Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone have a BGE Chimnea

Beer-n-Eggs
Beer-n-Eggs Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone got or used a BGE chimnea that can tell me about it in regards to whether it's worth the dough?[p]Also, they sell the tripod short stand for it but the Main Store in Tucker, GA, right up the road from me kinda, says they sell most of them with the legs for the large egg rather than the tripod stand and that people like this more. Any thoughts or experiences?[p]Thanks!
Buster[p]

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Beer-n-Eggs,
    We have one and love it...it is in the large nest which I would recommend, otherwise it would be almost sitting on the ground. It radiates heat very well but you feel a noticable increase in heat when you sit in front of the opening. We burn it quite regularly when it`s colder outside and it makes a welcome conversation area when having friends over. Ours is totally out in the elements year round and it is fine being unprotected..you can see a couple of pics of ours in the tips section of my website...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • OK, i saw your pics. I like it. Now I said Large nest and you said you had a large nest but in the archives I read using a medium nest. Is your a large or a medium nest?[p]Also, does the spark screen on the front of yours come with it or is that extra?[p]What size (length and diamter) wood do you generally burn in it?[p]Thanks Wess!
    Buster

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Beer-n-Eggs,
    The Large nest is the one that fits it. The screen in front and the screen on top both come with it.[p]Sorry I'm not Wess...lol, but I hope that helps a little.

• Bobby-Q,[p]Cool, I just called the main factory store in Tucker, GA again which is 85 miles north of me and they have some in stock. So, I'm dispatching my brother in law that lives in that area there to pick me one up with the large nest. He's in route now. What sux is now he's gonna be cruising around with my newest addition and it will be a few days before I can meet up with him and get it. My local store said it would take them about 3 weeks to get it with their next order. I'm way to impatient for that.[p]Thanks for your input.
    Buster

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Buster, [p]Some cool things about the chiminea are the fact that you can allow it to get really hot without worrying about it cracking. You can also take the chimney off it and cook on it using the grill from a mini. I think that they may come with them now. I got mine so long ago that it didn't come with a stand, screen or grill.[p]Caution: Unlike the BGEs, you can burn yourself badly if you touch it. My husband has the scar to prove it.[p]Julie

• J Appledog,[p]Thanks Julie. I'm gonna get one today. The chimnea basically jst comes with a screen for the front and a screen to go in between the base and the stack. Wheels for the large egg or the tripod stand are extra as is the cooking grid. [p]Out of curiosity, what would you cook on this. Not sure I;'ve ever cooked without a lid to cover during the cook.[p]Thanks!
    Buster

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Beer-n-Eggs,[p]We have had one for a couple years now. We dont think much of it, and its not worth the cost. The opening is on one side and to enjoy the fire you must sit directly in front of it. Other patio fireplaces are open on all sides which is better for a group of people to enjoy the fire and heat.[p]Ours also sits in the large nest which is nice.[p]