Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with BGE size

Options
Yet another size question ... Recently purchased a town home and am looking to do as one grilling on a small deck that extends off the kitchen. The deck is 43 inches wide and about 12 feet long. I'm trying to decide between the medium and large BGE.

Utility wise, we will mostly be cooking for 2 although we do like to have leftovers for lunch the next day. My hope is that the BGE will be used close to a daily basis. We do occasionally have people over, but that usually maxes out at 8-10 total people at a time.

I'd also like to add egg shelves as a table would definitely not fit (entrance way to deck is a 26 inch sliding door).

We've also considered potentially getting a small BGE because as stated we hope to use this as an everyday cooker. Does anyone have any experience utilizing the medium as a daily cooker? Does it take that much more time to fire up vs the small? Is it practical?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    Options
    Personally I think that the large is a minimum size for a one egg owner. I think it's the perfect size for some mainstays like brisket, ribs, pizza...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Large so you can buy so many more accy's for it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    +1 on the large D train summed it up very well.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    You can always cook something smaller or a large grill, but you may not be able to cook something large on a small cooker. Simple logic, but true. 
  • wibrewer
    wibrewer Posts: 24
    Options
    The medium is thought of as the red-headed step child of eggs.  Too small for bigger cooks and too big to be portable.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Also be safe that is a very small space and distance from the structure. Just my 2 cents.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    veresneedle76 I would with out question get the Large it has plenty of grill real estate that will come in handy when you have a crowd 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • brock9281
    brock9281 Posts: 64
    Options
    Without question, large...end of discussion
    Atlanta, GA
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Large
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • veresneedle76
    Options
    Only concern I have with a large is the width of the deck only measures 3.5 feet and I'm concerned with limited work room to clean out the ash and work around the grill with enough clearance.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    veresneedle76 as far as size difference between the large and medium the large is only 3 1/4 inches bigger then the medium the large grill is 18.25 and the medium is 15 inches as far as deck space I don't think that 3 1/4 inches will make that much difference 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Went through the same process, three years ago. We have a MBGE, suits us fine. Usually cook for 2, with the odd cook for 4. The MBGE does not have as many accessories - but then most of them are nice to have's not need to haves. 
    The MBGE is less "fuelish" than a large, but then it is almost 1/3 smaller. (MBGE at 177 sq. in vs the LBGE at 262 sq. in)
    No regrets with the MBGE, cooks 10 pound butts, two chickens (three if you part them out or do them vertically just above the setter) 3 racks of ribs. 
    I still have my gasser and a small Weber kettle for the big cooks. Lately have been looking at either the SBGE or a Vision "Kub".
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    The two of us have a medium and have never had anything too big to cook. About 12-15 pound turkey is max, but how much left over turkey do two people need? Have cooked three racks of ribs using a rib rack and tomorrow afternoon, a twelve pound picnic is going on for overnight cook.

Maybe rich people can afford more steak than will fit, but we'd never eat that much at one sitting.

I spend about an hour from start to putting meat on. Stir, clean ash and fifteen minutes in chimney before dumping onto the lump already in place, get temp stable and start cooking.

I have a plate setter and a thermometer for eggcessories. I bet you enjoy either.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +3 on the LG.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I will chime in and say that the small suits the 2 of us for 95% of my cooks. I would also say no way would I give up my large. If you have room I would certainly get the large first.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MJLivingston
    Options
    I also cook for two on an near daily basis but the problem you will have when the word gets out that your turning out great food then your guest count will rise. I have a large and love it for ideals on future accessories check out ceramicgrillstore.com. You really can't go wrong either way but there seems like a lot more toys for the large.
    Lexington TN
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options

I have 5 eggs, 2 LG, 1 Med, 1 Small and a Mini, but if I could only have one egg it would be a large............................................ nothing wrong with any other size egg...............................

Jupiter Jim / Gator Man

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If you can afford the large get it. I have a medium, and it was my primary egg for 2 years before I purchased my XL. The medium worked great for those 2 years, I purchased the XL because my family has / is expanding from 2 to 5. I expect to be doing birthday parties for my almost 5 year old soon, etc.

My future plan is to begin bringing my medium to raider games, once the youngest gets a bit older.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I have a large, but I own a home and have plenty of room.  I know what small spaces are like, and sometimes 3 inches is a lot when cramped for space.  If I were in your shoes, I would do a lot of measuring, maybe even make some paper constructions of the 2 different sizes and set one on your deck with whatever other things like chairs and stuff you will have out there, and then set out the other.  I've seen pictures of some pretty amazing amount of meat being cooked on a mini.  Yes, a party of 10-12 being served something flat like steaks or burgers could be challenging on a medium compared to a large, but then, you don't have to serve those at large gatherings, you can cook a whole rib roast and carve it up.  Either way, I think you will love cooking with the Egg no matter which size you buy.
    Good luck with your decision making process.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    If the large will fit and is affordable - go for it. I sold an unopened small so that I could get the large. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I dont think  i have ever heard someone say "I wish we didnt get the large and just got the medium "
    Toronto
  • veresneedle76
    Options
    Ok i initially was going with a medium .... but just ordered a large. I just hope it fits!
    Got a pretty good deal to boot.  Place setter and nest included $849 plus tax.  
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    Congrats- you'll love the large!
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    I have a medium and love it. However, I wish I would have bought a large...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Jeronamo
    Jeronamo Posts: 50
    Options
    I would really recommend the large although i have no experience with a medium. Today I'm cooking 2 racks of back ribs and they take up a lot of real estate as you can see. The large is also big enough that i have cooked pork shoulder for 40-50 people using a tiered rack. Sometimes I wish I had an XL. I think the width you have will comfortably handle a large.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    Large... you can buy all the accessories you need to cook for a big dinner party and still eventually get a mini max for travel, side item cooks and etc.   
    Beaufort, SC