Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jumped in with two feet. Frst cooks going to be a spatchcock. Any suggestions?

Options
Hi all. So, I'm recently addicted just by reading. My XLBGE demo is already bought to pick up from the PNW Fest in June. Not wanting to wait, I got a Kamado Joe Jr. in the interium (mini seemed too small, small seemed too big, didn't want to wait for the mine-max.) Please don't judge. :) In any case, I'm thnking that the most forgiving first cook will be a spatchcocked chicken...am I right? If so, I'd love to hear your favorite spatchcock recipes/temps. Thanks in advance, Sandy
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    1st off I'm very jealous. I've done several with many different rubs. Since discovering micky's coffee rub I have stuck with it. I'm in the camp of brining birds just because I usually have the time but I don't think it's necessary in a ceramic cooker. Try to get some rub (whichever you decide) under the skin. 1 more thing, make sure you let the VOC burn off. Poultry soaks up smoke like a sponge.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Congrats!  A spatchcock chicken is a great first cook.   I think the KJ deflector allows you to raise the grid with direct heat (leave out the pizza stone).  That is the most popular method.  Get the egg (or kamado) to about 350-400 degrees, raised direct, cook about 45 minutes to an hour until the internal temp is 160 in the breast and 180 in the thigh.   Cook it skin side up...if you like you can flip it skin side down a little while but most people don't bother.  

I usually rub some olive oil on the skin and then hit it with some kind of seasoning depending on my mood and what I have on hand.  I usually lean towards a basic garlic and herb seasoning.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    +1 on raising the grid, direct heat. I usually do 350-400 degrees too, but recently someone posted an image of their chicken that looked amazing - they said they cooked it at 450 degrees for slightly less time until internal temp was 160 in the breast. Pick a favorite rub and give it a go! Pics or it didn't happen!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,464
    Options
    Welcome aboard and what follows is a great reference site for all things ceramic (including spatchcock chix): http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  Give a good look as it will likely answer several of your initial questions/concerns.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lombard
    lombard Posts: 23
    Options
    I've done several spatchcocks on my LBGE.  Every one of them turned out great....a few of my own recommendations:

I usually do them over direct heat, not necessarily elevated, at around 350° dome.

I highly recommend a brine (add some additional flavors, not just sugar and salt).  Not really necessary to keep the meat moist, but it does get some additional flavor deeper in to the bird.

As previously mentioned, careful about the smoke levels.  Poultry absorbs it like a sponge.

That being said, I cooked one last night.  Did it indirect, 300°-350° until the breast hit 155°.  Took about an hour and 20 minutes for a 4lb bird.  I threw 5 decent chunks (1" diameter, 1.5" long) of peach wood on there.  Had an aluminum tray with some red potatos and green beans sitting under the bird on the plate setter.  It was a last minute decision, so I didn't get a chance to brine it.  Overall, wasn't bad.  Not a lot of additional flavor deep in the meat and the smoke flavor was pretty strong.  Not my best showing, but got no complaints...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Good luck. 
    Raised direct, calibrated dome temp around 350º on a stabile grill with clear smoke. If you like crispy skin, leave the bird in the fridge, open to air with a light dusting of corn starch or baking powder (or mixed 50/50) for five or six hours. This will dry the skin a bit. Put your chosen rub on a couple of hours before you hit the grid. Grill bone side down for maybe 40 minutes, flip for last 10-20 minutes if you want more colour in the skin. Trim any excess vent fat, it will drip and can add an acrid taste. Indirect this is not an issue, but the skin will not crisp as fast or at all, on an indirect cook
    Suggest you brine only chickens you know have not already been brined - Foster Farms is already "moisture improved". Coleman Organics will benefit from a short brining if you are into that sort of thing.
    I sometimes rub each side of the bird with different rubs, opportunity to try two different rubs at the same time.  
    Suggest you do not use any smoke wood - just the lump, poultry will really take on smoke. On later cooks, cherry and pecan add great colour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    Welcome to the BGE Nation! There are tons of Eggheads here that can help you with any questions. Check out BigGreenCraig.com for some unique ideas! 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,589
    Options
    You seem to have all the temps and height sorted out...My favorite is a Peri- Peri Spatch. I use Nando's or DiChickO's Garlic Peri-Peri...It is a Sauce so I only baste in the last 1/2 hour of cook. It is the bomb..Tear the chicken apart and eat on Portuguese rolls, with a little more of the sauce..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'd go raised direct at 400° - 450° for 30 - 40 minutes to breast IT 160° / 180 ° thigh IT, no need to flip.

Prep: Trim excess fat so to minimize flare-ups and grease smoke, a quick rinse in water and pat dry will get great crispy skin (no need for oil).

+1 on letting VOCs burn before cooking chicken
    +1 on no need to brine for moist juicy chicken on BGE

Use your favorite rub; I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about Mickey’s Coffee Rub lately, which I a quick search on the forum got me the following: 

Mickey’s Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork):
    1 part: Instant Espresso ground coffee 
    1 part: Brown (or turbinado) sugar  
    ½ part: Black Pepper 
    ½ part: Kosher Salt 
    ½ part: Garlic Powder 
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder 

Can you confirm @Mickey

XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Spatchcock is good for a first, pulled pork (butt) is even more forgiving.  350 indirect until it's ready to come off - about 5 hours.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.