Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard or Veg Oil Base?

I've always used mustard. But I have been reading recently of people using a light coating of veg oil. That the veg oil will grab and penatrate the rub deeper.

I would think the oil would block the smoke flavor and not sure about the penatration of the rub.

Thoughts? 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Ribs, butt, or ?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Lots do not use mustard but can't remember veg oil being used.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I sometimes use mustard on ribs, but have found that I prefer it to oil when doing a crown roast of pork, because the oil runs and the mustard hangs in there.  I usually mix the rub and mustard and brush both on for the crown.  Many times use Italian salad dressing for racks of lamb and leg of same.  Just gives a nice flavor IMHO.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Try mayo. Or mustard.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2014
    Mustard is for hot dogs.

Period.

Nothing more. Certainly not butts.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mustard is for hot dogs.

Period.

Nothing more. Certainly not butts.

Spoken like a man who puts beans in chili :-h

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Pot Potato or potato?
  • Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63

Mustard has no flavor. It helps create a bark as seems like more rub sticks to the butt.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Never used oil, but do find a better bark with mustard. Side note - type of mustard does not seem to affect the final flavour, the rub seems to shine through. Being a mustard junkie I tend to buy strange mustards at farmer's markets. There always seems to be a partly finished jar, well past its best before date hiding in the fridge somewhere. It sees its life end on a butt. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Captpablo said:

Mustard has no flavor. It helps create a bark as seems like more rub sticks to the butt.

+1 I like to use mustard because it has always worked for me,
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Most of the time you don't need any binder for the rub to stick, moisture on the meat should be enough.

If you are going to use a binder, I'd go for mustard, on low and slow cooks it can't really be tasted on the finished product.

Oil on the other hand is ok for searing but not for low and slow... it will not dry out and the crust won't form, it will just become a sort of paste.
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    I'd go with mustard. Always turns out good here.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA