Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Hog Head Results (and Pics)

Following up on my thread from a few days back, decided to keep it pretty simple with the hog head. Rubbed the back (exposed) part of the head with my standard butt rub, gave the rest of the head a light coating of oil and good dusting of salt, some cayenne, and a little bit of standard rub. Basted it every few hours with a mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar. Indirect, 275 dome til it was falling apart. In total, took about 8 or 9 hours. The cheek was measuring about 196, for what it's worth. 

Overall, it was delicious. Some areas of skin were a little tough, but the meat pulled easily off the bone and was really delicious. Took some time to find all the meat, but it's got a lot of variety. Lots of great cheek meet, jowls, and tongue. And the ears were crispy and delicious. It was good enough that I'll do it again at some point. Definitely a unique cook.

Rubbed and ready to go on the egg

Sweet dreams, little buddy!

Probably 2-3 hours in. Foiled the snout and ears at this point

The finished product

plated with brussels sprouts

The skull of success

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    This. Is. Awesome.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I will be doing this. Where did you get the head? Custom butcher?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    I got it from a butcher shop as I was passing through Austin.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    That is pretty neat.  Heard of it but never seen it done.  Great job!!!
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Some future avatars in your post...  :))

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Outstanding!! I love it even though it would never ever ever ever fly at my house :((

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Oh wow!! That looks so creepy and delicious all at the same time.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Beautiful and bizarre. I don't think I would be up to doing such an item. The most unique cook I've seen here.

You can use the carcass for stock!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    My wife would flip. Will have to plan a guys night I guess... How much did you pay for the head?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The finished meat looks a lot like butt. I think I'll stick with that. The head just looks, well, grotesque.

And served with Brussels sprouts? 
    =))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Never seen that before. Thanks
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • EggAg99
    EggAg99 Posts: 21
    Haven't posted in a long time or much ever to be honest. But this causes me to log in. This post rivals Hapster
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very good post. I have been wanting to try just that. Very good photos. Now I don't think I will. Really, thank you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mickey said:
    Now I don't think I will.

=)=)) :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    bclarksicle please don't take what I said the wrong way. I am saying your post was so good now I don't have to try it. I have to sleep tonight thinking about it, but a whole different problem.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bclarksicle
    edited March 2014
    Ha, not too many nose to tail eaters on here, huh? You're missing out.
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Can't outdo that cook. simply amazing you would even try it.  My hat is off to you sir, for your bravery and to go where most men will not!  BRAVO!!!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Macabre, but **** awesome!! Bravo!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fantastic. Great work. Who ate the eyeballs?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bclarksicle

Fantastic. Great work. Who ate the eyeballs?

They didn't appear to be in edible shape after the cook. I was a little bummed.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503

Not true... I love scrapple and hotdogs :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hogs heads are great cooks.

I did one maybe 2 years ago. I have medium Eggs, and getting the head to fit was difficult. The head was sitting in the drip pan, and enough fat rendered that I had to spoon it out so it didn't overflow. Towards the end, even tho' the dome read just 210, the head was cooking in its own simmering fat. Didn't really know where to probe to take the temperature, but when I saw bubbles and steam coming out the hole between the eyes, I figured it was done.

My wife was initially grossed out by the project, and would not look at the head till I removed the eyes. But when I brought it into the house, the aroma was like cooked bacon times ten. Between me, the wife, and my son, all the easy to get meat, such as the cheeks, was gone in less than 10 min. It was the most sumptuous pork I had ever had, and as my son finished off his third plate, he remarked "This is what steak aspires to be!"

I got it from a special butcher shop. It was certainly fresh, as the markings on the package from the farm indicated the head was set aside for me the day after I ordered it. I'm sure the pig was very high quality, but from what I've read, it would have cost half as much in a larger city. Like bclarcksicle, I too picked every morsel of meat of the skull. I've since found a butcher that will sell me a case of cheeks, so I'll probably get some of those this summer.

• Was thinking of doing a ham for Easter but may just go this route instead!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited March 2014
    Was thinking of doing a ham for Easter but may just go this route instead!
    how about several bunny heads =))
    All in jest my friend. But I was wanting to try that till his post......

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited March 2014
    Mickey said:
    Was thinking of doing a ham for Easter but may just go this route instead!
    how about several bunny heads =))
    All in jest my friend. But I was wanting to try that till his post......
    I can't even get Mrs. TOTN to let me use rabbit in paella and, when I showed her the pics at the top of this thread, my Easter cook idea was quickly shot down. Not to mention the fact that my in-laws would probably never come to eat with us again if I brought a hog's head in from the egg!

Needless to say, we're back to ham! :D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    No offence, but I could not do that.  I'm sure it was good.  I will stick to hot dogs cause they don't look at you while you eat them.
  • bclarksicle
    brentsee said:
    No offence, but I could not do that.  I'm sure it was good.  I will stick to hot dogs cause they don't look at you while you eat them.
    I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I suppose it's a matter of personal preference and perhaps culture. We have good friends that are from India, and vegetarians. Nothing is more "macabre" or disgusting to them than seeing a giant stack of rib bones.  Or eating the hind quarter of a pig. To us, it's just good eating. 

Hog head is more common in some Latin and South American cultures...you can even find whole hog head at some Mexican grocery stores.

Obviously a full head is more recognizable as an animal than a rack of ribs is. I get it. But if you can get past that, you realize how great the meat is. The fat was similar to bacon fat, and the head had both a light and dark meat. Some tasted more like pork butt, some even had a brisket-like texture. 

Also, you can get great value. I paid $25 for the 15 pound head. My family of 5 ate all we could and still had 2 pounds of meat left over, not to mention a 5 pound skull for stock and a bag full of skin to use in stocks/soups/veggies/etc. 

Lastly, I bought mine from a sustainable butcher shop that buys from local farmers. I chatted one of the farmers up recently...he struggles to profitably sell the entire animal. Restaurants can be great customers, but they only want specific cuts. Frequently just the sexy cuts like steaks/chops/brisket/butts/ribs. Difficult to actually turn a profit on the whole thing if you can't unload all the odd bits. So I guess in some very small way, it helps out the guy actually raising the animal.

I realize most people will not share my views, but it's a really fun cook, and a nice break from the typical bbq fare. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Ahhhmazing!! In Belks with the wife right now so I'm surfing the forum while she pops tags. She came out of the dressing room just then and I showed her the pic of the head on the egg. She said, "omg, I'm horrified!" =)) I think it looks delicious!!
  • @bclarksicle... I dropped by a local butcher shop yesterday to ask about getting a hog's head. He's checking with his pork supplier and is going to let me know. He asked about the brain so, I'm asking you... was the brain in the head you did. If so, did you eat it?