Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Stir Fry

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Weather got nasty, winter wasn't done with us yet, so I did this inside on the stove. I'm hooked.
Which leads me to...
Which size wok should I get for an XL? I take it the Spider is the way to go to setup for wokking on the Egg? Any recommendations on woks?

Thanks,image
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I use a 14" or a 16" for my large.  For the Xlrg I believe an 18/20 works well but have never had an xlarge. Here are some wok wamblings.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I don't use the egg for wok cooks. I use my old Weber chimney starter with a wok ring stuck on top. That way I can use any size wok I want (in my case, 13-16"... this is a paper thin 13" CI).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options

I don't use the egg for wok cooks. I use my old Weber chimney starter with a wok ring stuck on top. That way I can use any size wok I want (in my case, 13-16"... this is a paper thin 13" CI).

I will IM you my addy since I have no clue what you use your egg for! Ship it my way! :P

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    Options
    I use a 14" or a 16" for my large.  For the Xlrg I believe an 18/20 works well but have never had an xlarge. Here are some wok wamblings.
    Thanks Richard, your comments in the post you linked to are a wealth of information, bookmarked.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Cazzy, not everyone lights their eggs with Franklins. :P 

You can do alot of wok cooks on a chimney with an 8lb bag of lump. Maybe 3 or 4 cooks with a spider in a large egg with the same bag. Ceramic isn't bringing anything to the table here.

For wok size, IMHO, anything larger than 16" is a waste.  The more items and mass you add, the lower the temp drops when stir frying.  Wok hei quickly becomes high heat sauteing. 

Anymore, I use my 12" wok on the small, and cook each person's dish hot and fast. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    Options
    @Focker and @Carolina_Q Couple questions for you in regards to the chimney. 

Does the diameter of the chimney limit the practical wok size? I'd like to go big. But if I can purchase the wok now and wait on the spider I might do that. I already have the chimney and a dutch oven camp table I could use to get it up off the ground. Definitely won't be doing that on the deck...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Carolina Q
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I will IM you my addy since I have no clue what you use your egg for! Ship it my way! :P
    Bring it on, man. 

Just spatched an awesome chicken on the egg a few days ago. And a turbo butt a couple of days after that. Some cooks are worth the bother. Some are not. You will learn this... as you get beyond puberty. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited March 2014
    Options
    DMW said:

Does the diameter of the chimney limit the practical wok size? I'd like to go big. But if I can purchase the wok now and wait on the spider I might do that. I already have the chimney and a dutch oven camp table I could use to get it up off the ground. Definitely won't be doing that on the deck...
    I have used my 16" wok on the Weber chimney starter.  That would be as big as I would go.  

In all seriousness, be careful.  I used my old kettle as the base, and a welder's glove on the nondominant hand to hold the wok while stir frying.  It is not a stable setup, but works if you take precautions.  My 12" wok is a Pao wok, which I prefer on the chimney.  With a Pao wok, you stir fry similar to pan flipping, with no need for utensils.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options
    DMW said:

DMW, I'm sure it does. I rarely use anything larger than a 14" and lately, almost exclusively the 13" CI. 14" was plenty when I had a family of four to feed. When I used the wok on the egg, I put it directly on the lump, no spider required (though I'm sure I must have tried it).

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options

cazzy said:

Bring it on, man. 

Just spatched an awesome chicken on the egg a few days ago. And a turbo butt a couple of days after that. Some cooks are worth the bother. Some are not. You will learn this... as you get beyond puberty. 

Don't be so sensitive Mike....I'm just busting your old saggy balls! :P Really though, there are a lot of things that it isn't worth the time to get the egg going for. The main one for me is steaks..

FYI...I eagerly await for my balls to drop. :D

• cazzy
    Options
    FWIW...the chimney idea is pretty cool. ;)
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I saw ceramicgrillstore.com lists a 19" wok as working on the XL with spider. I'd like to go as big as possible since I have a family of 5 and we entertain frequently.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Focker
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Recently purchased Weber's rapid fire chimney starter which is smaller than the original, designed for Minion method startups on the kettle and WSM.  Will give it a try when the weather warms up with the 12" wok, reducing lump even further. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    Options
    Hmmm...just started visualizing (with the help of a tape measure) a 19" wok. That seems like a bit of a monster. Now I've been reading wokology 101 at The Wok Shop and I can't decide what I want...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Focker
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @DMW,

Buy and read this book first, a true gem.

Grace goes into great detail about wok types in region, materials, culture, technique, recipes etc.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options
    DMW said:
    19"...seems like a bit of a monster. 
    Ya think?!  :) 14" was more than enough for my family of 4. They are dirt cheap - buy a smaller wok and if it's not enough, you can always get larger one. I think I paid about $12-13 for each of mine (13/14/16")

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    DMW... and just because you have an XL doesn't mean you have to buy an XL sized wok. Or that you have to use the XL for that matter.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited March 2014
    Options
    DMW said:
    Thanks for all the info. I saw ceramicgrillstore.com lists a 19" wok as working on the XL with spider. I'd like to go as big as possible since I have a family of 5 and we entertain frequently.

With a 16" wok and a family of your size, I would split it into two cooks.  Everything is mis en place, so you would halve everything.  A stir fry cook averages a few min, and the first cook will still be hot by the time the second one is done.  With carbon steel, little time is wasted heating the wok for the second batch.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    Options
    @Focker‌ Thanks, just ordered Breath of a Wok. I'll wait to order gear until I get the book.

@Carolina Q‌ Understand I can go smaller and don't need to fill the space of the XL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Focker
    Options
    No problem, you will enjoy the book.  It is one of my favorites, right up there with Serious Barbecue by APL. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• cazzy
    Options
    Good to see you over here contributing @Focker
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks cazzy
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ahhh shrimp. Bout that time to hit up my guy down the road for some fresh Atlantic Mayport jumbo shrimp. Then a little Jimmy Buffett in the background some cold Corona and Key Lime and I'm set. @DMW‌ that looks like some crazy good eating! ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    That shrimp stir fry looks great!  Not sure about the XL, but for my Large I use a 16" carbon steel wok with metal handles from The Wok Store in San Fran.  Ordered it online with their utensils - awesome product.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited March 2014
    Options
    *correction . . . store is called "The Wok Shop" in San Fran - www.wokshop.com 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I have a 20" from the Wok Shop for usage in my XL:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I don't get to use it often as I normally cook for 2-4 but it was great for cooking at an a Eggfest.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    i have a 14 spun with long metal handle and a 16 hand hammered with the hoop handles. i much prefer the 14 and the long handle. if your near a large city find the asian restaurant supply place, in downtown boston i bought both woks for a grand total of 22 dollars. my stove has a wok burner on it and i use it almost every day from eggs to stiry, deepfrying, rice reheats. this week its been smoked ham with barley and beans made from a ham cook last weekend, reheated for lunches
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    Options
    Call the Wok Shop.  They are very informed and can advise.  I have a 14" carbon steel which feeds family of four easily.  The XL can handle a much bigger size.  Maybe you need more that one wok?  Also, I wish mine had a handle, but it would have to be metal as the flames would burn wooden ones.
  • DMW
    Options
    Call the Wok Shop.  They are very informed and can advise.  I have a 14" carbon steel which feeds family of four easily.  The XL can handle a much bigger size.  Maybe you need more that one wok?  Also, I wish mine had a handle, but it would have to be metal as the flames would burn wooden ones.
    Thanks @khristyjeff I'm starting to think 2 woks might be the end result, a 14" for just the family, and a larger one for when we have guests. I could also use the 14" inside on the gas stove if needed.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    We wok practically every day/meal on the kitchen gas stove, will go broke on lump charcoal if done on eggs!  Thanks to the 900 CFM exhaust, the backsplash tiles of our 9-month old kitchen is still smooth (i.e. not sticky with grease) like new!
    canuckland