Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Prep / Smoke Recommendation

Options
Greygoose
Greygoose Posts: 103
Buddy of mine just gave me two venison roasts. I have no idea what the heck to do with them on the smoker. Venison can be very strange piece of meat. anyone got any basic recipes, marinade tips, cooking temps and internal temp recommendations so i dont ruin these two pieces of deer?

thanks

Greygoose

Comments

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I look forward to some responses here as well. One of my buddies gave me a front shoulder back in deer season. I deboned it and froze it but haven't really known how to cook it. Hopefully you get all kinds of good ideas!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have never cooked a venison roast or shoulder. I have cooked the loins and back straps though. 

I coated with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I wrapped them in apple wood bacon and coated everything with Red Eye Express. 

I cooked it direct and used apple wood chips. 

If I had a roast or shoulder I would do the same thing. I may be way off, but it worked great on the back straps and loin so I would try it the same way. 

Good luck!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bkw6172
    bkw6172 Posts: 13
    Options
    We would take a shoulder and wrap in foil with onions, garlic, carrots, salt, pepper, butter,basil, and cook over a open fire pit in deer camp untill it was fall off the bone tender. If I had to guess it took about 3 to 4 hours depending on the size. You need to be careful with venison, it will dry out quick.