Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Spatch Chicken on XL

pretzelb
pretzelb Posts: 158
Cooked two chickens spatch style last night on the XL with lemon pepper rub. I used lump reducers to push the lump back, then raised the grid with my Woo2. Set dome at 350 and checked in an hour and temps were a bit low so added another 15 until they were done. I was kind of surprised the skin wasn't darker. Taste was good but I think I need to find a way to get more rub under the skin. I had some for lunch today and it was still tender and juicy but it had a smoke flavor for some reason. I almost think I could cook 4 at a time, but then I have no idea why I would need that much chicken. image
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Nice looking chickens! FWIW Cherry wood will darken the skin.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Did you flip the birds or were they in that position the whole cook?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I always flip them to get the skin crispy.  I know you don't have to....
    I have only done this 3 times but I never thought about flipping. My fear would be the skin sticking to the grate and tearing off but I guess I can try. I also might try some cherry chunks next time. I think the smoke flavor I noticed today was from fat drippings which generated a good bit of smoke this time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    pretzelb said:
     I almost think I could cook 4 at a time, but then I have no idea why I would need that much chicken. image
    Pulled chicken is very good. You should be able to do six on the XL. The spatch looks great. Are you using the lump reducing ring?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    I'm actually using the Ang-L brackets for the XL BGE from Ceramic Grill Store. It didn't come out in the picture too well. I always take bad pictures at the end of a cook because I panic that I need to quickly remove the food so I don't take enough time to frame the picture. 
  • Do you have an AR?  You can get two on the top rack of the AR, and I think being higher in the dome would get you better hot air movement over the top of the chicken, giving you darker and crispier skin.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • I did my first Saturday. ..raised a little higher in the dome and at 400...With a little hickory....no peak for an hour..very moist...but a little too crispy / dark...next time I think I'll try 375... It was still great...no burnt taste...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...