Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serving Pork Butt to 30 people tomorrow...couple questions.

Options
Tomorrow I am serving 30 people pulled pork to celebrate my son's baptism.  Had 2 8 lb butts on the XL Egg since 9 this morning.  Currently at 167 degrees.  Couple questions:

1.  I plan to FTC it for approx 6 hours....does this sound about right?
2.  It will need to be re-heated tomorrow mid-day after church...should we pull it, and then reheat?  Or vice-versa?
3.  Reheat in the oven or the grill?  And at what temp/approximate time?

Many thanks!
Parker
Dallas,TX

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Pull and sauce, foodsaver or ziplock and into the fridge. Tomorrow if possible, reheat the bags in simmering water and then serve.

Works great and tastes even better than right off the egg
  • Beanboy
    Beanboy Posts: 19
    Options
    So no FTC? Or pull after FTC?
    Dallas,TX
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I have done it without FTC. Turned out great
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sir I will offer what advice that I can. If you are serving it tomorrow the FTC serves no purpose or benefit to you. It's actually a waste of time for meats that you are cooking in advance to be served the next day. When cooking is complete go ahead and pull meat. The best way I have found to reheat precooked pulled pork is in a aluminum steam pan with a form fitted lid. Place the pulled pork in the pan add about a quarter to a half of cup of Carolina vinegar sauce or your sauce of choice or even water will work them seal lid tightly. Place pan in oven or smoker doesn't matter which as the meat is already cooked and you are only warming it. The liquid is for keeping the meat from drying out. I like to reheat between 250 & 275. As always this is just one way of doing it and it has worked very well for me over the years. I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    Pull it and refrigerate. When you want to reheat, add a small amount of water to your pan, cover with foil and stick it in the oven. That water will steam it and bring it back to life. Oven temp 350-400? Just cook until desired warmth. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I have had great results pulling the pork, putting into large plastic bag overnight in fridge, removing next day, putting into a crockpot to reheat, adding sauce, or not adding sauce. I have added a little bit of apple juice but not out of necessity, just to give the crock pot something to turn into vapor. 
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    FTC is for holding the meat when it is done too soon. No need to do it if you are serving it another day.

Since you have a good amount to serve I would propose pulling it soon after it reaches temperature, and placing in a couple rectangular cake pans. I use throwaway heavy duty foil pans with foil tops.

Then reheat, sealed, in a low oven at 250-275.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Use apple juice instead of water to keep it from drying out during the re heat.

Dearborn MI
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @RRP‌ uses coke. To warm up pork, not cocaine.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    I agree with @hapster. I pull mine and lightly sauce it and vacuum seal them and reheat in simmering water. Cant tell the difference