Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Liquid Diet. HELP!!!! Soup Recipes Please

I had my wisdom teeth yanked out and now I’m on a liquid diet for two weeks.  Does anyone have any good soup recipes?  They need to be creamy or at least not too chunky.

Today I survived on Griffin's Cream of Jalapeno soup.  It beat the hell out of the boxed "Organic" crap I ate yesterday.  Thanks @Griffin.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2014

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I've been drinking bouthouse or odwalla shakes as a meal replacement. Some better than others
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Go buy a vitamix and make your own. I is crazy simple to make different soups in a vitamix. Also they come with a recipe book with different ones. You may be able to search the net for vitamix recipes and find something you like.
  • Carolina Q
    You should take a look at Foodgawker. Scroll through page after page, find a pic of something that looks appetizing and click on it to get the recipe. Pretty decent searches too. I searched for "creamy soup"... 1700+ recipes!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    What the hell did that dentist do to you? I had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed and was able to eat regular food in a day or two... this was 20+ years ago.

While you're sipping your soups, I would be looking for an attorney to speak with...

Good luck... sorry you are in such bad shape
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I like butternut squash soup, its really thin. Lots of different recipes out there, just google it amd pick one that sounds good to you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    +1 on that. You can fancy it up a little by adding heavy cream and a bit of nutmeg. Voila, Vichyssoise.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    When MDSH broke his jaw and was wired up for 6 weeks his favorite straw food was chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes and gravy in the food processor. Just a thought. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You can also just grab some Ensure. 2 per meal for a 2K cal diet.
  • Eggcelsior
    hapster said:

What the hell did that dentist do to you? I had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed and was able to eat regular food in a day or two... this was 20+ years ago.

While you're sipping your soups, I would be looking for an attorney to speak with...

Good luck... sorry you are in such bad shape

Everyone's anatomy is a little different. 7-14 post surgery is standard for dental surgery. If you are eating a couple days after that's negligent. Tooth abscesses can kill you.
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have a case of Ensure from Costco and it is pretty good.  That is what I’m “eating” for breakfast.  @Carolina Q, I’ll give the potato and leek soup a try, sounds good.

@hapster, the procedure actually went well and I’m doing good with little pain.  They said not to eat normal foods because they don’t want it to get stuck in the vacated hole and get infected.  Probably more CYA on their part.

@nolaegghead, they also said not to drink alcohol for two weeks but I’m sure they were just joking about that part.  :-?

@GrannyX4, I’m not that desperate…… yet.  Hell, I’ll probably be blending up brisket shakes in a few days.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Was also told to not drink from a straw after dental surgery. Something about the suctionaction pulling on the wound.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    RV10Flyer said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have a case of Ensure from Costco and it is pretty good.  That is what I’m “eating” for breakfast.  @Carolina Q, I’ll give the potato and leek soup a try, sounds good.

@hapster, the procedure actually went well and I’m doing good with little pain.  They said not to eat normal foods because they don’t want it to get stuck in the vacated hole and get infected.  Probably more CYA on their part.

@nolaegghead, they also said not to drink alcohol for two weeks but I’m sure they were just joking about that part.  :-?

@GrannyX4, I’m not that desperate…… yet.  Hell, I’ll probably be blending up brisket shakes in a few days.

I'm glad you like Insure. I got it thrown back at me. Now don't poo-poo the chicken nuggets and gravy. We had a friend who broke his jaw also and put off giving it a go and it turned out to be his favorite. Not everything purées as you think it should. I know your pain and hope you heal quickly. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • RV10Flyer
    Was also told to not drink from a straw after dental surgery. Something about the suctionaction pulling on the wound.

Somewhat ironic that you can’t use a straw while on a liquid diet but yes, that is one of the forbidden items/actions.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Eggcelsior
    Are they having you avoid really sugary drinks as well? This can increase the risk of infection as well.

When I had 7 teeth pulled(6 impacted) prior to braces, I was on salt water rinses and chicken broth for 1 week and then mashed potatoes the next. The sutures sucked.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    One scoop whey protein powder
    Banana
    I small strawberry yogurt
    Scoop of peanut butter
    Ice
    Water
    Blend
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Here's another one. Just watched Laura Calder make this. Never had it, but it looked pretty good! So did Laura. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    I'm not really looking for these any more. They are just finding me!! :) Was just over at Serious Eats and found these. Most of the 18 soups are creamy.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RV10Flyer

@Eggceslsior they did not mention sugary drinks.  This may be different than Coke-like drinks but they did suggest eating Wendy's Frostys.

I’ll give that a try henapple, especially since I have the ingredients at the house.

@GrannyX4 The more I think about it the better it sounds.  I could go for some KFC chicken, mash taters, and gravy.

Thanks Carolina Q, the more choices the better.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    A few years back my daughter had lower jaw alignment surgery and was on a liquid diet for a month. We did a google search for liquid diet recipes. Basically, you can blend most everything you normally eat (with a good blender). We learned how to do liquid pizza, enchiladas, etc. Visually appealing?...No but it tasted like what it was. Beats soup for 2 weeks.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    When I was a little kid, about 1 hour into summer vacation after 1st grade, my brother's knee connected with my face when he jumped into the pool. Broke my jaw in two places. Six weeks with a jaw wired shut. Lots of soup, ice cream, jello, shakes (with raw eggs added in but not to my knowledge). I think my favorite thing to eat, and this might sound gross, was chicken a la king pureed up in a blender. Sorry to hear that you are going through a bad time. Glad you liked the soup. How hot was it and how many jalapenos did you use?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RV10Flyer

Chicken al king, interesting.  At this point, I'm not ruling out any blended combo.  I found a local Asian place that has great hot and sour soup which is an easy and fast option for lunch.

I used 4 Jalapenos and left the seeds in two of them.  The soup was very mild.  My wife is not into hot food like I am and she had no problems eating it.  I think sautéing the jalapenos help mellow them. 

North Texas

XL and Small BGE