Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster

Has anyone else tried grilling lobster? I'd be interested in hearing some techniques. Here is my latest attempt:

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    When Bobby Flaw does it (har! that typo was unintentional but it stays!) he boiled it first, split them in half as you have, and then just kissed them with smoke to finish them.  

I haven't tried that, I did it split and totally on the grill as it looks like you did, but I wonder if that dried it out a bit (nothing a pound of melted butter can't fix...)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Oh, I used plenty of clarified butter. I cooked it meat side down just long enough to sear that side, then flipped and basted it with butter several times until cooked through. I also cracked the claws so I could get a little "grill" & butter flavor on them. 

***CAUTION: Careful when you baste with butter. It will most likely flare up***

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have only done tails, and I used pretty much that exact method.  Meat side down, finish in the shell with plenty of butter.  I just used melted butter and I mixed in some Jubilee seafood seasoning (made by Bad Byron's - great stuff!).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

Only addition to mine that i've used....

Creole Seasoning & boat loads of butter

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I also have done just the tails, split in half, meat side down to get the grill marks, then flip to finish.
    I used a spray butter (margarine) and a salmon rub on them, before grilling, then served with clarified butter.

Oh yeah, and a T-bone for a proper surf 'n' turf
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• I do it all the time.melt butter and garlic power together and bast med heat 20 min. R so
  • This was popular on the old forum for a while. Personally I prefer steamed.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1097819&catid=1

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Butter and lemon makes a nice dipping sauce.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    This strikes me as strange when there are fewer lobster posts than just about anything else (meat that is).
    Personally, I agree with @LittleSteven.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I first had grilled lobster tails when my wife were on our honeymoon in Cacun back in 2006 and thats about the only way I will eat it now. I am thinking of doing some tails and scallops soon, but not sure to go direct or indirect.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • I first had grilled lobster tails when my wife were on our honeymoon in Cacun back in 2006 and thats about the only way I will eat it now. I am thinking of doing some tails and scallops soon, but not sure to go direct or indirect.
    I cooked mine direct. I seared the meat side first, flipped and basted them with clarified butter until done.