Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Hey Southerners! What's Up With Grits?

Options
2»

Comments

• Troglodyte
    Troglodyte Posts: 104
    Options
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Grits can be yellow or white depending (obviously) on the colour of the corn (see what I did there?)

I see lots of stuff on the web that says they are the same thing and can be used interchangeably in recipes. I've never used polenta so I'm just going by what I've read.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Polenta is yellow and grits are white no?
    Both made from ground corn, I think originally polenta was made with a wheat base but may be blowing smoke there. We get polenta at the local Safeway, comes in a non-refridgerated 2Kg chub, packed like ground beef. It needs lots of stuff to make it taste like anything. 
    Don't know why they are different colours...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    +1 on Shrimp and Cheese Grits.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Stupid Canadian. ..grits are for southerners
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    When I cook grits I use chicken broth instead if water. I don't know if that is the proper way or not. I'm a Northerner and never cooked or ate grits until about 3 years ago. Shrimp and grits are now a favorite of ours. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    I like my G.R.I.T.S firm and tasty...

Girls Raised In The South, right?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• henapple
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ ...regional culinary fail?

Frankenmuth "fried chicken". I didn't know Swanson frozen meals had a restaurant.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I had grits for the first time in December in Houston (Embassy Suites Houston Dtwn) and they were great!  Almost had a corn flavour - would like to try and make them someday.  

Also, off topic, had some Mexican food (forget restaurant name but it was downtown near a bowling alley) and never knew it could taste so good!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The instant grits are definitely the problem. That's like not getting the big deal about hamburgers because McD's tastes meh. 

Re: what goes well with grits, the world is your oyster. I eat grits every morning for breakfast and usually mix in a bit of leftovers (usually Indian food) in it - chicken curry, fish curry, shrimp curry, goat curry,  dal, veg, you name it (Bubba Gump mod) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Zmokin said:

I had grits once in Biloxi.  Don't care for them.  Tasted like soft sand.

You had crappy grits.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Lots of sugar and butter. Most are appalled when they see me cover them in sugar. Definitely not from the South. In fact, I never even heard of grits until I went to basic training.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • henapple
    Options
    caliking said:

The instant grits are definitely the problem. That's like not getting the big deal about hamburgers because McD's tastes meh. 

Re: what goes well with grits, the world is your oyster. I eat grits every morning for breakfast and usually mix in a bit of leftovers (usually Indian food) in it - chicken curry, fish curry, shrimp curry, goat curry,  dal, veg, you name it (Bubba Gump mod) 
    I was going to say something but would have been deemed ...we'll let's just say, off color
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's what's up with G.R.I.T.S.
    8->
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ ...regional culinary fail? Frankenmuth "fried chicken". I didn't know Swanson frozen meals had a restaurant.
    Frankenmuth chicken dinners are something that would disappoint me if it came off my egg.  I've never been a fan of anything that boasts it's "world famous".  It's like Will Farrell in Elf who gets excited about "The World's Best Cup of Coffee." 
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @henapple - you must not have been deep enough in the Woodford if your filter was still working :D . PM next time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.