Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can someone explain this sudden smoke issue? Continued

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
I thought this was actually better than the " my lump is better than yours" so I copied the last comment and started a new discussion hoping to keep it going. If there is no interest than I apologize. RRP said: Thanks all...but theory and opinions stated so far have just been that. Like Steven said very early on wouldn't it be nice to hear from a producer to tell us more? It just seems strange to me that after 14 years of happily using RO lump that this whole issue has become such a problem never noticed by others before. @RRP - A thought that hit my head on this today concerning the all of a suddenness. Just suppose with the popularaty of the ceramic cooker getting stronger and stronger that there are many people joining the BBQ clan that had never cooked on anything other than gas or briquettes. Their senses and taste buds are not where the old time bbqer's are in regards to smoke smell and flavor so certain brands seam stronger to them( my wife comes to mind here). The newer cooks are cooking more boutique style dishes and not so much stick burner style. There is no doubt in my head that some lumps have a more powerful smoke taste and sometimes even certain bags of what you consider to be your "go to" lump take longer to burn clean, I have experienced this with RW as well as RO. I think moisture during storage has something to do with that. IDK. For my style of cooking and my wife's taste buds I am sticking to RW but to each is own, it's only lump and the end result is all that matters. FWIW - I used to be a diehard ford guy too

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Sorry about the run-on paragraph, iPad formatting kinda sucks

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
      FWIW - I used to be a diehard ford guy too
    Hey we all make mistakes. Granted that was a huge one but at least you saw the light. Glad you got away from those fords. Welcome to the right side.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Lol!! Now I drive Toyota and only burn Rockwood or Ozark Oak. Take that :D

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Lol!! Now I drive Toyota and only burn Rockwood or Ozark Oak. Take that :D
    I like all the above. Just not the ford!! Im ashamed to say that i use to drive one to, but like you i saw the light!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Watching and waiting.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    What is going on ??

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    Sudden smoke comes from driving a Ford? I had one like that too!
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Diptip
    Diptip Posts: 45
    Options
    I fixed it for you all.
    In an idiots head.