Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help please with a Maverick ET-732

Actually I have two. Both have fresh batteries, I'm doing my first smoke of the year, two Baby Backs and a small pork butt. I have a large BGE.

With both of these, immediately showed the pork butt at 275º, and the egg at 100º. The meat should be at the most 80º, and the temp on the egg shows 300º.

This weird readings are from both Mavericks.

Any idea, they did great last September

Moderators, please move if this is the forum.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Try turning one set off, perhaps they are interfering with each other?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    are your probes in the correct port?
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Might not be calibrated. The 300 and 275 differential is no big deal. Make sure the food probe is in the center and not near any heat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Just read it again. ..sorry. sounds like the probes are switched. Long in the meat. .short on the grid?
  • Acorn
    That's Right, good luck
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • atbarr
    atbarr Posts: 26
    Thanks guys but no. I made sure the probes are correct. I tried both monitors, they both gave weird readings. At least I'm cooking two of the most simple items.

How do I calibrate them? I've never done that. :)
  • Acorn
    Me neither, mine have just always worked. Somebody will let us know then we can both do it.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • atbarr
    DMW said:
    Try turning one set off, perhaps they are interfering with each other?
    Yeah, I did that.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited April 2014
    Switched probes happened to me with a 732 & my old ET-72.
    Stuck probe into meat, (just outta the fridge) plugged into the 732... meat read 108*.
    WTF??? No way!?! :-O
    Then I noticed I had the ET-72 probe plugged into the 732. Duh....
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • atbarr
    edited April 2014
    I switched out the probes, same thing. So, I ordered the Cooper-Atkins DPP400W-0-8 Digital Pocket Test Thermometer from Amazon. It has a 5 year warranty, much better than 90 days. :)

No more Mavericks!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    Turn everything off. 
    For the 732 try only the pit probe. It is on the left of the 732 transmitter. Make sure it is really pushed in. (Assume it was, it usually reads LLL or HHH if not, you were getting temps, albeit wrong ones)
    Turn on the receiver. Then turn on the transmitter with the probe at room temp. Is it close to correct? If so put this in the egg and see if it still reads close to dome, maybe 25-50º lower is in the ballpark. If not, you are hosed. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • atbarr
  • henapple
    I hate the maverick. ..great idea. Piece of ****. There'll be those that disagree.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    I've had issues with the maverick losing signal and going blank. I had it happen as often as 10 minutes, even only about 30ft away from the grill. I'm looking into thermoworks wireless probe. I love the thermopen and the wife got be the IR for Christmas. Any other complaints on this???
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • DMW
    henapple said:
    I hate the maverick. ..great idea. Piece of ****. There'll be those that disagree.
    My pit probe just failed, reading LLL. Right after I put a picnic shoulder on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • atbarr
    I ordered a RT600C Super-fast Water-resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer by ThermoWorks.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I've had issues if the 1/8 inch phono plug gets dirty. Lick her clean and try again? How many times have I said that....
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • DMW
    I've had issues if the 1/8 inch phono plug gets dirty. Lick her clean and try again? How many times have I said that....
    Yeah, I cleaned the plug on mine, and swapped the food and pit probes, problem stayed with the probe, so it's not the jack. I just hooked up the PartyQ and I'll let it keep the temp overnight.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I got replacement probes from maverick - great customer service. Now I leave it out in the rain all the time. Still on the original batteries. Couldn't be happier with it.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I need to get new probes and I'm hoping they'll be okay... That said, I've done a few cooks without.

Go old school and trust in the force.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    It sure is nice to know the grid temps tho, as the dome temps normally 25 to 50 degrees higher.

:)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ