Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Pork Butts for Easter Weekend

Options
I was going to cook a bone in pork butt and Saturday to pulled pork temp, but now I am also doing a boneless pork butt too to sluced temp on Sunday. The question is should I do them both on Saturday or do two separate cooks. It may rain on Sunday, but want it to come right of the egg on both days. What are your thoughts?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I'd start them both Saturday and go overnight. You can always FTC until its time to eat. Just my .02.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    I was going to cook a bone in pork butt and Saturday to pulled pork temp, but now I am also doing a boneless pork butt too to sluced temp on Sunday. The question is should I do them both on Saturday or do two separate cooks. It may rain on Sunday, but want it to come right of the egg on both days. What are your thoughts?
    Rain doesn't stop an Egg!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,472
    Options
    You get more supervisory adult beverage time with two separate cooks... :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I guess I also get out of honey does for a while too. I think i will do two cooks. Next question, anyone used apple cider for injecting pork? We have some really good Honey Crisp cider out right now I was going to use and mix in some rib with it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    +1 on the apple cider injection. Go for it!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong or taboo about injecting certain cuts or sizes of meat. There are circumstances where it's your only hope of producing a superior product but that's a story for another thread. If you like the taste of the cider then by all means inject brother. good luck my friend .

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    my only problem with injecting any liquid into  a butt is from my experience it makes the stall longer so if you inject keep that in mind and allow for a longer stall time 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Slicing temp is lower than pulling temp. If you cook them together, take the butt you plan on slicing out first. I'm guessing at the slicing temp at 180 or so. I always cook my butt at 200-205 for pulling.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Slicing temp is lower than pulling temp. If you cook them together, take the butt you plan on slicing out first. I'm guessing at the slicing temp at 180 or so. I always cook my butt at 200-205 for pulling.
    You are correct the slicing temp is 180 to 185 and that's what I would do if I cook them together, but I think it is more fun to have two days to play with the egg all day instead of one.  I may through some other things on with it wen I cook, not sure yet on those items.  Thanks for the advice.

Kansas City, Mo.