Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Royal oak cook

Options
Just bought some royal oak lump from Amazon. Getting ready for my first cook with it ( St. Louis ribs ). I'm hoping I've found a lump I like.

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I've been using RO for several years and find it does all temps good and 20+ hours at 250 in my large. Check around at some local stores and save the shipping costs if you can. I can pick it up at the hardware store for 5-6 dollars for. 8.8 lb bag when on sale.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Home Depot has 17.6 lb bags of Royal Oak for about $13.00, I am sure all the Philly area stores have it in stock.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Mkadilla
    Mkadilla Posts: 38
    Options
    FYI. My one and only bad cook on my Egg since I have had it (~30 cooks) was not waiting long enough for Royal Oak to burn clean before putting the food on the grill. Gave the cook a bad taste. It is documented well on the forums that VOC burnoff takes longer with RO vs. other lump.

Just make sure the "bad" smoke is gone before you start cooking......
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Mkadilla said:

FYI. My one and only bad cook on my Egg since I have had it (~30 cooks) was not waiting long enough for Royal Oak to burn clean before putting the food on the grill. Gave the cook a bad taste. It is documented well on the forums that VOC burnoff takes longer with RO vs. other lump.

Meh, I'd say RO is average for VOC burn off, it's pretty middle of the pack.
  • Mkadilla
    Mkadilla Posts: 38
    Options
    BYS1981 said:

Meh, I'd say RO is average for VOC burn off, it's pretty middle of the pack.
    Rockwood is available within 4 miles of me. No contest!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @Mkadilla‌ I wouldn't know, Rockwood doesn't ship to the great state of California. :((

It sucks.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Go to restaurant depot, 18 pound bags for around $11. Some Walmarts carry it during the warmer months also.  RO is one charcoal I would never pay to have shipped because it really is every where in this area.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    @Mkadilla‌ I wouldn't know, Rockwood doesn't ship to the great state of California. :(( It sucks.
    Sorry man.......we would if we could afford the gamble.  :(
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Royal Oak is my everyday, Fogo is my low n' slow important lump. I I had room here to store a pallet I would do it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Guess that everyone knows I am not a fan of Royal Joke. Good price but I am not impressed.
    Milton, GA.
  • PhillyBoy23
    Options
    I've got prime so shipping isn't an issue. Fogo is good as well.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've got prime so shipping isn't an issue. Fogo is good as well.
    But the price on Amazon is about double what it is at many other places.  Do you live in the Philly area?  Walmart should be getting some in for the season pretty soon.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I like RO. It does the job and is not too expensive.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I use RO for 90% of the cooks - Mostly that is what is available locally. 

I have used WGWW (Old stuff) and I liked it allot.  3 x as much compared to RO but less of a "sootier" smoke and lasted longer.

Garnerville, NY
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I had been ordering RO off Amazon recently for a little under $7 with free shipping for the 8lb bag. I went to order another bag last night and noticed that the price had jumped to $19 for the same bag! Anyone else noticing a sudden spike in lump prices, or is this a one-off case with Amazon?

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Hungry Joe
    Options

Amazon's prices jump around a lot. I use this site to track recent pricing before I order anything. Just copy the ASIN number and paste, in this case the ASIN number is B007JNBNNE.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/

You can check third party pricing and used items also. Though I don't see much demand for used charcoal.

• PhillyBoy23
    Options
    I paid 12.97 for a 17.6 lb bag. Free shipping. That seemed fair to me.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    5.99 for an 8.8 lb bag here locally I'm happy with it. It's my go to lump. Vocs take a while but I like it.
    NW IOWA
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    I paid 12.97 for a 17.6 lb bag. Free shipping. That seemed fair to me.

Where are you at Phillyboy? I use the Restaurant Depot in Pennsauken, right over the river. If you want next time I go we could meet up and you could load up.

Let me know.