Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Iowa Chops...Two thumbs up

Pre egg I was not a fan of chops...always dry...but lately I can't get enough...These 4 were only 12 bucks total...and my mini athlete loves em...

Cooked these bad boys for 2 hours with some apple wood for smoke...About 175 degrees indirect....When the chop it hit 135 I pulled em and reset direct for sear...ran up to about 600 and hit each side for a couple minutes flipping every 30 seconds or so...final it was about 160...added some broccoli and cauliflower and some potatoes. ..they were fantastic...

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Goddammit I miss Iowa pork. Looks like you made somebody really happy :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Next time try Husker chops.  They're way better!! :D  ;)

I agree my friend....nothing better than a well cooked chop on the egg!!  Your cook looks great!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Sure are a lot of folks on this forum missing out on our Iowa chops!
    NW IOWA
  • Thanks @‌bowhunr Lol...they don't sell Husker chops this side of Omaha...

@Philly35 right on...I took them for granted for too long...
  • @calking yep...He complements me well...won't eat pasta or veggies ect...but there isn't a kind of meat he will pass up...taste tester...
  • BOWHUNR
    What part of Iowa are you from?  Both my parents are Iowa natives and my Grandfather on moms side was a pork producer.  I didn't get this shapely figure I have from eating grilled tofu!!  :D

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • I have a great shape...As long as round still qualifies as a shape.

I live in Pleasant Hill...suburb just East of Des Moines...lived in central IA all my life...but I know nothing about farms...
  • BOWHUNR
    Round is a great shape and it's mine too.  My Grandfather raised both pork and beef, but pork was our staple when I was growing up, beef brought too much money.  Believe it or not bacon was almost non-existent, we ate side pork....uncured bacon.  You take side pork, dredge it in seasoned flour, fry it, slap it on a sandwich and you will never eat a BLT again!!  Good stuff!!

Grandpa gave all of us kids a calf when we were seniors in high school and we could do whatever we wanted with it.  He strongly suggested savings and investment.  My first reaction was to butcher mine and eat it but I sold it for $990.00.  Through cd's and investments my wife and I used it for a down payment on our home which we now own 34 years later.

If we ever sell this place it will sell for $XXX,990.00!!  :D:D

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Awesome story Mike...where do you live now?
  • BOWHUNR
    West Omaha.  Live'in the dream!  Or not.   ;)

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Awesome...we need a eggfest
  • BOWHUNR
    Yes sir, I believe we do!

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    If the little one is happy, the world is happy.  Nice looking chops.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858

Awesome...we need a eggfest

That would be awesome!
    NW IOWA
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Beautiful color on those chops. Nice work!
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Can't beat them Mike, looks great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Thanks @Cymbaline65‌ and @Brisket_Fanatic‌ I appreciate it...still working on perfecting my grill marks...I have a smaller egg in my future for directs and searing...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    All these chops look really good. Try pulling them at 140* instead of 160*. Carrover will take them to 145*, which is USDA safe now. That will take care of any dryness. If you brine you can overcook and they will still be nice and juicy, IMHO.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Thanks @Cymbaline65‌ and @Brisket_Fanatic‌ I appreciate it...still working on perfecting my grill marks...I have a smaller egg in my future for directs and searing...
    Just get a Woo and a  cast iron grate. Then you can do reverse sear with ease. 

Not that I'm suggesting you shouldn't get a second egg... you certainly should! I know you have an XL, I really miss my Med. and would buy another one with the right deal. Might end up with a KJ Jr to take to the IA games. Black of course... with a custom powder coated gold stand and custom Hawkeye handle. (I'm just setting goals here!).
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Lol...I think I'm going after a medium as well...my thought was that I would the use the XL for indirect and the med for direct the most part...will have to look at the woo and the AR real close when get the best egg...shoukd br fairly soon...going to take a look at the KJ jr too before I pull the trigger. ..

Thanks for the tip
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited March 2014
    Sorry Mike. I meant the Spider not the Woo. I suppose you could use the Woo too.

We just need to find a couple of mediums!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • BOWHUNR
    Just remember the only accessories CGS makes for the medium are the Woo2 and the Wok ring.  

Mike

Omaha, NE