Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the egg (My newest method)

Okay I have been on a mission to find a way to light the egg in a way that satisfies me. I started out using the bge starter cubes. I didn't care for that method. I then tried a paper towel soaked in cooking oil. I didn't like that method either. I then tried rubbing alcohol. I thought I had a winner, but it never failed that if I was busy or in a hurry, (which is most of the time) I would light the lump and then come back and nothing was happening. I would have to try it again. It was almost a hit and miss thing. 

I was going to get a Looftlighter, but some of the reviews weren't good. It wasn't that they didn't work. It was that they didn't hold up or last very long. I guess I went with the poor mans Looftlighter because I purchased a heat gun. 

I think I have found my new method. It was awesome how fast I was lit and at temp. After I get home from work I am involved with the kids and studying and don't have a lot of time to grill during the week. When I used this heat gun on Monday night to cook ribeyes I was done in half or less than half the time. Now I can cook more during the week. 

I know a lot of guys don't mind the wait, but I don't have the time especially during the week so I am loving my heat gun! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited April 2014
    Interesting, I've never thought of using a heat gun. Have you tried a MAPP torch? I have been thinking about going that rout so I won't have to pull out the extension cord every time. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have never tried a MAPP torch. I thought about getting one, but I wanted to try the heat gun first. I know what you mean about the extension cord, but I grill on a porch right off of my garage, and I have a plug in close by. 

The plug in is co close I don't have to use an extension cord. I just plug it up, light it, and unplug it. Very quick, simple, and easy. 

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    makes it hassle free then. about how long do you have to hold the gun over the coals, and do you light a wide area or just the middle?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    I tried that in 2009, yes it works!  I'm using butane torch and Looftlighter in tandem these days though.
    canuckland
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Isn't a heat gun similar to a looft lighter? Would like to see some more info or a picture of what you are using.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Paper towels in oil, looft lighter, MAPP torch, etc etc are for pu$$y$. :)) image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    I use a weedburner.  2000 degrees gets it done and a propane tank is fairly portable.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I used a heat gun for about a year. Just don't lay it in there and get distracted. ..it'll smell like Royal Oak.

>:)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Harbor Freight weedburner gets the job done and is uberfun to scare the neighbors with. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    henapple said:

I used a heat gun for about a year. Just don't lay it in there and get distracted. ..it'll smell like Royal Oak.

>:)

Ouch that's gonna leave a mark. >:) image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I used to use the BGE electric starter but recently got a MAPP torch. I like the speed of lighting, the ability to light in a few places and the fact that no cords are needed. It has exceeded my expectations.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • My Looflighter works very well and has held up so far. Will get more heavy use when the snow clears. It takes about 2 minutes to get a low-and-slow amount of coals burning. When it was -20 outside, it worked fine but took ~3 minutes (which seems like a long time standing there in the dark cold).
  • I been wanting to try the electric element. But wasn't gonna spend 40$ on the BGE one. Academy sports had them for 9.99 just lit my XL in less than 10 mins to 400 degrees. Worked really well.
  • johnkitchens
    edited April 2014
    jls9595 said:
    makes it hassle free then. about how long do you have to hold the gun over the coals, and do you light a wide area or just the middle?
    I have only used it once so far, but it only took about a minute, and I had sparks and red coals. I lit it in the middle. My heat gun has a dial so at max it is 1,500 degrees and and min it feels like a hair dryer. 

After I got it going I dialed it down and backed it up about a foot or so and that is when the fire really gets going good.

All in all it probably took at most two to three minutes and I was done. I am using Rockwood so I can put my meat on almost immediately. 

It was really nice to be that fast on a weeknight. 

tulocay said:
    Isn't a heat gun similar to a looft lighter? Would like to see some more info or a picture of what you are using.
    Yes it does the same thing as a looftlighter. This is the exact one I purchased; http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC1500HG-1500-Watt-Heat-Gun/dp/B004Q04X44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397687018&sr=8-1&keywords=porter+cable+heat+gun

I like it!

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    I don't know about others but I have had my Looflighter for about a year and a half and use it about 3-4 times a week and I have never had a issue with mine! still the best way to light the Egg IMO!! 
    Brandon, MS
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    I have never used anything but a heat gun.  Specifically a cheap Ace Hardware label Heat gun.  I have glowing coals in 2 minutes.  Another minute and I have an inferno.  Works for me and I have shown others and they have switched to a heat gun.  
    Since it only takes 2-3 minutes not sure why you would sit it down,
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    What is the difference in the heat gun and a hair dryer? Does the heat actually help or is it the fan blowing?
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • johnkitchens
    The heat gun gets a lot hotter. I don't think you could start the lump with a hair dryer. The combination of the heat and the fan blowing is what gets the fire going. 

All it takes is a little fire and then the cooler air from the fan does the rest to "really" get it going. 

• Holepuncher
    So the heat gun gets hot enough to actually light the lump? Is that correct?
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • johnkitchens
    Yes that is correct. The air from the gun will light the lump in less than a minute. You just need to keep putting the air to it to really get it to going and to spread the flame.

• Holepuncher
    Thanks, it sounds like i may see one in my future.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • johnkitchens
    I think you will like it!

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Looftlighter for me and love it. Thus far holding up fine although I did melt the aluminum end in my lump, but still works like a charm. But when it dies it will get replaced w a cheaper heat gun....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • johnkitchens
    @flemster I had a Looftlighter in my shopping cart, but at the last minute I decided to go with the heat gun. 

The main reason for me was because it was about half the price but did the same job. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I guess I'm glad my life is Slow and Boring; the BGE cubes work fine for me; no propane, extension cords, lightsabres, and only $0.37 per light...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Rutland fire starters cut into quarters placed at 12-3-6-9. About $0.11 per light.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • johnkitchens
    Botch said:
    I guess I'm glad my life is Slow and Boring; the BGE cubes work fine for me; no propane, extension cords, lightsabres, and only $0.37 per light...
    My life is boring, but it isn't slow. Between working late, swmbo, and the kids I don't have a lot of time. Anything I can do to speed it up is what I want.  

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Botch said:
    My life is boring, but it isn't slow. Between working late, swmbo, and the kids I don't have a lot of time. Anything I can do to speed it up is what I want.  
    I like to slow things down so the cubes work great for me, but that is why I live at the beach
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Rub two Boy Scouts together!!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Botch said:

Start your fire first, then prep food, drink, whatever.  I let the egg warmup for at least an hour after I have reached targeted range, for everything I cook.  Preheating the ceramic and burning VOCs take some time.  There have been numerous posts recently on this issue.   

Lighting a fire and throwing your food on in 30 min really doesn't utilize advantages of the egg.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."