makes it special. Just double check that is doesn't damage it.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Had to send another post to get rid of the sign of the beast
    Greensboro, NC
  • Focker

@GeorgeS,

You have an heirloom piece.......a true collector piece.  This isn't what I would consider a user piece, just by age alone. 

A couple of days wandering antique stores and garage sales and you could easily find a suitable substitute. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Wolfpack
    @focker I agree if you are planning on selling but to me the beauty of family heirlooms is they get used by multiple generations. That is what gives it the history and meaning- I have a enfield rifle one of my relatives used in the war of northern aggression- unfortunately it isn't capable of firing anymore but would be really cool if every generation had fired. Although just my 2 cents and we all know what that is worth.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Focker
    edited April 2014

That's cool.  Just sayin there are other easily found alternatives, which perform identically.   

My grandma's #5 large logo Griswold may be worth only $30-40, but it stays on the wall. 

Another one of my grandma's #8 large logo Griswolds valued at only $50-60, stays up on my uncle's wall.  

The rifle is a good comparison.  Some historical firearms are not even worth taking the risk of firing, even if they are able.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited April 2014
    Some people buy a fancy sports car and park it in their garage to keep it pristine.  We call these cars Garage Queens.  Some people buy the same sports car and use it as their daily commute car to enjoy the fun of driving it as much as they can.  Nothing wrong with either choice, just a matter of personal preference.

If that CI pan came to me from my grandmother, I would likely use it whenever I wanted to.  If it was a nice set of china, I would only use it for special occasions.

Definitely clean it and season it.  But then decide for yourself if you want to only display it, or use it, or display it and use it.  My CI pan that came from my MIL is not as old as yours, but it hangs in my kitchen and gets used for the dishes I like to cook in it.  Fortunately for me, I didn't have to strip it when I received it, it just needed to be seasoned properly as my MIL was one of those people that washed it every time she used it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    and here all this time, Brandon, I just assumed you took your CI garage sale finds into work with you and had a fellow employee "look" at them for cracks using the in-house x-ray machine! Little do I know...LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    I do use my hands for percussion when checking for cracks out in the field. ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Well hell, hack the handle off and fire it up!!!!!!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Thats a pre 1900 pan. Guard it well. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GeorgeS
    @Focher no offense but I am not a hang it in the wall kind of guy and my grandmother would likely kick my butt if she could if I did hang it on the wall. It will get gently used.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Awesome!  I was so excited when I was given mine too.  Enjoy it. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Focker
    edited April 2014

None taken my friend.  I'm not a wallhanger type of guy either.  I have another identical #5 Griswold large logo that gets used in its place.  I have a problem, lol.

When CI collectors aren't even sure what you have, I doubt you will find another as special.  Would bet that griddle came all the way to your family, or with your family, via wooden boat.  Enjoy it.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2014

@Wolfpack,

By the pics, do you think this skillet has seen much use?  The finish should be jet black from the lard over the decades of family use.  Not unfinished, with areas of flash rust and thin, spotted seasoning.

Slight possibility of it being rode hard, and then stripped at some point? 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Erie used the anchor logo I think
    Boom
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GeorgeS
    Focker said:

@Wolfpack,

By the pics, do you think this skillet has seen much use?  The finish should be jet black from the lard over the decades of family use.  Not unfinished, with areas of flash rust and thin, spotted seasoning.

You are correct the entire pan was jet black. I had no choice but to strip it. It was stored on the bottom of an open cabinet and it was covered with pet fur. My Aunt and Father are/were both heavy smokers. It had a very strong smoke smell and the pet hair wouldn't wash off.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    GeorgeS said:

@Wolfpack,

You are correct the entire pan was jet black. I had no choice but to strip it. It was stored on the bottom of an open cabinet and it was covered with pet fur. My Aunt and Father are/were both heavy smokers. It had a very strong smoke smell and the pet hair wouldn't wash off.
    I had the same issue with my grandmother's Wagners. I still need to strip one. As soon as I start to heat it smells like grandma's house.
  • Focker
    edited April 2014

The spider logo is bada$$, a unicorn for sure.

Don't remember associating an anchor to ERIE?

(edit, after looking in Table 2 #2, I'll be damned.)

Thanks for the link, saved for reference.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2014
    GeorgeS said:

@Wolfpack,

I had the same issue with my grandmother's Wagners. I still need to strip one. As soon as I start to heat it smells like grandma's house.
    Soak it for a couple of weeks in lye and water.  Keep it out of reach for your little ones and pets.  A shelf in the garage is a good place.  I keep a lye bath continuously for items I may find.  You can get a lb of lye for $10-15.  Adjust concentration to your liking.  Super easy.  When I change out the carbon lye water, some gets put into a spray bottle as a weed killer.  Have thought about getting a pump sprayer for this.  Round Up is getting ridiculously expensive.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities